Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • What's your favorite board game?
  • mrsgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been contemplating challenging Molgrips to RISK but we’d need to buy it…and then I saw Risk Godstorm and I got all excited.

chvck
    Free Member

Pretty big fan of Scrabble!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I used to like Risk when the pieces were little coloured bits of plastic but I think they changed them to be soldiers and horses and such crap 🙁

B_Leach
    Free Member

Got very much into Carcassonne whilst at uni, very easy to pick up! though it’s not much of a 2 player game..

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m terrible at Risk, so you’ll beat me easily.

You might even say I’m Risk averse.

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to like Risk when the pieces were little coloured bits of plastic but I think they changed them to be soldiers and horses and such crap

Hmm, interesting insight into the mind of Barnes there 🙂

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Diplomacy

aka_Foamy
    Free Member

http://www.leisuregames.com/

I used to shop there a fair bit. I can’t access the site at the moment (net filter at work) but I remember them having a fair few reviews. Also check out http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for some ideas.

Try a few off beat games, whilst they may take a little longer to learn they really do pay off in the end.

For a quick win pick up a copy of fluxx, it’s a brilliant little card game and you’ll go through the planning and scheming of risk without the ‘luck of the dice’ arguments.

Cougar

Got very much into Carcassonne whilst at uni,

Carcassonne rocks. Also enjoying Ticket To Ride a lot at the moment.

Also partial to the odd Backgammon here and there.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Smash Harriott. If you aint played it you aint lived!

Cougar

If the question is “what board game do you recommend,” incidentally, the answer is Settlers of Catan. It’s about as ubiquitous in board game circles as Monopoly is amongst non-gamers.

j_me
    Free Member

Another vote for Backgammon.
    Need to use the doubling cube though!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got no idea how backgammon works!

Harry_the_Spider

Stoner
    Free Member

I play a lot of backgammon – made my own board a while ago and now it lives in the local pub. Monday night is games night, mainly BG, Crib and Dominos.

Stoner
    Free Member

I play a lot of backgammon – made my own board a while ago and now it lives in the local pub. Monday night is games night, mainly BG, Crib and Dominos.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Interesting you should say that abt the pieces SofB because I’m the exact opposite I want the cute horses and canons to stomp all over Mol’s countries, umm parade in front of Mol, move on the board.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

I love Scrabble too, I used to spend my summers playing my mother on the front porch, but Mol is not so keen and so we play Upwards some as he likes that better (I think because he can win that one).

kennyp
    Free Member

Haven’t played it in decades, but in work the other day we were talking about Escape From Colditz. I used to love that.

RealMan
    Free Member

Does chess count..?

nicko74

Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs, definitely!

molgrips – Member

I’m terrible at Risk, so you’ll beat me easily.

You might even say I’m Risk averse.
    And yes molgrips, you might indeed…

Rubber_Buccaneer

For more than two – Scrabble
    For two – Backgammon
    To end in a fight – Trivial Pursuit

mrsgrips
    Free Member

I’ve obviously not had enough board games in my life as every other one mentioned I seem to have to look up! I blame it on growing up with 4 sisters in American backcountry

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Ah Trivia Pursuit! That’s the game Mol and I flirted over first. 🙂 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

Ah Trivia Pursuit! That’s the game Mol and I flirted over first

Lucky I wasn’t playing, it would have ended in a big argument & you’d never have spoken again!

Cougar

Backgammon is ace; really tactical but you can learn it in about five minutes, the actual gameplay is really simple.

molgrips
    Free Member

but Mol is not so keen

I am! I like Scrabble! Just out of Upwords and Scrabble I prefer Upwords.

How on earth do you fight over Trivial Pursuits? You either get it right or you don’t.

Monopoly on the other hand, that’s a different board game altogether. It’s because you don’t just lose, you get sucked into a long drawn out death where the writing is on the wall, everyone can see that, but you keep fighting, and they keep putting in the boot, squeezing every last drop of air from your choking gasping struggling body… until you finally drown on IOUs.. destitute.. debt-ridden.. it’s pitiful.

t_i_m
    Free Member

Settler Of Catan
    +1

ooh, I used to love Escape From Colditz

nicko74

Mol, from your description of Monopoly, it sounds remarkably similar to the state many countries now find themselves in. So you could have fun AND learn about macro-economic policy. How exciting!

elaineanne
    Free Member

monopoly…i never ever got a chance to buy park rd !!!! 👿
    more like old bent rd ! 😉

StuE
    Free Member

I enjoy Scrabble, not a board game but as anyone played a card game called Racing demon, other halfs family play it and it can get a bit heated

leffeboy

Settlers of catan. Great for long slow summer evenings

redthunder
    Free Member

Chess

fubar
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to my daughter being ready for a game of Ludo, or the more ‘sophisticated’ version Pachisi / Parcheesi (a bit more strategy than Ludo as you can create ‘blocks’)

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Settlers of Catan looks very interesting. Civ in board form?

And I’m not fooled Mol you’ve made many excuses when previously asked to play Scrabble… tired, headache, not enough time…. 😉

Cougar

Two things with Settlers,

It needs three or four people, it doesn’t scale very well with two, and

It involves trading with other players, which is a bit of a culture shock to anyone used to ‘traditional’ games. Not that this is a bad thing, it really means you’re playing ‘together’ rather than the old “play your turn, wait bored for 20 minutes, play your next turn…” mechanic that you’re probably used to.

Cougar

Settlers is the classic ‘gateway game’ – it’s the one most widely used to transition from non-gamer / ‘traditional’ gamer into playing games that, well, aren’t crap.

bassspine
    Free Member

Mousetrap

chvck
    Free Member

There are some classic games being mentioned here! I’m also a fan of Upwords 🙂

JulianA
    Free Member

Trivial Pursuit
    Carom
    Go (but I’m rubbish at it!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘What's your favorite board game?’ is closed to new replies.