Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • What would Jesus do?
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

The whole “carpenter” thing is a translation error, apparently. Used euphemistically for “wise person”.

euphemistically or sarcastically?

What kind of wise person takes his pregnant wife on hols during festival time without booking a hotel before he sets off?

nickf
    Free Member

S

hame that the Cannon had to resign for standing up for what the church is supposed to support.

The Canon didn’t have to resign. But if he hadn’t, they’d have fired him.

messiah
    Free Member

Go bowling of course…

derekrides
    Free Member

Jesus would in this day and age have to have adapted tot he modern age, he’d be holding sermons explaining how he was composed from particles subject to electromagnetism and that his father was the biggest magnet and y’all were little magnets and if you didn’t all do the right thing the other bad magnet would get you and you and Gary Gilter would spend eternity together..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sure Jesus would be around, he’s everywhere right? What would he do.. wellllll….. methinkie he’d be doin’ this..

He’d be somewhere on his 29erSS hammering the hills as we speak, with his long flowing (greying) hair and beard being buffeted by the wind, his robes covered in mud flapping in the breeze, wearing a cheesy smile, a splattered fly neatly squished on his forehead, whilst wearing a pair of “World Champ Replica” Oakley Jawbones and a pair of worn out SPUDs.He’d be sporting a pair of lycra bibs under his robes mind to avoid chafe, though last time I saw him he wasn’t wearing baggies over the top..
    Does this make him a “Stylee Icon” I wonder, or some fashionista Faux “Phah”

Jesus rides 29erSS’s.

All Hail Purity.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I love religion!!

Here’s why http://dawonderful.blogspot.com/

duckman

Bikebouy, we have established already on this thread that Jesus was a wise man, so 29er yup….SS…No way!

derekrides
    Free Member

Heresy! Jesus would never ride SPD’s..

Lifer
    Free Member

So inform me, who are the protestors who can give up their time to camp outside a church for a few weeks?

I don’t know who they all are, I haven’t done a census. But having chatted to a few some work during the day and are there in the evening, some are using up holiday, some are students, some are unemployed and some are retired.

But I can see how lazy stereotypes are attractive, it makes things much simpler.

donsimon
    Free Member

Hearsay! He does..

derekrides
    Free Member

Jesus rode an ass..

So he would ride the biking equivalent, some sort of single speed on one.

JonBurns
    Free Member

He’d be somewhere on his 29erSS hammering the hills as we speak, with his long flowing (greying) hair and beard being buffeted by the wind, his robes covered in mud flapping in the breeze, wearing a cheesy smile, a splattered fly neatly squished on his forehead, whilst wearing a pair of “World Champ Replica” Oakley Jawbones and a pair of worn out SPUDs.He’d be sporting a pair of lycra bibs under his robes mind to avoid chafe, though last time I saw him he wasn’t wearing baggies over the top..

Haven’t you almost described Ed Oxley? 😯

Cougar

Jesus would never ride SPD’s..

Might explain why he moved in a mysterious way.

nickf
    Free Member

Might explain why he moved in a mysterious way.

That’s Bono, silly.

scuzz
    Free Member

So inform me, who are the protestors who can give up their time to camp outside a church for a few weeks?

You. Me. There’s a way. If more people did it, your mortgage would be the least of your creditor’s worries.
    I really enjoyed the media’s use of a thermal imaging camera “some of these tents have no people in them!” as if it somehow detracts from what they’re trying to achieve.

miketually
    Free Member

Haven’t you almost described Ed Oxley?

Like Ed, Jesus would be on flats.

Lifer
    Free Member

I really enjoyed the media’s use of a thermal imaging camera “some of these tents have no people in them!” as if it somehow detracts from what they’re trying to achieve.

When you see who the source was for the ‘90% empty’ claim it all becomes clear:

Well, there is one other constant between the Times and Telegraph stories, and that is the presence of Matthew Richardson, a councillor in the Corporation of London. And sure enough, he provides the money quote:

Thermal imaging has shown that most of those tents are empty — about 90 per cent. It just shows that the majority of people don’t have the conviction to stay here. They are here to cause trouble, and leaving a tent here is a way to do that.

And

Occupy London empty tent claim based on rubbish science

duckman

But I can see how lazy stereotypes are attractive, it makes things much simpler.

