Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What's the best degreaser ??
  • marty_mayhem
    Free Member

I know there are the spray cans with all the fruit juices in etc! They only last a few cleans.

What are the pro’s using? You often see pro road teams using a solution and applying it with a paint brush for extra effect?

sam_underhill

Get a big 5l container on ebay of concentrated industrial citrus degreaser. Requires watering down anyway and that quantity lasts for ages. I guess you could use it neat, but I guess it might need some water to work properly anyway.

FuzzyWuzzy

Fenwicks or Finishline are the best bike brand degreasers I’ve bought, once my 5l runs out though I’m switching to generic stuff (i.e. same liquid just half the price and in a different can).

nickswolves
    Free Member

Fenwicks foaming degreaser works really well, especially with the chain sponge you can get to go with it. I personally think it cleans chains better than a chain bath.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Jizer.

househusband

All in my humble opinion, of course, and probably overkill – but it really, really works;

Brake cleaner

joolsburger
    Free Member

Comma from the motor factors place. 5l is about a fifteen quid and lasts forever

Northwind

What are you wanting to degrease? For chains, take it off and chuck it in paraffin, a 4 litre bottle will last you til the end of time as it’s reusable (just let the crap settle and draw off the top)

DezB
    Free Member

This stuff. Not good for the planet, but sure gets oil and grease off

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

+1 for Fenwick’s foaming stuff. I spray a tiny bit on and then clean round the chain with a toothbrush for a quick clean. IF it needs a deeper clean, I run it through the chain cleaning tool. Smells like toothpaste, which is a bonus.

nealy
    Free Member

What are you wanting to degrease? For chains, take it off and chuck it in paraffin, a 4 litre bottle will last you til the end of time as it’s reusable (just let the crap settle and draw off the top)

This +1

You’ll end up removing grease form where you don’t want to (bearings etc) if you use too much Jizer or Gunk although they both do an excellent job.

gee
    Free Member

Gunk on the chain and cassette etc. Decant a little bit into a small cup and scrub with a toothbrush.

Rinse with water, spray with GT85 then run through a rag.

Used this method for the last 15 years.

teamslug
    Free Member

I use DEB Janitol Plus. 5 litres must have lasted me 3 years. You need to dilute it down.Used it for last 7 years. Bike hasn’t corroded or dropped to bits..just stayed nice and clean. Its pink like MUC-OFF too.

http://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Cleaning-%26-Maintenance-Products/Deb-Janitol-Plus-Degreaser.htm

brassneck

In DezB’s vein, I’ve used carb cleaner when I want it really really clean. So clean it’s probably bad for some components.

Use in a well ventilated area!

binners

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

johnnystorm

Petrol/Diesel. Only £1.35ish a litre. Available in most Tesco stores now.

Liftman

Jizer

Mikeypies
    Free Member

please dont use petrol, diesel or parafin is much safer

stavromuller
    Free Member

Astonish engine degreaser, £1 for 750ml at JTF, it’s the dogs. Hose bike, spray degreaser all over, hose bike (thoroughly) and for buildup areas like rear casette and chain rings, lightly brush. I’ve got a white Mount Vision with bloody loads of hard to get to areas and it shifts the lot, muck grease and dog shit.

pitduck
    Free Member

gunk or diesel 😀

JohnB
    Free Member

Washing up liquid.

badbob
    Free Member

swarfega patio and drive way, cleaner, £10 for 5L

mix with 50/50 for bike, neat for drive train, spray on with pressure bottle, wait 2 min, wash off

got it in b and q

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Petrol/Diesel. Only £1.35ish a litre. Available in most Tesco stores now.

Never ever ever ever use petrol as a cleaner. Petrol vapour is very highly imflammable, and one day you will regret using it, as I did.

Heating oil is cheaper than paraffin (or diesel), and in fact is just a different grade of kerosene than paraffin.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What's the best degreaser ??’ is closed to new replies.