Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Whats going on with Trek?
  • chiefP
    Free Member

Well cancelled my eagerly awaiting Slash 9….gutted but im not waiting after 4 date changes.

Ordered in September…arrival date Mid October

Great dont mind waiting

1st date change Now Beginning November

No worries

2nd date change

Now end of November

…………

3rd Date Change

Early December

Now starting to get a bit annoyed

4th date change and the one that broke me

Now 28/12/2011

This extends throughout most of the 2012 range, if your a small 15.5 or large 21.5 they have an even longer wait 30/03/2012.

What is it with the dates this year, most were out before xmas last year but this year some wont be availiable until March by then 6 months later the 2013 bikes start gettig release.

Is there any other companies going down the same road or is it just Trek?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like Audi, got a 5 month wait for a new A3 S-line granted we kinda attacked the options list, but 5 months!!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Ring their local agent? see their website for help/number.

chiefP
    Free Member

Already have rang Trek UK themselves, the dates are all over the place From the 11th November stretching to 30th March for the EX,Remedy and Slash depending on what version you get.

SBrock
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like Audi, got a 5 month wait for a new A3 S-line granted we kinda attacked the options list, but 5 months!!

you must be minted, I could only afford a basic 1.9 tdi, got it cheap as it was excess stock! Lovely cars though!

njee20
    Free Member

Happened last year too with my Top Fuel 9.9, ordered September, due October, then January, then back to November, then February, then they actually cancelled my order as they were only getting 5 and I was number 6. Then it arrived the next day, having disappeared off the dealer site!

If you really want the bike does a few weeks really matter?

snakebite
    Free Member

I sold my carbon Remedy last week expecting to get my 2012 Remedy straight away…..promised for end November…. so I’m down to one bike which I have probably sold the forks off it, only to find coil Lyriks are out of stock til December sometime….

looks like I’ll be raiding laddo’s forks!

Northwind

Imagine they’ve got a bit of Aaron Gwin Effect going on…

mrmo
    Free Member

try the Trek Top Fuel 2009 Alu models, they never actually made it. my 2010 is actually a 2009, just 12 months late….

mudshark
    Free Member

I got my 2012 Madone 5.9 frame a couple of weeks ago, initially thought I’d have to wait until Jan – everyone else will though I think.

chiefP
    Free Member

njee20,

Does a few weeks matter,2 no 8 yes most definatly iv been off the Bike Bike due to injury since September due back on in about 2 weeks by then id hoped to hop on a new Bike by then. I have no other bike as it sold but i suppose i could use my DH Bike…or maybe not, i have 3 weeks off work for X-Mas and dont fancy sitting around waiting for something that long.

Good thing is now the Remedy 9.8 is due next week!!! In the size i want.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

About right for a lot of manufacturers.
    Giant are very similar with moving dates, as were Felt.

wrecker
    Free Member

Shame, that slash looks lovely. Gutted for you chief.

MrGFisher
    Free Member

Same here. Ordered a Remedy 9.8 as soon as i saw photo’s of it. I was told end of September delivery. That got moved to October the 17th so i sold my other bikes. Now i’m being told its definately going to be here the 7th of November though i’m not holding my breath.

Lots of other shops websites are quoting January or “call us” for the same bike. Might pop in today and get my LBS to double check. Last years were out Sept.

chakaping
    Free Member

I really like the look of the Slash, but the prices are a bit OTT aren’t they?

Ceebug
    Free Member

I got my new 2012 Fuel Ex 9 on the 29th October. Originally was expecting mid October so not too long a wait. However I believe it is from the first (small) batch in the country and if I hadn’t pre-ordered I would probably have had to wait till February.

woody74

To be honest this seems normal in the bike industry. About 2 years ago around August time I had a cycle to work voucher for a MTB. I had up to £2.5k to spend and needed a large frame, so quite a few options I thought. Not one bike shop in Bristol or the surrounding area could get me a bike of any model out of Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, etc. Basically everyone was sold out of everything, and had no idea when new stock was coming in. I left it for a couple of months and the situation was still the same but they at least new stock wasn’t coming in until November to Feb. I then decide to gets road bike instead and wait for the new MTB’s to come in, however it was exactly the same situation with road bikes. Basically I couldn’t spend £2.5K on a bike. In the end I just bought a separate frame and built it up. It basically ruined what should have been a great bike buying session. I to was really pissed off by the whole things. It seems the bike industry has a 6 month window when they don’t have stock. Seems madness to me.

At one point I spoke to a Trek rep and he checked and they didn’t have any large framed full suspension bikes in the whole or europe and this was August!!

cakefacesmallblock

I know this doesn’t help, but it’s probably fair to say that globally, if you manufacture, you make very little for stock right now. Ties up too much cash. If factories can work one shift instead of two or three, they will. Then hide behind being “busy” or successful and not being able to keep up. I’ve been wrong before though !!

redted
    Free Member

Lead times for alot of parts now out to 120 days in alot of cases. Makes scheduling and forecasting extremely difficult. Chinese market gobbling up alot of the common Shimano kit. We’ve had 2 price rises on bikes we ordered in August and I havent even seen a sample yet! It’s pretty discouraging really.

