Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What Titanium seatpost?
  • somafunk

Yeah i know it’s utterly frivolous and unjustifiable but i have considered this carefully and come to a misinformed decision that it will increase my riding ability by 2.7% over my current Thomson Elite seatpost and make me 4.1% more attractive to the opposite sex so it’s a win-win situation as far as i’m concerned, my wallet may disagree but as it’s currently crushed in my back pocket i cannot hear it’s squeals of protestation with regard to the amount of cash i will soon be ripping out of it’s innards.

I’ve got a new 27.2mm internal dia shim to fit the seat tube of my Cove Hummer (see thread here) which has a 30mm internal dia shim at the moment and obviously i’m gonna need a new seatpost so i was going to treat myself to a Thomson Masterpiece but for not much more outlay or a similar outlay i figure i could get a nice and comfortable Titanium post so what do folk recommend, I’ve been looking at the following and the Lynskey is my fav and out on top so far for obvious reasons : Lynskey Ti post, USE Sumo Ti post, USE Alien Ti post , Van Nicholas Ti post
    I need a post of minimum 350mm as i have 240mm of Thomson seatpost showing at the moment.

Anyone use a Lynskey or any of the others?, i’ve heard horror stories regarding the USE Alien teeny allen head’s but i dunno if that pans out in the real world or just urban mtb myth.

takisawa2

I’m going to suggest the Van Nicholas one. Looks the least fragile. And it’s pretty good value. Wouldnt mind one for my SIR.9

witty.name
    Free Member

Has to be a Kent Eriksen sweetpost.Not cheap but, phwoar!

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve used a Lynskey, the 31.6m on a ti hardtail initially – I found it slightly flexy in a ti frame, lots of post showing, and the clamp snapped a braided carbon Fizik saddle rail as well (Fizik replaced it under warranty), the clamp’s been fine with metal-railed saddles though, clearly just didn’t like carbon ones. I changed back to a Thomson as I actually preferred the added stiffness.

In contrast it works really well with a super stuff Mmmbop frame, just takes some of the edge off the ride and on a ti road bike, where there’s no so much post exposed and the effect is less pronounced than with the mtb frame.

I like the Lynskey post a lot, the clamp’s secure, you can feel some softness in the ride from the post and it seems well made, but I didn’t buy it and the price is pretty steep.

Friend has a Van Nic post in one of their frames and is very happy with it. I’ve not used the Ti Sumo, but the clamp mechanism on the carbon and alloy ones is a pain in the butt – swivels at recommended torque unless you use carbon grease ime. I’ve seen a couple of broken Alien clamps, non ti, but I assume they’re the same, and wouldn’t trust one as a result.

I don’t know if that’s much help. Or what I’m doing up at this time on a Sunday morning, but there you go 🙂

somafunk

The Van Nicholas is the cheapest but £ is not my primary consideration and the Kent Eriksen sweetpost is lush indeed but how does it clamp the rails?, is there a hex head in the end caps?, the cost is acceptable i guess.

My reason for favouring the Lynskey was because they have a lifetime absolutely no quibble guarantee, the saddle rail clamps are spread out to distribute the clamping loads and i can get it cheaper than the RRP through Hotlines as i work in a bike shop.

I must admit that Kent seatpost is right purty though……not to mention his frames.

witty.name
    Free Member

Yes,allen bolt on t’other side of the clamp.Mount your saddle in seconds and infinatley adjustable.Ive got two of em on both my ti hardtails and they are shithot.Takes about 3 weeks from ordering before they turn up but well worth the wait.

somafunk

Cheers Badlywireddog : I guess if used a 27.2mm seatpost i’d get even more flex than your 31.6mm?, i weigh 68 ish kg, just under 11 stone so i’m not too heavy and i use a K’ium Gobi saddle so nae worries bout carbon rails. I’ve re-measured how much post i’ve got showing and it’s 215mm to the bottom of the Thomson head and 235mm to the saddle rails – dunno what difference that makes to my choices regarding flex but i expect bugger-all really.

I’ve heard conflicting reports on the USE seatposts so i may avoid them, i’d rather buy once and forget it’s there.

Hmmm, choices….Lynskey vs Van Nicholas vs Kent Eriksen?

BadlyWiredDog

To be fair, it wasn’t super flexy, I just preferred the feel of the Thomson on that frame and it works really nicely on the Mmmbop and on my road bike. I suspect they’ll all have a similar sort of ride, but as I’ve only ever ridden the Lynskey one, that’s just a hunch. I’m about 11.5 stone plus riding kit, so not much heavier than you btw.

witty.name
    Free Member

Firefly bicycles ti seatpost is another one to have a mooch at.I have a pair of their bars which are very nice.

witty.name
    Free Member

Moots seatpost aswell.

somafunk

Sounds like you have a full blown Ti fetish witty.name, wot you got?

