Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What to do in Edinburgh on Friday?
  • ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi, I'm taking Mrs ivnickkate out for a meal on Friday in Edinburgh, {already booked near Rose St}, however any ideas for something to do between 4pm and 9pm.

We don't want to go to pubs, clubs, or the cinema, and apparently my suggestions of LA leisure amusements and a Lap-dancing bar are going to happen in my dreams.

Ta, ivnickkate.

rs
    Free Member

and apparently my suggestions of LA leisure amusements and a Lap-dancing bar are going to happen in my dreams

might as well go for a sleep then 🙂

geoffj

You could just about get up Arthur's Seat and back down before it was dark and then wander up the high street (Royal Mile) to the Castle and look at the city from the esplanade?

ojom
    Free Member

Take a nice walk around the city. It's a great place to do 'nothing' in.

Kit
    Free Member

Take a nice walk around the city. It's a great place to do 'nothing' in.

On a Friday night?! I think not, baby puppy… Anywhere in or around the city centre from 7pm onwards is going to be busy with drunk punters. If you don't mind that then yup, plenty to see on your wanders. Carlton Hill at night had some great views over Edinburgh, but best take a torch…

ojom
    Free Member

Hmm you say that but are you aware of what goes on at Carlton Hill after 7pm… makes the drunks look tame 😀

you could meet up with all the Burgh STW'rs for a heavy session on the Innis and Gunn irrespective of you not liking pubs. We will be gentle.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The open top bus tour? Its actually rather good.

Or as geoff says

hels
    Free Member

The Museum is open until 5pm, that will kill an hour and has the best view in town from the roof terrace.

Loads of nice coffee places – hangout and people watch at the Elephant House (where JK Rowling DIDN'T write Harry Potter, that was the place that was closed for years and has recently re-opened as Spoons).

Wander up to the Castle esplanade, check out some of the cool old pubs off the High St, wander down to the New Town and observe the Yahs braying in their natural environment.

Or, 4-9pm ? Thats time for a circuit on the 52/32 bus – see how most of the world lives in Edinburgh. Irvine Welsh reckoned that should be compulsory for all tourists.

Gordy
    Free Member

Worth taking a wander up Arthur's Seat from the path near the parliament if the weather allows. Could be done in a suit and slip-ons if you won't really be dressed for walking. No idea what the path is called, sorry, but it starts near the crossing. Better view once it starts to get dark.

Museums, pubs, etc. by the cartload if you prefer.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Thanks everyone,
    TBC – It's not that we dislike pubs, just having a change, but thanks for the offer.
    TJ – We did think about the bus tour, but will leave that until we get away from the kids for the whole day
    Hels – I get distracted at the museum, and end up across the road at Richer Sounds.

geoffj

No idea what the path is called, sorr

The Radical Road I think.

hels
    Free Member

Ah – you have kids with you. Dynamic Earth in that case…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How about the Pubic Triangle?

ivnickkate
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion, the last time I was in the Pubic Triangle, Lord Darnley's was a great place to watch bands, although that was about 16 years ago.

cynic-al
    Free Member

op you are one fussy ****

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Mary King's close.
    Ghost tour.
    Castle.
    Edinburgh Dungeon.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

cynic-al – guilty as charged, although, I think that it's Mrs ivnickkate who is.

jockhaggis – to further tease cynic-al, I live in a cemetery, and have a vivid imagination, but thanks for those ideas.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

I'm with cynic-al then.

Fussy *******. 😉

tall_martin

You could always jump the wall behind the american embassy

Here right about C. If you do best be sure your kids can manage up a 10 foot wall to escape again though:)

eckinspain
    Free Member

tall_martin, that link takes me to the route of the Douglas-Liverpool ferry ¿?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What to do in Edinburgh on Friday?’ is closed to new replies.