Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • what used 24" for a 9 year old?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

the boy has just about outgrown his isla beinn so starting to think about the next bike. had considered a build up but realistically and financially i think a used complete is the best option.

looking about it seems to be between a kona or a specialized, anyone have any views on them or indeed other suggestions?

boy is a average height for his age, fairly decent rider.

midlifecrashes

Scott Voltage Jr if you can find one. My daughter will likely keep hers this summer though, depending on growth spurt. We also have a steel Spesh and a Trek MT220. Scott is the pick of the bunch.

br
    Free Member

We got an MT220 for my son, good little bike – not sure where you are, but his could be sold as he doesn’t ride it anymore (has a 26″ HT) – EIP.

You could build up a small frame with 24″ wheels, but it would cost you far more.

The Voltage’s are quite heavy.

lambchop
    Free Member

Picked up a used 24″ wheeled Shogun ‘Beast’ for peanuts for my nine year old, I think they’re made by claude butler. Anyway great geometry, alu frame, rigid fork. It weighs in at 25lbs and he loves it. The rate he’s growing he’ll be needed a 26er soon enough, then we can start building him up something!!!!

TiRed

To be honest, I don’t think there are any poor choices now.
    Son1 had a Kona Hula. Not the lightest, not great suspension but went around Swinley just fine. His friend had a Specialized Hotrock. Similar quality. The Trek 220 again looks fine. All have aluminium frames and about 50cm of (heavy) front suspension.

Just see what pops up and buy the first that falls within budget. Our Kona was £130 and two years old when I bought it, has done two further boys worth of hard abuse and I passed it onto my nephew last week with new cables.

One last point. 24″ tyres are not great. We ran Schwalbe Land Cruiser as a good on/off-road compromise.

MoreCashThanDash

Been watching ebay for one for my lad recently – Spesh seem to go for around £150ish, seem to be plenty of Trek MT220s coming up, which is the next size up from his current Trek.

I’ve heard that Kona’s are heavy, but will take childlike hooliganism.

Seem to be quite a few Carreras on ebay – given that the adult ones seem to be good value for money, I may take a punt on one of them if one comes up close to hand

ji
    Free Member

I have a used 24″ Isla for sale (older colour scheme in grey). Ideal,unless you are desperate for something with suspension 😉

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

thanks guys, there’s a spesh hotrock in the local paper for £100 quid so may go look at that.

b r and ji, can you email me some details about the bikes you mention. thanks.

Farticus

Build something up off Classifieds – I have 24″ wheels [Deore to Sun Rhino Lite] to start you off. Came off my son’s bike (a XS Turner) when he moved up to 26″ wheels. That bike lasted him from 7 to 14 as it grew with him!

stuartddancer
    Free Member

hi mate have a look on islabikes site because i may have a creigh for sale if the moneys right.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

might be too much to be honest, but drop me a line with what amount you are asking and i’ll have a think.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘what used 24" for a 9 year old?’ is closed to new replies.