Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mitsubishi fto
  • debrarobb1
    Free Member

Do any of you on here own a mitsubishi fto and if so can you give me some advice.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I did. What do you want to know?

chojin
    Free Member

I had one years ago – buy a manual gearbox if you don’t want it to be a slug.
    I think the 0-60 time of the auto box was around 9 seconds whereas the manual (with mivec) was about 6.5.
    A world of difference! Good luck trying to find one though…

debrarobb1
    Free Member

It’s been a pain in the behind since I bought it, keeps going into 3rd gear and neutral at the same time for no reason. I’ve had the part changed and replaced with a new one that tells the car what gear it needs to be in, but it is still doing it.

debrarobb1
    Free Member

And yes it is a semi-automatic, although a 1996 grand rally

DickBarton

So it is Tiptronic? Daft question but do you have the gear lever in the right position? Are you trying to drive it in ‘manual’ mode but hitting it into ‘auto’ mode and it sits in neutral?

debrarobb1
    Free Member

It does it when I am in drive and when I try to open it up on a bypass or motorway by switching it over into tiptronic mode. It’s no-where near neutral.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Not much help but the auto gearboxes are made of chocolate. Mine had a £1000 rebuild in the receipts box.

Unfortunately, as you probably know, the FTO owners forum requires membership.

br
    Free Member

It’s been a pain in the behind since I bought it,

This. Sounds like you bought a dog, had it long?

debrarobb1
    Free Member

It’s a good drive when it behaves, when I open it up on the motorway everyone gets out of my way and it’s got some right kick in the engine. Don’t want to get rid of it at all, but having said that I don’t have the experience that the car probably needs.

debrarobb1
    Free Member

Keep meaning to goin the FTO owners forum, to busy most of the time.

debrarobb1
    Free Member

Thanks for replying to my question, hope you all have a good one at x-mas.

TheFlyingOx

I had a Mitsi Legnum VR4 once – which has a similar gearbox and had the same problem – and the only thing that fixed it was a new gearbox. Is it filled specifically with Amsoil (or equivalent) ATF? I know certain transmission fluids in the VR4 gearbox kill it very quickly.

DickBarton

Another daft question…have you left it in auto and double skelped the accelerator? It will drop down and shift…also left in auto, the box ‘learns’ your driving style so should get to very close to your manual style after a few encouraged drives…

hammerite
    Free Member

I had a manual 1995 FTO for about 6 years (GR not Mivec). Loved it. Good fun to drive, but wasn’t incredibly practical as the family grew and servicing started to cost a fair whack.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mitsubishi fto’ is closed to new replies.