Or based on my observations of demo’s I have been to. However, maybe I haven’t been going to the “right” protests, (you know, boring stuff about the Iraq war, Poll tax,job cuts) As an aside, most of the people trying to start fights at these,especially recently, have seemed to be professional protesters. Except at the poll tax one, that was everybody v Strathclyde Police. Of course,that is just me employing a lazy stereotype,isn’t it?
    The crowd outside the Church would probably known as the Peoples front of Judea in Jesus’s time.

scuzz
    Free Member

Occupy London empty tent claim based on rubbish science

What can we do to stop the media perpetuating lies? Seriously? (I appreciate that the source of the counterclaim is media, but still)

Lifer
    Free Member

duckman – Member

Or based on my observations of demo’s I have been to. However, maybe I haven’t been going to the “right” protests, (you know, boring stuff about the Iraq war, Poll tax,job cuts) As an aside, most of the people trying to start fights at these,especially recently, have seemed to be professional protesters. Except at the poll tax one, that was everybody v Strathclyde Police. Of course,that is just me employing a lazy stereotype,isn’t it?

What have other protests got to do with it? This is quite different.

duckman

What have other protests got to do with it? This is quite different.

Ah, I see,well if you say so then.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Or based on my observations of demo’s I have been to.

Of course,that is just me employing a lazy stereotype,isn’t it?

Steroetype – an image or idea of a particular type of person or thing that has become fixed fixed through being widely held.

Well it may not fit the strict definition of a stereotype as you are basing it on prior experience, but it’s certainly prejudiced which, and please correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t generally considered to be a particularly Christian trait.

Lifer
    Free Member

How many days was the Iraq protest? Poll Tax?

nickf
    Free Member

certainly prejudiced which, and please correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t generally considered to be a particularly Christian trait

Female bishops? Gay clergy? You’re right, the Christian churches have no truck with prejudice.

Lifer
    Free Member

Do you mean Anglican Churches Nick?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m sorry but Jesus would be wearing these.. Proven.

derekrides
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    I’m sorry but Jesus would be wearing these.. Proven.

OMG! he probably would to…

who else would, oh dear oh dear, how very STW they are, very elfin safety …:lol:

stgeorge

The crowd outside the Church would probably known as the Peoples front of Judea in Jesus’s time.

F…O..

They’re the Judean People’s Front – splitters

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh there he goes…

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

turn water into funk?

duckman

Lifer – Member
    How many days was the Iraq protest? Poll Tax?

I see… so different protests attract different protestors…Why did you not just say that in the first place?

Gonefishing; have you been drinking?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

BUT…The Church of Rome persecuted Jesus’s own race for crucifying him, so would he side with the Catholics in a Prod/Catholic swedge?

😕 Of course Jesus was a Catholic.

Look mate, I didn’t make the rules……….Jesus said to Simon : “You are Peter, and upon this rock I shall build my Church”. OK it’s lost a bit translation because “Peter” means stone, but he was very clearly making Peter the first pope of the One True Universal Catholic Church. You can’t really argue with that.

RobHilton
    Free Member

^ That may make sense to you but calling someone a name other than their actual name is bound to cause confusion.

Anyway didn’t that mark the begining of The Apostolic Church from which Catholicism and every other Christian sect nicked some ideas and tailored them to suit their own needs?

Northwind

scuzz – Member

What can we do to stop the media perpetuating lies? Seriously?

Widespread use of these:

But it’s a nice example isn’t it… Now a huge number of people believe the 90% lie, even though by watching the video you could see the camera failing (when people walk behind tents, they vanish from the camera). They’ve changed the story now, and perhaps there’ll be a retraction on page 16 in a month’s time but nobody will care. Lies round the world, truth tying shoelaces, etc.

There’s a suggestion that retractions should have to be given the exact prominence of the original lie. I like that plan.

iDave
    Free Member

he was very clearly making Peter the first pope of the One True Universal Catholic Church. You can’t really argue with that.

If he was doing that as clearly as you make out he’d have said “I’m making you the first pope of the One True Universal Catholic Church. I’ll explain what a pope is later, same for catholic church.” It suited people to give that meaning to those words allegedly spoken by some bloke.

mrmo
    Free Member

matthew 21:12

And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If he was doing that as clearly as you make out he’d have said “I’m making you the first pope of the One True Universal Catholic Church. I’ll explain what a pope is later, same for catholic church.” It suited people to give that meaning to those words allegedly spoken by some bloke.

Listen mate, JC assumed he wasn’t talking to idiots, or that he needed to spell it out for them.

He also said “love thy neighbour as thyself”, but that doesn’t mean you ought to shag her at number 22. Jesus, sometimes I truly despair.

And just for the record, if you look at The Creed as said by the Church of England, the Presbyterian Church, the Lutheran Church, and the United Methodist Church, they all say that they believe in “the holy catholic church”

The Creed

There’s only one Catholic Church, and that’s where the party’s at. Everyone else is probably going to Hell. Although it’s never too late to repent, I might add.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘What would Jesus do?’ is closed to new replies.