Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What's Boxercise like?
  • hitman
    Free Member

Can't get out on bike tonight as intended and see the local leisure centre has this on – what's it like and will it kill me seeing as I'm just getting back into exercise 🙂

chorlton
    Free Member

It's something that's probably recommended in Womans Weekly. 🙂
    Go for a walk instead.

dobo
    Free Member

yes it will kill you, expect lots of upper body exercise that will make you burn! well if you put the effort in that is…

hitman
    Free Member

what exercises did you do when you went?

dobo
    Free Member

its just like circuit training but also has punch bags, and pads and also some skipping and other odd exercises with medicine balls n stuff like that

scaredypants

My Mrs goes – she likes it

When I went along, it was 30 mins of pressups/standing bar presses/triceps curls etc (and a bit of skipping)…

THEN a go with the instructor wearing those padded-palm gloves when I wasn't able to even hold up my arms. The bastard was taking the piss while I was(n't) doing it 🙁 😳 .
    Next time* I'm gonna coast all the press-ups & then chase him round the room

*(course there's no next time – it was kack. I can do press-ups at home)

DezB
    Free Member

Highly recommended. I used to do it about 10 years ago, never been as fit as I was doing 1x 2hr and 1x 1hr session per week of that. The 2hr sessions were with 2 ex-boxers and you felt you were learning good skills as well as getting fit. Certainly kept the interest up.
    Don't get the time these days 🙁

zaskarrider
    Free Member

Boxersize… well i will try to explain..

it depends on your age.. but i find as an adult they come in small.. medium..large or extra large !!

I think the best way to get the correct fit is to try a few sizes on and then tend to stick to the size that fits the best.. from then just dont change the size you buy unless you add some timber !!

i hope this will help

crispy
    Free Member

I used to do this – with a good instructor (like a proper, gnarly east-end boxer type) it was awesome – I nearly puked every time I went.

Then the chap left and we had a girly-girl fitness type instructor and the sheer intensity and gutwrenching hardness disappeared and I stopped going.

Enjoy!

emac65
    Free Member

If you want to get proppa fit just join a gym that does proppa boxing.That's what I did when I was in my teens,got really fit,fairly strong & learnt a thing or two about being able to look after myself too.
    Word of advice,learn to skip(if you can't already)otherwise you will look a right eejit for the first few weeks 😳

DezB
    Free Member

Skipping's great! I can do the cross arm stuff n'everything. Kills me these days though!

user-removed
    Free Member

Hmmm – I passed a class whilst on my way through the local leisure centre. I don't doubt that there are benefits but I couldn't help smiling – loads of wanabee hard men punching air. Many of them had their thumbs tucked into their fists……

No sign of punchbags / medicine balls either.

Try a proper martial art?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

There was a girl turned up at our boxercise class a while ago. When we we doing the cirucit she ended up in the middle with the instructor on pads and her with the gloves on. The guy put both pads up for her to start the sparring and she promptly missed both pads and smacked him straight in the face. She looked horrified and never came back!

Denno17
    Free Member

Boxercise class i attend is a lot of hiit training which consists of 30 second intervals of speed and power and 30 second recovery. Ultimately it depends on the instructor if he/she has a little passion for their job then they will give you a good work out and you will enjoy the class.

ebygomm
    Free Member

A lot depends on the class/instructor.

I used to go to a really good session which was half circuit training, and half boxing with pads. I know a couple of times we had a fill in instructor who did something more like aerobics but with boxing movements. That was rubbish, no fun if you can't hit anything!

DezB
    Free Member

loads of wanabee hard men punching air. Many of them had their thumbs tucked into their fists..

Never saw that at the classes I went to. Some real boxers attended though – I held the pads for one once. Jeez my wrists!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Totally great. Did one many years ago up north with a right proper boxer. THere was kicking involved too so might have been kick-boxercise! Only time I've been sick with excercise. My brother also punched me in the face, totally missing the pads, his excuse was that he was seeing triple so didn't know which pads were real.

Skipping rocks too, still got my rope hanging by the door and use it a couple of times a week.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What's Boxercise like?’ is closed to new replies.