Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • What'san average water bill?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Wife and two kids at school/college. And we all watch the useage.
    £55/month. I was a little surprised that it was dearer than allthe electricity we use.

wors

you on a meter? just had my bill for this year £15/month. Normal usage i would say

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes on a meter, need to find out if it's been checked.

djglover
    Free Member

Well when we were a working couple we paid £26 a month, now we pay £46 with 2 kids. BUT as our consumption changed dramatically so we are paying off a debt equivalent to £8 a month. So we use £38 a month in reality, and thats with a wife and 2 kids at home all day with the washer on once a day at least.

br
    Free Member

On a meter – 3 of us and never pay attention to usage – £20 a month.

bassspine
    Free Member

depends hugely on your waterboard. South West Water – £63 a month. I love paying for the most expensive water in the country.

stucol
    Free Member

£163 a year for lovely soft scottish water. Included with Council Tax bill.

Still folk buy bottled water sourced from within 40 miles of here.

Go figure !

Frizzer
    Free Member

Two of us on a meter at £15/month.

cinnamon_girl

I have a meter, am single and pay £20 per month. That seems excessive!

drain

The Ofwat site gives the average as well as the metered / unmetered, water / sewerage splits. Also company by company so you can see how it varies across the country.

average bills

The price limits for the next 5 year period (up to 2015) have just been set for all but Bristol Water (currently contesting Ofwat's ruling by appealing to the Competition Commission).

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Water meter – me living on my own £120 a year.

mark.laird
    Free Member

£300 a year use as much as you want
    we were in Suffolk for 6 mths on a meter sent us a bill for £1100 on a meter WTF

Dibbs
    Free Member

My bill came the other day (Wessex Water) £666.28, unmetered.
    I think it was something like £30 when we moved here in 1984 😥

mtbmatt
    Free Member

We pay £40 a month and its just 2 of us and were out most of the day.
    We are out most of the day as well. Considering a water meter because we feel its excessive.

uplink
    Free Member

£272 – un-metered
    6 of us in a 5 bed Victorian semi

WillH

About £2 a month for two of us. But then we live in NZ (pay $5 ish a month) so not really a useful comparison… 😉

lowey

38.31 per month.

Wors.. how the hell do you manage that ???

Del

the last bill i got at our old house, band d rateable, some ooooooo 8 years ago = 1200/year. sww.

oldfart

I can't help thinking that once everybody is on a meter the inevitable will happen .Water companies will see their income drastically reduce so the price of metered water will be hiked up .

Andy-R

About £140 per year in Ballaugh on the Isle of Man and €40 a year in Platsa in Greece.

boxelder

£360

But it beats walking miles every day to fill a bucket from a dirty river and then having to bury our own s#ite, while worrying when our kids are next going to be struck down by some life threatening disease.
    http://www.wateraid.org

I know I'm being melodramatic, flame away……

uplink
    Free Member

I don't want a meter
    The way our pipes are configured will make it very difficult for the water co. to fit one as the feed comes into my boundary & then splits to 3 properties

Rio

£250 a year for the water and £150 for the waste. But the man's coming to survey us for a meter this morning so hoping that will go down (but not by much judging by some of the posts on here).

njee20
    Free Member

We pay £40 a month and its just 2 of us and were out most of the day.
    We are out most of the day as well. Considering a water meter because we feel its excessive.

I wouldn't! We're metered, 2 of us, out most of the day, just had our first one at £45/month.

fwokinfwok
    Free Member

3 bed bungalow. One couple – £77 p/m
    changed to meter and now got 2 kids, baths all the time, washer on constantly etc £36 p/m

tang
    Free Member

2 adults 2 children, all shower daily and the washing machine goes like the clackers. £300 ish per year metered.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Oldgit – are you on mains sewerage? You get double billed as it is assumed that the majority of the water that goes into the house goes out as sewerage again.

Check that it's not an estimated reading – that can upset your billing – also if your previous one was estimated too low perhaps and you are making up some payments.

Cinammon girl – £20 a month for all that water isn't too bad. Try buying enough water in bottles to shower in, flush your toilets etc – that would cost a little more than £20.

wors

Dave, got it changed to a mmeter. i think a cubic metre of water works out at £2.50 ish.

TeaBoyPaul

we pay £600 a year I think.. unmetered.
    Tricky as to whether it would be cheaper on a water meter or not… its not like you can go back once you've committed to having a meter if you find it works out more expensive!

drain

TBP – that's not the case. You're on a win-win, as if it turns out that rateable value as the basis for your bill is cheaper for you having trialled a meter, you can revert within 12 months.

Again, the Ofwat link gives the facts and FAQs on this:
    meter switching

It also gives a link to one of many calculators for what your likely metered bill would be if you're considering a switch. Each company provides one as well on their own sites.

TeaBoyPaul

Oooh, didn't know that… might have to investigate after all then!

Thanks drain (appropriate name for the topic!)

P

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Detached house, 3 of us in here. £170 per year for water, sewerage, VAT and all standing charges.

kimbers

2 of us 20 quid a month

drain

Nominative determinism in action! Yeah with a nickname like this (as predicted by my grandad) since 13yrs old what other industry would I end up working in? 😉

Seem to be a disproportionate number of Flood, Tempest, Drinkwater, Bourne etc type names in the water sector. Although I was in a meeting once with 5 Daves out of 7 people, so maybe that's the real anomaly…

bananaworld
    Free Member

boxelder – Member
    But it beats walking miles every day to fill a bucket from a dirty river and then having to bury our own s#ite, while worrying when our kids are next going to be struck down by some life threatening disease.
    http://www.wateraid.org

What boxelder said. We don't know how lucky we are, etc. ('cept that we really don't appreciate how lucky we are…)

ooOOoo
    Free Member

£27 month for 1 bed flat, just me, on a meter!

I would agree with banana – 2 weeks without water 2 years ago here due to the floods was not pleasant. Much rather do without electricity.

But Severn Trent Water should have paid us compensation, yet they got around it on a technicality. And now my water bill seems excessive. Not happy

xc-steve
    Free Member

LAME! Didn't consider having to pay for water, forgot it was included in my current rent!

How do water companies work? You stuck with one? Or is it like Gas/Electricity you can choose the most competitive?

yoshimi

£36 per month on a meter for two of us out all day
    last year was £56 month….since dont put shower on as powerfull

drain

The value of water – bit of a live topic in the industry right now. The Mythe floods raised awareness for a service that's seen as a given but is highly appreciated when it's not there.

Interesting to see ooOOoo's view – power vs water (and other trade-offs) in terms of essential services, and other demands on people's wallets, is something we're trying to understand via a lot of customer research.

I grew up in countries where the water (and power, and fuel) supply was intermittent, and when it did come out of the tap it wasn't potable. And that's a whole lot better than having to carry containers of water taken from a river downstream of untreated outfalls.

So perhaps it's no surprise I ended up doing what I do now 💡

Big fan of WaterAid.

cookeaa

Ours came in at £350-ish for the year (paying DD) we’re in Reading supplied by Thames water…

My parents in Dorset, supplied by Wessex water (I think?) reckoned theirs is over double that £700+, so they’re getting a meter.. They are “empty nesters” now so their water use is way down on what it would have been 15 years ago…

The theory being you will only save money going on a meter if you don’t actually use lots of water, we piss the stuff away, so sticking to local rates isn’t such a bad option for us right now…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘What'san average water bill?’ is closed to new replies.