• This topic has 60 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • What width bars do you use..!?
  • wilko1999
    Free Member

For all-mountain riding as opposed to featherweight XC stuff

Mine have been about 700mm, but I’m just building up a Titus El Guapo, and have bought 740mm bars. I’m gonna give them a try anyway at that width before any cutting, was just curious how wide other people had gone…

jedi

27″ bars for me

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

700-720-ish on my Pitch. I don’t need any wider than that thanks!

neil853
    Free Member

720 I think, they’re RaceFace SIXc ones if that helps

carlphillips
    Free Member

about 720mm i think.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Went up to 740 on my El Guapo

they’re cut down to 700 now and that fits all my regular trail apart from two gaps in particular and I know where they are now!

Bazz

685mm does me fine, and i still clip the occasional tree.

alfabus
    Free Member

covert: 750mm
    575: 711mm
    blizzard: 685mm
    road bike: 440mm (I think)

Dave

RustyMac

On my full sus i have 710mm Race Face Respond bars and on my hardtale i have 685 Easton EA50. Can’t think i’d want any bigger than the 710 ones, both feel just right for me.

DezB
    Free Member
    GlitterGary
    Free Member

750 for me.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Sunline V1 745mm

MRanger156
    Free Member

745mm – Find them perfect

mojo5pro
    Free Member

sunline’s 745mm. Big improvement on handling IMO. Give them a few rides to get used to as will probably feel strange at first.
    What length stem are you using?

big_scot_nanny

740 seems about right for me.

wilko1999
    Free Member

mojo – 70mm

DezB – thanks, did a forum search and not much came up funnily enough, hence why I started a new one, must have cocked up the search maybe

Yean I’m gonna give them a whirl at 740 although I have a feeling thats going to be a tad too much for the tree lined trails I ride a lot

Cheers!

tthew

No-one tempted to try the new Superstar Yardstick then?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=532

915mm. Seems like the Forresty Comission wasted their money doing all that felling recently, should have just waited for some of these bad boys to hit the trails, there’d have been knocked over trees all over the place!

Taff
    Free Member

710mm here

OT but did anyone see on twitter that Superstar now have a 915mm monster?!

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Wilko – I think wide bars work better with short stems (50 mm) and low stack (eg 0-5 mm spacer between headset and stem) to get the direct steering feel and control from wide bars.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I think you’re probably right there bro, but I have a disproportionally long torso in relation to my height so 70 is about as short as I can go without feeling cramped!

richmtb

Been using 685mm bars for about seven years. As my shoulders haven’t got any wider in that time i’ll be sticking with them!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Ha, good work Rich, I’m sure not many people this side of Dirty Dan need super-wide bars (esp not 915mm?!) but I like the feel and they look pretty cool so thats good enough for me!

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Wilko ..but don’t forget wider bars will give you a shorter effective arm length (if that makes sense 😯 )

cookeaa

DH – 750
    SS – 710
    XC – 690
    Road – 440

Although I will probably be going up to 700 – 710 on the XC bike soon…

wilko1999
    Free Member

Mojo – it does make sense, hadn’t thought of that! Just picturing having 5 foot wide bars now and going along with my chin on the stem.. . 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

750 trail/do everthing bike (cut down from 780 as would fit through some tree lined singletrack)
    685 on xc ‘race’ bike currently building.
    v.narrow on the other bike that being built but I don’t want to talk about that one 😳

charliemort

so what is the advantage of wide bars then? must admit I prefer them but what is the theory? an equal movement at the end of the bar will have less effect on steering i assume……..

rewski
    Free Member

710s with 70 stem. I always find they take a bit of getting used too, mainly because I use a 660 flat on my XC HT. The wider bars are definitely more stable cornering at high speed downhill, I think they also force a better body position and weight distribution when cornering. I do find them a bit wobbly on very steep climbs, and I’ve clipped the odd tree in tight wooded sections.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m a complete wide bar convert. My ’04 Enduro is all the better for running 710mm Funn bars and my Wolf Ridge has the full 760mm Nukeproof monty.

LoCo
    Free Member

@ charliemort, More leverage> less effort to turn bars, mainly but allows me to run a smaller frame (well fit on the biggest frame they do) which cripling myself mainly.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

…did anyone see on twitter that Superstar now have a 915mm monster?!

In other news, Superstar sign a new team rider.

LoCo
    Free Member

Lol, there’s going to be lots of kids rding round with their faces on the stem top cap in the coming months then

Superficial
    Free Member

The main benefits of wide bars is that they put your weight further forwards. This puts more weight through the front wheel and improves traction, and gives you a more aggressive stance. Of course you can run a longer stem to put your weight forwards but that makes the steering more sluggish. Potentially a wider bar gives you more leverage and makes it less likely that front wheel rocks will force you off line, but my opinion is that’s a secondary benefit.

Superstar have obviously taken it too far though – I imagine they offer that to allow people to cut them down to a more reasonable size, but I bet a lot of people won’t…

750mm for me on the XC bike.

My view is that wide bars = better, but the last time I said that on here I got mocked by some luddites so I’ll end this post with “IMHO, of course.”

GW
    Free Member

The main benefits of wide bars is that they put your weight further forwards. This puts more weight through the front wheel and improves traction, and gives you a more aggressive stance. Of course you can run a longer stem[b] simply bend your elbows slightly more[/b] to put your weight forwards

🙄

smogmonster

710mm on all my bikes (Cube Fritzz, Trek Fuel Ex9 and Orange Crush). I would ideally like to go up to 740/750mm, but i already spend half my life falling off from clipping the trees in my local forest…any wider just wouldnt work for me.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

All bikes are round the 710mm mark but just tried a 740mm and it feels very right for my ape like arms, a change may be coming!

chakaping
    Free Member

720 I think, they’re RaceFace SIXc ones if that helps

Same here, think they might be 725mm.

Perfect anyway!

cookeaa

Leverage, stability, body position take your pick they’re all valid points, TBH I simply tryed a fad and found I get along quite well with it…

Call it a “Fashion” thing if you like but ultimately nothing (not even marginally longer handlebars) will actually make me look cool on a push bike, so I might as well be comfortable…

I still think Bar width should match riders physical build, but there’s no harm in buying some wider bars and then breaking out the hacksaw to “Adjust” them later…

chakaping
    Free Member

I still think Bar width should match riders physical build

+1

I tried some 777mm bars and felt like I was being crucified, bigger guys I ride with love them though.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Sunline V1 745mm

One of the best changes I’ve made to a bike

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘What width bars do you use..!?’ is closed to new replies.