Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • what torque wrench?
  • xherbivorex
    Free Member

okay, so bullet bitten- i decided i need to add a torque wrench to my tool collection if i want to follow through with certain plans i have.
    but i have no idea what to get! there’s a load on ebay but i’m not sure whether it’d be false economy buying, say, a draper wrench for <20 quid…
    any advice on what i should be looking for/at?
    cheers.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Trouble is, so much stuff on a bike is amazingly low torque, that even my pretty expensive 3/8 drive norbar is mostly useless. I could use it to torque up the cassette, but haven’t a 3/8 socket big enough to fit cassette removal thingy so it’s largely redundant.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

ah, should have searched first. thanks drac!

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I have one of these and it seems to work very well I havent bust any bolts using it.

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Torque-Wrench-Micrometer-Style-1-4Sq-Drive-5-25Nm-44-221lb-in-Sealey-STW101?sc=9&category=918027

Drac

ah, should have searched first. thanks drac!

Just happen to see a couple of threads latterly.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

that BBB one goes down to 2Nm which would seem to be low enough; will 24Nm be high enough for stuff that needs more torque on a bike though, or would i need to consider getting a second one (up to 70Nm or so)?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

BBB wrench. £55 on CRC but possibly cheaper on ebay if you can be arsed looking around.

2-24 NM range which covers most bike torque settings and comes with the most commonly used bits (allen key 3,4,5,6,8,10mm and Torx T25)

Seems pretty good quality too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

24 isn’t going to cover cassette lock rings, bottom bracket cups or crank arms to name a few.

I’ve got the two park ones that seem to fit the bill.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

It’s fine for HTII style crank bolts (12-15NM) and for lockrings and BB cups and Shimano centrelock rotors I just use the appropriate tool and go “tight as ****”

Don’t think there is one wrench to do all…

goog
    Free Member

torque wrench indeed 🙄

just use the force 8)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘what torque wrench?’ is closed to new replies.