Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Wheel Build (Mavic XM819)
  • Shepdon
    Free Member

Hi
    I am currently using Hope Pro 2’s with WTB wheels (standard fittment on my Orange 5), wheels have seen better days so was thinking of getting some new rims as the hubs are in good condition
    My questions are:
    1. Would it be cheaper to buy new rims and spokes + labour to build or cheaper to buy them as a complete package ready built?
    2. Are Mavic XM819ust any good (would like to go tubeless)have read some good reports
    3. What spokes would you recommend
    4. Any good deals around on the above mentioned

I am 14.5 stone and ride mainly AM + trail centres so would prefer strength and reliability more so over light weight
    Many Thanks In Advance
    S

wee-al
    Free Member

Use your old spokes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

1. Dunno price it up yourself.
    2. Yes but stans have a better rep for strength to weight
    3. DT or Sapim or any decent brand there is no magic out there
    4. No idea.

Your old spokes should be ok but poss wrong length.

Make sure the hubs have a lot of life left before rebuilding.

giantjason
    Free Member

you will have no problem with the 819 ust rims.

i am a similar weight and give my rims plenty of abuse and they are still in great condition.

mine are built up with dt swiss db spokes

mboy
    Free Member

1. Usually much cheaper to buy them prebuilt. Shop around though, prices will vary wildly.
    2. Mavic 819’s are very good. Not the widest of rims, but mega strong. A bit on the weighty side compared to Stans too, but they’re the most reliable way to go tubeless and you’ll struggle to bend/dent/ding one.
    3. Double Butted ones, either DT or Sapim are good. Don’t bother with mega light ones like DT Revolutions as they’re too thin in the middle IMO.
    4. Check Merlin Cycles, Check Chain Reaction, check all the usual suspects and also Google is your friend! 😉

AntM
    Free Member

I did this converion on my Orange 5 last year. Have not looked back! Strong , pretty lightweight and tubeless is working well with Maxis High Rollers 2.35 LUST. Did the build myself with a few tips from The Bike Chain (my LBS) and they supplied me with the special tool req’d. DT comp’ spokes used. well worth the money- first proper use in anger was the Avalance enduro at Ae where people were punturing left, right and centre. Do it!

Northwind

819s are fine- not a patch on the Stans equivalent, but then neither is anything else. Mavic are a solid runner up. Do bear in mind that the claimed weights are crooked as they don’t take into account the ferrule things required.

nickf
    Free Member

Northwind – I have to disagree. I’ve manage to mangle two Crest rims, never managed to damage an 819. OK, it could be bad luck, but I prefer to think of it as scientific testing.

Mind you, I weigh roughly the same as a medium hippogruffalotososaurus, so that will have some impact.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I love the flow rim. You can go a few different ways on this. One option is to buy the bits and the wheeler book and DIY. The other option is sell what you’ve got and use the cash towards some hope hoops. Due to the planned change to the hub in Feb, I believe there are some deals to be had on d stock.

M6TTF
    Free Member

nickf – can’t really compare an 819 to a crest though

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Can’t really answer most of the questions, but my XM819 rims on Pro2 hubs with Sapim spokes are a lovely wheelset.

Very easy to run tubeless with UST tyres – up first time, no fuss and no punctures for 6 months.

Built by Life Cycles in Bolton on a recommendation from here.

neil853
    Free Member

I too am around the same weight (alright a bit heavier at 15 1/2 stone 🙂 ) but i’ve had 819’s for two years running them both in the Alps and UK with no problems at all. Really easy to use tubesless aswell.

I’ve got two wheelsets with 819’s on, one was built onto my existing hubs and one i bought as a wheelset. It was much cheaper to get them in the wheelset form, but it was nice talking to the wheelbuilder (Paul Hewitt @ Hewitts Cycles, Leyland) about what build pattern i would like and what spoke type.

If you went for the pre-built option it would either give you a spare wheelset option or funds towards the conversion.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Probably cheaper to buy them off me. Gunsmoke hubs with silver spokes…

Edit – Sorry, useless mine are 150mm rear.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jebus Crest is about 30% lighter than a 819!

scruff
    Free Member

819 are bombproof and dont need faffy tape or rubber strips or owt.

Saccades
    Free Member

I had xm819 attached to a ck front and an alfine rear which have been perfect for the last 2 years using Halo choirmaster UST tyres.

Liked ’em so much I got a set of Pro2/xm819’s built for my other bike in the summer.

Just a shame that the hope machines can’t build them into hope hoops as cost really comes into consideration if you are starting from scratch.

Northwind

scruff – Member

“819 are bombproof and dont need faffy tape or rubber strips or owt.”

There’s nothing faffy about the tape and once fitted the rims work pretty much exactly the same as a Mavic UST. It’s one of those things people who’ve never used them think matters 😉

nickf – Member

“Northwind – I have to disagree. I’ve manage to mangle two Crest rims, never managed to damage an 819. OK, it could be bad luck, but I prefer to think of it as scientific testing.”

The Flow is lighter than an 819 never mind the Crest.

nickf
    Free Member

Northwind – I know, I’m not properly comparing like with like, but the received wisdom always seems to be that Stans rims are lighter than a bag of crisps, and stronger than kryptonite. I was merely making the point that there are times when the strength of the 819 is worth the additional weight.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Wheel Build (Mavic XM819)’ is closed to new replies.