I want this 😯 …..I want it so much i have an ache in my gut that screams “want it now”

I’ve never heard of firefly before now, i really wish you hadn’t posted their name…..another framebuilder to add to my list of wants vs actual needs with regard to bikes.

witty.name
    Free Member

2 independent fabrication ti deluxe’s.Both 29er’s, one singlespeed and one geared.Each with a kent eriksen post and moots stem’s.Firefly bars on the singlespeed.Currently building up a ti crown jewel road bike as funds allow. Firefly is owned by former independent fabrication employees,they do gorgeous stuff.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Campagnolo? I don’t know if they still do them, but I built up a Kinesis Crosslight about 10 years ago and it was my smoothest riding bike on and off road. Pretty sure it was from the Record groupset, but comparatively cheap, probably because most would have gone with the carbon option.

sheck

USE Sumo works well for me… Dead simple clamp design, and despite rumours of clamp slippage, I’ve never had any problems. Interestingly though I think my Sumo carbon is slightly more comfy?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Have two use seat post one ti and one alloy and never had a clamp slip
    The head design did change on them some years ago
    Think it was the early ones that had issue

jameso

The Van Nic is ok, very flexible but can be bent under a heavier rider. Undersized compared to a Thomson or Eriksen. Mine has a tiny amount of bend in it. Clamp’s a faff but solid when fitted.

Kent Eriksen is the one for a ‘best’ bike. Feels stifferbut not too much so, a perfect fit, clamp is brilliant. Expensive but very nice, fit and forget.

boxfish
    Free Member

My recently ordered Van Nic Ti post is oversized. So much so that it will not fit in my Van Nic frame!

Tricone
    Free Member

Just to increase the list of options Black Sheep do some very nice Ti seat posts with an option of two clamps (either a Thompson or an infinitely adjustable version similar to the Erickson). Ive had zero issues with mine in two and a half years of use.

toys19
    Free Member

Personally I would only ever buy a seapost that had microadjust a la thompson, you know a bolt at the front and one at the back. Im my experience all other methods go wrong at some point…

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I’ve got a j&l eBay job on my Pegasus and it’s all good- not used any of the super expensive alternatives to gauge a difference but gives a little more Cush than a tommy

peanut
    Free Member

I too was lured into buying a Ti post, 27.2 x 400 Van Nic. It was nice and flexy till it flexed beyond return, I’m not a heavy rider either. Did consider a Qoros one recently as they have a lifetime guarantee.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’ve found the moots one to work well, tricky to source in the UK, mine came from Germany. I like my lynsky but prefer the moots.

stuey
    Free Member

I had an old Alien one spring off and try to skewer my belly – took weeks for the ‘boo boo’ to heal – I think they’ve altereted the design now?

How ever I swapped it out for cheap Ti Old style copy – for £45 It’s been no problem for my jey XC – though I’m no racing snake. (100Kg)

somafunk

Cheers for the replies folks, STW users must be going soft in the head as there’s not been one post stating a £19.99 kalloy post would do the same job 😉

Anyway, after reading bout the van nic online and with the few reviews on here i think i’m gonna discount that one so i’m gonna make my choice out of the following and in no particular order

Kent Eriksen Sweetpost £150 – very-very nice, one of those “want” items and his stems are lush so i could have matching stem and post like a true bike tart.

Black Sheep Thomson head seatpost £145 – I’ve always used Thomson posts and the head design is excellent so a contender.

Lynskey Seatpost £180 – retail but trade will be less to me – absolutely no quibble lifetime guarantee and replaceable parts.

Firefly Seatpost £190 – quite possibly the nicest post i’ve seen yet and i love the subtle graphics (tart!) but would i be satisfied wi just the post?, how long before i’m trying to justify a complete firefly custom frame to match?.

Moots Seatpost £225 – I know i said cost isn’t my primary consideration but there has to be an arbitrary upper limit set at some point for my sanity, for £225 + import duties and shipping costs i’d want it to be carried across the atlantic cosseted inside a box filled wi angels wings to buffer the shock of transportation.

Hmm, gonna head out for a ride on my Hummer whilst berating the 30mm Thomson seatpost wi it’s arse numbing properties that have suddenly become all to apparent after browsing through all the lush TI posts in the previous 12hrs – Pah!…….fickle me.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get one you can fit a Thomson style clamp to. Most of the clamp designs on the ti seatposts look like pish.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

another option

I picked one of these up on Ebay recently, not tried it yet though. I bent my van nic

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What Titanium seatpost?’ is closed to new replies.