Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What to do with a worn out cassette?
  • sam_underhill

Put it in the recycling bin sounds better then just in the bin? Seems a shame to just throw away a load of titanium / aluminium / steel. Is an XTR 980 cassette btw.

ourmaninthenorth

Recycle it. It still has inherent value (just not as a cassette).

qwerty
    Free Member

If its 10 speed and has a little used 11 tooth sprocket I’ll take the 11 tooth off your hands.

portlyone

Turn it into an artsy coaster?

fasthaggis

or maybe

😀

z1ppy

into the scrap bin, and weigh it all in when it’s full…

toxicsoks
    Free Member

My missus takes my old cassettes, degreases them, polishes them, superglues the loose cogs together and makes candlesticks out of them.
    She’s a funny woman….

sam_underhill

hmmm…. art work… I’ll see what it looks like clean.

Qwerty – it’s pretty goosed I’m afraid.

tomhoward

Put it on ebay as ‘used, but plenty of miles left’ 😈

It cant be any worse than some of the horrors that come up from time to time!

meehaja
    Free Member

keep each ring in a back pocket to use as ninja stars whilst out on the trail if someone upsets you.

uwe-r
    Free Member

We used to have a small black box for recyclable stuff – metal was listed on the stuff they would accept however when I put an old chain and a chain ring in they kept taking them out and leaving them?

They went to scrap collection guy in the end who was more than happy.

organic355
    Free Member

make shuriken (Ninja stars)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If we all put all our associated old stuff in, then some one could take it to a scrap yard and get 50p for it?

njee20
    Free Member

Which sprockets are particualrly worn? I have one or two worn in mine, which is rather irritating!

z1ppy

I was surprise how much a bucket of even ‘scrap’ is worth now, have you not noticed all the scrap van constantly circling… Try putting out something metal infront of your house and see how long it lasts

MoreCashThanDash

Jeez, Zippy, don’t say things like that – MrsMoreCash may take it as a way of creating space in the garage by leaving out one of my bikes!

trail_rat
    Free Member

wish the 2 radiators in my garden would dissapear – save me having to go to town specifically in the van to take them to scrappys or recycling centre !

s
    Free Member

Think its a wind chime?

😉

sam_underhill

Which sprockets are particualrly worn?

Sadly, because I’ve been an A grade idiot and riding around with a mega worn chain, it appears that I can’t put power down in any ratio with the new chain on. I can only assume the whole thing is fubared.

I’m assuming that the chain rings will be affected as well, but I’ll wait for that instalment of bad news until after I’ve fitted the cassette.

Step 1: “I must REGULARLY check my chain on my expensive kit”
    Step 2: Goto Step 1.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

wish the 2 radiators in my garden would dissapear – save me having to go to town specifically in the van to take them to scrappys or recycling centre !

Stick them outside with a big sign saying £20 on. They’ll be gone overnight.

scaredypants

crack the cassette open and take the spacers to use for SSing a cassette hub

snipswhispers
    Free Member

I heard that a tonne of scrap steel is worth £1k so keep saving those used chains/ cassettes. lol!

off on a wee tangent…because energy prices are rocketing in japan, it would be logical for shimano to open a manufacturing/ recyling site in europe…you hand in your used components to your bikeshop to be uplifted back to the shimano plant etc.

one day, maybe?

user-removed
    Free Member

Force it onto the end of a broom handle and keep it by the front door as a burgular repellant.

BigJohn

Save it until your new chain is a bit stretched then try it again

redfordrider
    Free Member

Paperweight.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What to do with a worn out cassette?’ is closed to new replies.