Cyclenaut
    Free Member

Lead times change most of the time due to issues with vendors who are supplying parts for bikes. Lack of Di2 groups from Shimano, for example, will hold up any bike that has it spec’d. It’s not the fault of the manufacturer in cases like these. They are at the mercy of the supplier.

A vendor issue has pushed back deliveries on all 2012 Trek full suss bikes. This has been resolved now. In the meantime, demand for the bikes shot up. Under normal circumstances, the first round of bikes ordered would have been filled by now, and the second round of orders would be coming shortly. Production forecasts anticipate issues, but when it’s something that impacts every full suspension bike, there’s only so much hedging you can do. One vendor issue on a big scale is enough to interrupt the entire system, which is what is happening now.

It’s tough waiting around for a bike that you’ve ordered, to be sure. But imagine being on the other end and hearing this from dealers every day, and getting no sense of urgency from the vendor to step it up and make things right.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve never ordered a bike that wasn’t in stock !! once I’ve made my mind up that I want something, it has to happen straight away. If I had to wait months for a bike I’d want something different by the time it arrived.

Trekster

something that impacts every full suspension bike

So? That might point to a quality issue with `12 suspension parts or a production problem? Might taht also dribble into after market parts?
    Should have bought some `11 forks when they were available 💡

Cyclenaut
    Free Member

There is no problem with either DRCV forks or shocks. It has nothing to do with Fox.

There are lots of parts that go into a bike that are supplied by others who have the ability to produce said part better than a given manufacturer. It wasn’t a quality issue, it was a quantity issue.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Restrict supply => ability to keep prices up. Or am I being cynical?

Cyclenaut
    Free Member

@team Yes. Completely. There is absolutely no incentive for Trek to hold back supply. The supply problem is now a customer service issue, and ultimately it’s costing the company money.

Trekster

teamhurtmore – Member

Cyclenaut – Member
    There is no problem with either DRCV forks or shocks. It has nothing to do with Fox.

Good. A Remedy is on my shopping list to line up on the wall along with my Y22, 8000 from `95/6 and the auld Bonty.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

Yeah happend to me in 2010 with the EX5, placed the deposit was told to wait 2 months which i was happy with, this was then put back a couple of weeks, before finally being told that the bike hadn’t even been built citing ‘manufacturing difficulties’ the bike shop asked how long it’d be and Trek said to look for a new bike – so now have a Cannondale RZ120 and love it!!

MrGFisher
    Free Member

More delays. Just been informed my Remedy 9.8 that was due this week is now delayed until the 28th November. This is the third date I’ve been given and it was ordered the fist day the Trek dealer system allowed it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, but it kills demand. We did a case study at uni on apple products and the urban myth that they hype them up then restrict supply to keep prices high, the result is if you restrict suply by xy% your volume drops by that ammount, but look at a supply/demand curve and you’ll see that by doing that not only does your unit cost go up, but your unit price doesnt go up by anywhere near xy%.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Thats strange because my local Trek dealer Cheltenham Cycles has always said the Slash was not due to late Nov/Dec and thats months ago.

snakebite
    Free Member

My Trek dealer who I have the utmost faith in told me to sell my Carbon Remedy and get a new one-I sold it a bit quicker than I thought and new one is due 28th November. If its not in I can have the new Remedy 8 to play on til it arrives 🙂

billyboy
    Free Member

Somali pirates???????

billyboy
    Free Member

Iranian nuclear threat

billyboy
    Free Member

The Home Secretary?

billyboy
    Free Member

they are probably all one and the same and equally to blame

ltheisinger
    Free Member

taxi25 – Member

I’ve never ordered a bike that wasn’t in stock !! once I’ve made my mind up that I want something, it has to happen straight away. If I had to wait months for a bike I’d want something different by the time it arrived.

That is me all over too!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

my slash has just gone from mid nov to boxing day 🙁
    Well at least I’ll get a 2012 bike in 2012
    gutted

chiefP
    Free Member

Well there seems to be light at the end of the Tunnel, looks like i have landed only a handful of Trek Slash 8’s in 2 weeks time and this time looks more promising.

The Trek Slash 9 in my size just changed date again from 31/12/11 to 13/04/12 😯

thomthumb
    Free Member

how do you know it’s good without a test ride?

chiefP
    Free Member

Crankworx Whistler 2011, test rode one dont get much better than that 8) Pretty lucky to get a quick spin considering they were not on the Demo line

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Whats going on with Trek?’ is closed to new replies.