Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Whats worth visiting in Florence/Firenze?
  • blaggers
    Free Member

Off to Florence at the weekend. Can anyone recommend stuff worth doing? Seems like theres lots of art galleries with large queue’s, but would appreciate any other stuff/experiences that people enjoyed there.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

There are some really nice walks from the City centre – you’ll be amazed how quickly you’re in a very rural area.

The Palazzo Piti and Boboli gardens are probably the best place to visit if you want to avoid crowds/queues. It’s absolutely stunning and you get a bit of all sorts – art, architecture, gardens etc…

theyEye
    Free Member

The best thing in Firenze is the Buca dell’Orafo.
    Otherwise, if I had to leave the table, I’d visit the Palazzo Vecchio, Uffizi (book tickets on the internet!!!), Piazza Michaelangelo and a couple of churches.

mcboo
    Free Member

The Uffizi Gallery is a treasure. Even if you arent much interested in art, just go, you won’t regret it. The room-full of Boticelli’s is astonishing.

And climb the Duomo, right into the roof, it’s incredible.

theyEye
    Free Member

mcboo’s right, the Duomo is memorable. Steep entrance fee though…

blaggers
    Free Member

Cheers all.. will check those out.

TooTall
    Free Member

The Irish bar was a pretty lively pint – but not cheap!

Enjoy the art – some of it is splendid.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lots of religious stuff. That’s all I remember.

That and sitting in my tent overlooking the city doing a watercolour of the view.

theteaboy
    Free Member

We climbed the bell tower instead of the Duomo – you can’t see the Duomo if you’re standing on top of it!

The view over the city from the Boboli gardens is stunning.

Amazing restaurant on the south side of the river, right next to the Ponte Vecchio. I think it was called Ristaurante Alfredo <something>

The ice cream has to be seen to be believed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I lived there for 2 years, all stuff mentioned is brill, you can hire a segway now, best hire a bike though cos’ theres too much to see…
    If you can/have time go up to the top of the Biboli and look out over the city and into the hills where I used to ride my bike.

Say Hi to Katharine for me if you bump into her..

cr500dom
    Free Member

WE flew in to Pisa, bus to Florence for 8Euros and Hired KTM`s from Erica at Stradanova, who is about 5 minutes walk from the bus station. Had a guide for a day and did Florence pretty much to Sienna off road, it was fantastic 😀

Had a KTM for the whole week and just did the last day Guided, well worth it and Rush hour, in Florence, on a 200kg Dirtbike on knobblies, 2-up in the wet is an experience I`ll never forget.

Beautiful part of the world and cant wait to go back again !!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Can’t add anything to the above really – was only there for a day, except….

Beautiful part of the world and cant wait to go back again !!

+1 🙂

blaggers
    Free Member

Thanks All, I can stop feeling bad about leaving reading the guide book until the last minute, I’ll read up on the sites you’ve recommended.

BillMC

The market in Florence is seriously good for leather belts and triple weight silk ties (for v little money). Make sure you see Michaelangelo’s David (the real one), it is mind blowing.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Been there a fair amount in the past

The one thing I wouldn’t miss is the Fra Angelico frescos at San Marco.

Also try eating in some of the restaurants south of the arno, a bit more off the beaten track.

can-uk
    Free Member

i did this..

http://www.tuscanybyvespa.com/

it was brilliant and would do it again in an instant.

montylikesbeer

Definitely the uffizi and as others have said book and pay on line before you get there (saves a 2 hour q)

emanuel
    Free Member

if you’re in the leather (but not only)market
    [mercato di san lorenzo],you can eat at da mario,might have to wait a bit outside but it’s worth it.and cheap.via rosina 2.
    if you’re into photography there’s the alinari museum next to the station.
    campanile di giotto.
    ponte vecchio.
    lucca and pisa are worth seeing too,as is siena.

emanuel
    Free Member

and watch a room with a view.or read it.
    funny how nothing really changes.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Boboli gardens are great (asked my wife to marry me there… aaaah)

I really enjoyed just walking around the town in the evening and watching all the families doing the same. Apparently some tradition behind it.

Nice vibe to the place.

emanuel
    Free Member

apart from house prices and the locals..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Whats worth visiting in Florence/Firenze?’ is closed to new replies.