Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What To Do With a Pheasant
  • lank45
    Free Member

Got hold of a brace of pheasants today, does anyone have any nice recipes for them?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Cut the breasts out (no plucking needed), wrap them in bacon and stick in the oven.
    Make more fancy if you need to, and forget about the rest of the bird imo.

paul4stones

I’d agree with the above. Plucking is a right faff and the rest of the bird is hard to cook well.

Make sure they’ve been hung for a week or so first though – well worth the wait 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

^^ said already.
    I remember plucking pheasants that dad shot when I was about 8 and thought it was a chore then. Now I just remove the breasts. Nice in a casserole as it can be quite a dry meat.

camo16
    Free Member

If you’re only going to have the breasts and you’re chucking the rest, is it really worth killing them?

Not a concern for the OP, obviously, but still…

binners

We don’t want a rabbit, we want a pheasant

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Roast as above and serve with…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00jh8y4

Helios
    Free Member

Chucking away everything but the breast? Are you people mad?

Pot roast with a bit of chorizo and some butter beans in for the last 20 minutes… Mmmm…

woody2000

Watch out for shot, damn near broke a tooth on the last bit of pheasant I had!

I’d go for a nice game pie meself

Game Pie

mountainman

As above or skin whole bird ,use breasts in encroute with bacon n mozarella .then curry or casserole legs .

livers are tasty fryed too.

Nick

There is really not much meat on the legs or the rest of the bird, so just taking the breasts off is commonsense, unless you want to roast the whole bird (which is nice, espeically with chorizo as above).

My favorite pheasant recipe from one of my favorite cookery books

Pheasant breasts with prunes

IanMunro
    Free Member

If you’re only going to have the breasts and you’re chucking the rest, is it really worth killing them?

From the birds point of view, I don’t think it really has a preference as to what parts are used.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Try making Bigos, otherwise known as hunter’s stew. It’s a traditional polish dish which is excellent.

In addition to the pheasant, you’ll need some polish sausages of various types (kielbasa etc), maybe some pork cuts, plenty of sauerkraut, tomatoes, bay leaves, juniper berries and stock.

There are many variants; pheasant isn’t traditional, but it’s got that lovely gamey flavour that works really well in Bigos. There’s a good recipe here:

Bigos

It tastes best when it’s been cooked and left half a dozen times!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Swap it for a chicken. Much tastier 😉

Helios
    Free Member

The lovely people at Shooting Times have a good video on how to skin it if you can’t be bothered to pluck… Making me want pheasant now… Off to the game dealers this weekend methinks…

Shooting Times

Nick

If going to a game dealer see if they have any Woodcock, much nicer.

mountainman

My game dealer is picking my route past local shoot early morning and looking for fresh roadkill,rabbits are pretty regular too this year.

Then save em up in freezer till got enough to do a game pie.

Helios
    Free Member

see if they have any Woodcock, much nicer.

I have scruples… Woodcock are considered Amber-listed by the RSPB, same with Snipe – so I’m not really keen to go munching my way through them… Pheasant, Pigeon, Rabit, Venison – all fair game* to me…

*(haha)

kayak23

Give them a respectful burial.
    🙂

binners

Woodcock this, pheasant that…. You is all proper poncey and middle class

Whats up with deep frying it and putting it in a bap with some tommy k?

Has anyone ever had a pheasant-burger? I want to try one now

rogg
    Free Member

Are they OK to eat as road-kill? That you’ve just freshly run over yourself, I mean, not some potentially maggoty corpse that could have been there for days. Do you end up with bits of splintered bone through the meat?
    Exactly how revolting/easy is gutting them?
    Cheers,
    Rog.

Nick

You’re not allowed to collect roadkill that you have killed (presumably to stop people actually trying to kill stuff).

As long as it’s cold enough then anything that hasn’t been dragged away by a fox, cat or dog, or pecked to bits by carrion, will probably be ok, remember some people like to hang game for a week or more, anything at the side of the road will be long gone if it’s older than that.

Just remove the breasts, it’ll be obvious if they have been damaged as they will be bruised, if not then pan fry and enjoy.

totalshell

hands up for pheasant burgers.. let it hang for a week before doing anything, just use the breast as above either roast and slice for sarnies or mince and burgers.. is dry though so get something juicy between the bread as well

MrSparkle

You’re not allowed to collect roadkill that you have killed (presumably to stop people actually trying to kill stuff).

New one on me.

mountainman

But the car behind can pick up,reminds me of my mate ,phone call one morning ,Ive got a Deer ,can you butcher it for me ,had to pick it up ,else next vehicle would be quarry lorry n would be mashed into road.(butcher by trade).

Rule of thumb if its still warm it’s fresh .

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What To Do With a Pheasant’ is closed to new replies.