Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • what torch for dog walking?
  • anagallis_arvensis

Need something with a tight beam that goes a long way, these damn lurchers get far away very quickly. My old bike lights are too wide angle. Been looking at fennix torches but have no idea what all the models are would need batteries and charger.

genghispod
    Free Member

Either get a f@@@@@g big Maglite with rechargeable batteries, or learn where you're walking and do it in the dark. The latter is best if you want to scare the sh1t out of people who carry torches. Might help if you train your dog. Wait till it runs off then stand still when it comes back looking for you. As they can only see black-and-white it will run straight past you. When it's run past you a few times whistle; then it will pick yo up.

Read an article a while back about training gun dog puppies – if they run off, go home and let them find their own way back. They won't do it again as they want to be with you, not finding their own way home. Just make sure there aren't any main roads in the way.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Lurchers? running around off the lead?

You'll be needing one of these:

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    adam_h
    Free Member

I bought a 2D Maglite and one of these bulbs. Can put the torch on a tight narrow beam and picks up stuff over 200m away. And it all cost less that £30 as I picked up the torch on some website sale for £12 🙂 Standard Maglite bulbs really are pants though.

twohats
    Free Member

Either get a f@@@@@g big Maglite

Do Maglite actually make a decent torch anymore???

One of the many torches or even that bike light from Dealextreme would do the trick.

anagallis_arvensis

Lurchers? running around off the lead?

You'll be needing one of these:

I was hoping for something a leittle more discreet 😆

How do the dealextreme torches compare to fennix. Do the claimed run times for fennix torches measure up?

Might help if you train your dog.

Yes because buggering off and leaving it to get home on its own would be a great way of doing that!! Come back when you have a clue.

The torch is for me to see what the dog is up to and if it needs calling back.

AndyP
    Free Member

grumm
    Free Member

I've got a fenix l2d q5 (I think) – it's nicely made, run times are about right, takes aa rechargeables.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

AndyP – all he will need then is a pitchfork and a few mates and he can storm the spooky house on the hill.

DezB
    Free Member

Get one of the DX torches – just search the forum for something recommended for the bike and it'll be perfect.
    Otherwise a Tesco torch, if you can still get them. ❓

goon
    Free Member

Ted (longdog) wears one of these when it's dark.

It means I can keep an eye on him at a distance, without ruining my night vision and stumbling about half-blind.

Dogs only seeing B&W and not seeing you is not correct. They are red-green colour blind and therefore see a much brighter but less detailed world than we do. (See Dog Vision. Plonsky also states 'The canine, on the other hand, is well adapted as a nocturnal hunter of camouflaged prey.')

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

Re Fenix, the L2D and LD20 both run off AA batteries. The LD20 is a bit narrower and has a longer throw. I use mine when out with the dogs – on full it's probably too bright for just walking along, but handy in wide open spaces.

If you buy from the Photon Shop ask him for a lockblock as well;-) (spare/additional bike light)

If you want something more powerfull for the bike, maybe the TK11 (or DX torch).

DezB
    Free Member

'The canine, on the other hand, is well adapted as a nocturnal hunter of camouflaged prey.'

Wouldn't know anything about that. Ahem.

That collar looks good, goon. Do they survive the wet ok?
    I've bought tons of those little LED tags and everytime dog jumps in a river or it rains the leds stop working!

Milkie
    Free Member

Fennix L2D here, although not sure it will throw the light far enough for a Lurcher. Friends have a flashing dog collar, which works really well, and still works after the dog has been in the lake.

Flashing Waterproof Dog Collar

Maglites are absolute rubbish, unless you feel the need to carry a weapon around.

goon
    Free Member

Yes, pretty robust Dez. Ted's not a swimmer, but we go out in all weathers and he does have the occasional dip in the pond.

The only issue I found with it was the battery 'spring' weakened so it would randomly turn off. Easily remedied. This will be it's third winter so pretty good value for money.

scruff
    Free Member

Flashing dog collars are not great and the led dangly ones are rubbish, not waterproof and turn emselves off. Get down to the LBS & get an LED seatpost flasher, wrap the band round the dogs collar between the shoulders and you can see em for miles.

http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/Electron-Backupz-Rear-Red-Led-Safety-Light.aspx

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Hope 1 does the job for me. Batts easy to swap if its flat, you can use normal AAs so its handy when you forget to charge the flat rechargables. Bonus is I stick it on the bike and go for a blast. Looks well built and should last many a dog walk.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

BTW I would not like to just leave a grands worth of gun dog running round the woods where I live. Then go home make a cup of tea and wait for it to return! Chances are it either gets run over or some scrote takes it a walk for you and you never see it again./ Really well though out is that lol

Drac

If you gun dog wanders off and doesn't come back it's not worth a grand more like 10p.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

My dog just walks 30 yards in front and comes back, It cost significantly less than a grand! It was hypothesis. Just seems a daft way to train a dog!

Drac

Stupid way off teaching and never heard of doing that, trained my gun dog not much of a gun dog now she's going on 13, helped my Dad train 3 or 4 and his cousin does it for a living. He taught us if it starts to ignore you and won't come back to turn you back on it and not look at it so it comes back. Never to leave it as it then wins and sees itself as the dominate dog.

twohats
    Free Member

The torch that everybody on here was raving about last year would do the trick:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

I use mine for both the bike and walking. It'll illuminate whole footie fields on high beam! An amazing amount of light for the money. Runtime in excess of 2 hours switching between the modes. You will need batteries and a charger mind.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105

anagallis_arvensis

twohats, cheers have bought that! Wonder how long it will take to turn up.

I can see the sense in the walk off method, running away from Kea works well, but going home would be taking it a bit far. She doesnt run off but I like to be able to see what she's up to. Last week on an early morning walk she bolted to a good distance away when a lab with a flashing collar came running over, I think she thought the Terminator was after her.

twohats
    Free Member

They're usually pretty quick, most stuff I've ordered from them has taken no more than a week, though the postal strikes might mess things up a bit.

anagallis_arvensis

I presume the charger will just need a usa to uk plug adapter in order to work?

Trekster

Tesco do a good l2d style led torch for about a tenner which is also good enough for night riding. I have one and a couple of Fenix.
    Aldi/Lidl are also doing an led alu tourch this/next week which looks good enough

twohats
    Free Member

I presume the charger will just need a usa to uk plug adapter in order to work?

Just chop the plug off and wire a UK plug on, job done.

soobalias
    Free Member

flashing red led collar (£5 pet local pet shop) means i can keep an eye on the dogs progress.
    Mini maglite with led bulb (£15) means i can focus in on him if he stops moving (has a shit)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘what torch for dog walking?’ is closed to new replies.