Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Wheaton terriers
  • CheesybeanZ

anyone got one or know the breed ?

ir12daveor
    Free Member

Just got ourselves an Irish Softcoated one last week…

She’s a handful.

CheesybeanZ

thats the one , where did you get her from ? any pics yet ?

ir12daveor
    Free Member

We live in Switzerland and imported her from a breeder in Germany. It wasn’t that easy to find a breeder when we decided that we wanted one of them though.

I’ll see if I can post some pics somewhere this evening. She’s super cute, but I’m not joking about her being a handful. We got her at 9 weeks and she’s already got a head of her own… and is not scared of using it.

Stranga
    Free Member

Got an Irish terrier here which I think is same family, full of character but very intelligent and trainable all be it hard work. Puppy stage can be a handfull be bear with it and you will end up with a very loyal great family dog that is happy to run with the bike, play with the kids………plenty of excercise required though so perfect for an outdoor type of family.

CheesybeanZ

we`re looking at the wheaton and lakeland and finding it hard to find a local breeder , we did have a westie so have an idea for the terrier ways 😯

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

CheesybeanZ, Have you looked here?. That’s how we found our Border terrier.

richc
    Free Member

My GF used to have a Wheaton Terrier, nice dog unless it took a disliking to another animal/dog.

Killed 3 cats, and two other dogs in its lifetime. The other dogs did the growling, snarling, snapping thing at it, it would look at them funny then latch onto their throats and shake until it had killed them.

Apparently not uncommon for them to bit a bit like this as well, as once they grab something they shake and shake until its dead.

CheesybeanZ

Killed 3 cats, and two other dogs in its lifetime

😯

CheesybeanZ

Mulletus Maximus , yes but each time the alert comes through they`ve already sold the pups .

richc
    Free Member

CheesybeanZ apparently it isn’t uncommon for them to be a bit bipolar, and they are known for not taking a lot of shit. This has been confirmed by the 5 or 6 owners that I have met (as my GF stops to talk to any owners of Wheaton terriers as it was her first dog) who mentioned they have to be very careful with theirs around other dogs as well.

I only saw it when it was an old dog (12 years old) and it was still a bit mental then, and had to be muzzled when near other dogs, as it wasn’t shy about showing them who was boss.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

We has that problem too.

Have you tried champdogs and epupz?

http://epupz.co.uk/
    http://www.champdogs.co.uk/

angeldust
    Free Member

Great dogs, but can turn quickly (as mentioned above) so extra careful owners only.

CheesybeanZ

MM thanks for the link – have registered on both sites 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

My Lakeland

We got her from a breeder in Lancaster.

CheesybeanZ

thats a good looking dog surfer , how big is she ?

surfer
    Free Member

Just measured her she is 15″ to the shoulder, she weighs 7kg so is in good proportion.

Thick as a coffee house cup though!!!

She does yap a bit though which is a bit of a pain. Good family dog and great with my kids (teenagers) Doesnt dig as many do.

CheesybeanZ

Thick as a coffee house cup though!!!

pmsl , i may borrow that for future use 😆

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Wheaton terriers’ is closed to new replies.