Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What's the chain of choice?
  • Brainflex

Time to fit new chain n cassette. Having read of sram chain probs what the recommended chain nowadays?

Coleman
    Free Member

I always use Shimano chains on Shimano drivetrains – they do seem smoother. Never had one break in 20+ years of mountain biking (oops shouldn't have said that).

bungalistic
    Free Member

For the last year I used the sram 951 chain, it has been shortened and lengthened too many times to remember as I kept switching between single speed and 9 speed, and pins were re-used everytime, haven't had a problem with it. Only just replaced it with another one now as the old one had stretched.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ChrisE
    Free Member

What Sram probs were these? The small batch of 10 speed road chains that has a weak link?

C

tinsy
    Free Member

What budget? I bought a campag 9 speed one for £15 that seems fine and I know the £15 KMC ones are also very good. (CRC prices by the way)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What Sram probs were these? The small batch of 10 speed road chains that has a weak link?

Quite a few people have experienced link faliures on 9sp chains as well, I had two before I gave up using SRAM.

I used to swear by Shimano but have now moved to KMC as you get more bang for your buck.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

I always use the SRAM PC850 with a Shimano casette. Very reliable and not too painful on the wallet either.

In my experience Shimano chains are nowhere near as good as SRAM, the SRAM ones wear out slower and are cheaper.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

KMC gold anodised for me 😀

Had plenty of Shimano chains break on me

uplink
    Free Member

Always used SRAM PC59/951 or whatever they're called now

Never had any issues at all will them

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

SRAM PC971S are £16 on CRC at the minute, only £1 more then a 951 🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

I always use Campagnolo 9 sp chains they just seem to last

uplink
    Free Member

SRAM PC971S are £16 on CRC at the minute, only £1 more then a 951

I'm sure that's a great deal PP but I doubt I'd get an extra £1 worth of use from it 🙂

Besides, I still have 7 left from the flood sale purchase last winter

plop_pants
    Free Member

Campag. Last longer and are stronger than anything else I've used.

tinsy
    Free Member

I thought I was breaking the mould going for Campag… it appears not 🙂

As the wise old bike bloke down the pub told me, a bikes not a bike without a bit of Campag on it.

4ndyB
    Free Member

KMC for me (they also make Shimano chains)

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Wipperman.

The only make of chain I've never managed to snap.

saladdodger
    Free Member

tinsy – Member
    I thought I was breaking the mould going for Campag… it appears not

As the wise old bike bloke down the pub told me, a bikes not a bike without a bit of Campag on it.

remember Campag wears in Shimano wears out 😉

The chains are £16.99 from parker international

stumpy01

I had a KMC chain put on my bike at last yrs 24/12 as I fubared mine. It was only £15 and uses a powerlink type connector.
    Not had any issues with it, so I've just replaced it with another from CRC – they seem to do the job & do it well.

Friends of mine use SRAM chains and have had 3 failures in the last 4 months or so. Never used one myself, but won't be bothering seeing as the KMC ones seem to fit the bill.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Anything but Wippermann stainless.

Happy with KMC on all the bikes at the moment.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

KMC

jim
    Free Member

Friends of mine use SRAM chains and have had 3 failures in the last 4 months or so.

Perhaps your friend is the problem here? I've never snapped a Shimano, KMC or SRAM chain.

Pook

I've used three SRAM chains in the last year after recommendations on here. Sadly, they seem to be made from cheese and papier mache. Never ever had so many snaps and bends in a chain, and I'm not even putting a lot of torque through them

Gone back to Shimano now and not had a problem – touch wood.

Northwind

Whichever KMC is in your pricerange.

rootes1

Use sram 971 on my Brompton and mtb and never had any issues

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What's the chain of choice?’ is closed to new replies.