Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What wool base layer?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’m after a merino wool long sleeve base layer. I found an Endura one on CR but it’s a bit pricey (around £50 iirc).

Any other, cheaper alternatives?

PolisherMan

Ground Effect “Submerino”. Fantastic, got two. Can’t go wrong

mikey74
    Free Member

That’s the NZ lot isn’t it? I doubt that would arrive in time for Chrimbo.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, and I prefer them without zips.

IHN

Are you near a Decathlon? They do good, cheap, merino.

tang
    Free Member

cotswold outdoors are doing moon long sleeve merino tops for £25 atm, no zips.

loum
    Free Member

Icebreaker are ok, and on sale at cotswolds.
    I’d avoid Swobo if I was getting another, the last one shrunk to much.

clubber
    Free Member

I just got an Orca one for £20 from CRC – does the job. My previous Embers one was similarly good – maybe better as I think it was tougher than the knitted merino that most wool jerseys seem to be made of.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Icebreaker all the way for me, excellent quality, good fit, and have lasted well.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Personally, I like on-one
    The 250g ones are super warm but sadly out of stock at the moment. The lighter 190g should be fine as a base layer though.

neninja
    Free Member

Icebreaker here – got 2 Mondo Zip 200 base layers that have been worn loads and are still in great condition.

Keep a look out for them on sale – I got one from Sports Direct and the other from Cycle Surgery – both for less than half price.

Field and Trek have them for £40 at the moment
    http://www.fieldandtrek.com/icebreaker-mondo-zip-top-mens-402127

LeeW

Has any one tried the ones sold on the Spkoeshirts website?

cakefacesmallblock

I have 2 l/sleeve Endura Baa Baas. They have been used a base layers for two winters and as summer jerseys on occasions. Haven’t shrunk, dont stink, well made. As and when they fail, they will be replaced like for like. Expensive and worth it, in my book.

binners

Another recommendation for the On One’s. The 250g are indeed super-toasty. The 190 should be great. Fantastic quality for that price. And thankfully no shrinkage in’t wash

epicyclo

IceBreaker. Just make sure it’s a close fit.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve got a few Icebreakers but without a doubt the best winter base layer I’ve used is the Craft Warm Wool. Incredibly warm considering how light it is. Decent price on Wiggle at the moment.

jameso

Mail-order a size smaller than usual Uniqlo extra-fine merino round-neck sweater for £15.

Brilliant VFM, I have a few and they’re the perfect thickness for riding in with a layer on top. You can even get colours if that’s your thing. Or, get a v-neck and look like a proper Chap when you take of your jacket.

I’ve found a few good thin merino tops in TKMaxx for £10-15 too. Got to make those dragged-round-shops afternoons worthwhile somehow )

vorlich
    Free Member

Chocolate Fish Merino, great service and product.

o96192083
    Free Member

babaaa 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

merino jumpers from the knitwear section at TKMaxx – about £17.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What wool base layer?’ is closed to new replies.