Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What's it worth? Santa Cruz Super 8 1999
  • angeldust
    Free Member

I have a Santa Cruz Super8 DH bike in storage in my loft that hasn't been ridden sine 2004! I think I'm going to have to concede that it's unlikely I'm ever going to get back into downhill, so I might as well sell it.
    I've no idea what it's worth so any advice would be appreciated. It's a 1999 Super8 frame, in good condition for it's age (not ridden for 5 of those years!). 1999 7 inch boxxers (lowers replaced in 2003), Hope DH4 brakes, MRP chain device, RaceFace DH BB and cranks Mavic DH rims, Thomson post and stem, variety of Michelin DH tyres etc. All good stuff that DH racers were using in the mid 2000's, plus the rest of the gear Full face helmet, full Dainese suit etc.
    I reckon it would still be a great DH race bike or Alpine bike for the summer, and would be available at the fraction of the price of something new, especially if you include the rest of the gear.
    Is it worth splitting? How much is a realistic price for the lot. Just looking for ballpark figues as I know not all the details are there.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Which version was the 99? The mk1 Super8 that looked like a Bullit on steroids? With the big hole through the swingarm? If so, it won't be worth an awful lot I'm afraid. Maybe £500 if you're lucky…

angeldust
    Free Member

First year (I think) of the mark II (without the big hole in swingarm). It's idle so will get rid even if it's not worth much. Any other opinions?

scruff
    Free Member

It'll be worth piss all unless you split, a few hundred by someone intersted in retro DH bikes if youre lucky.

Chuck a pic of it up though, Id love to see it !

cookeaa

Hmmm, assuming it’s not cracked (and a fair few Super 8’s did crack on the swing arm apparently) it’s probably worth a couple of quid, you might get more for it split it up to sell as parts…

SDH Classifieds are always full of DH kiddies looking for a bargain but they won’t recognise the frame as the classic it is (to them it will just be an old DH bike) and will value it down accordingly, maybe £300-400 if it’s in good order seeing as it’s a decade old now I reckon you might drum up some interest via Retro bike, where the users seem to be older (hence the nostalgia) and thus a tad more flush, so long as it’s mostly “period” kit and not too scratched/dented…

The old Hope brakes always find a buyer, and the boxers will probably sell for ~£150 unless they are total scrappers…

You might scrape £650 for the whole bike maybe?

Dunno people can be quite funny about 2nd hand DH bikes…

nasher
    Free Member

A friend of mine had one..It cost more to post it than what the bike was worth.so he just gave it to some kid.

It may be worth a bit in 10 years time though!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ah, mk2 makes a difference then because they're awesome bikes! You'd be looking at £250, maybe £300 for the frame and back wheel (SC branded Hadley bolt-thru?). Then all the bits, at least a few hundred – £100 for the Boxxers at least, DH4s are the most immense brakes I've ever owned so £100 maybe for those etc etc

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What's it worth? Santa Cruz Super 8 1999’ is closed to new replies.