Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What sorts of food shall I eat before a hard ride.
  • meanzbeanzx
    Free Member

Im going to brecon beacon on sunday and its a good all day ride but just wanted know what sorts of food are good to eat either the night before or the morning, Iv heard eating porridge in the morning, and to take a few jelly babies during, silly question i guess, would appreciate any kind of feedback!

Thanks Jack

Mantastic
    Free Member

Big pasta meal tonight, porridge with added raisins for breakfast. Carry few flapjack type things with you and munch on a nana just as your getting ready to set off. Jelly babies are good mid ride snack, That lot should sort you out.

Failing that 10 pints of Guinness and a mung bean curry tonight, full fry up for breakfast

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You will get loads of different opinions. Oats are good as they provide a nice long acting carb and seem to have some regulatory effect on blood sugar.

you need a mix of long and short acting carb basically to fuel you

some would say its the dinner the night before that is as important as anything.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Double egg chips and beans. Breakfast of champions…

Haribo Gummy Bears on the way round.

oldgit
    Free Member

Nice long hard but social ride?
    Get up early and have a really nice breakfast of whatever you want.
    Get dressed and ready slowly so it goes down and enjoy.

rootes1

eat well the day before (rice is better than pasta)

beans on toast in the morning.. and/or porridge

then take fruit bars (Naked Bars are good – espec banana bread flavour), snacks, nanas and eat little and often.

Stop for lunch if you can. remember to drink even if it is cold.

CaptJon
    Free Member

cheese toastie

IanW
    Free Member

Which ride are you doing? Im going next week and cant decide.

meanzbeanzx
    Free Member

Thanks for that lot guys! Morrisons tongith it is then 😀

Cheers
    Jack

starrman82
    Free Member

big bowl of cereal before you go to bed, always works for me.

meanzbeanzx
    Free Member

IanW: Either going to brecons or doing Malvern Hills, (again -_-) most probably Malvern as a change of plan because of weather conditions.

Starrman82: Cheers, I usualy do that when im not going for a ride 😉

loum
    Free Member

Take some malt loaf, or if you see it in the “January sales” in the supermarket- Chrismas Cake.

CHB

Before a particulary hard ride I find a dozen oysters and seared asparagus are a wonderful starter.

bedmaker

I ‘did an Obree’ today with marmalade sarnies. Seemed to do the trick. Porridge before I left.

RichJJ
    Free Member

Before a particulary hard ride I find a dozen oysters and seared asparagus are a wonderful starter.

I agree, but lay off the garlic.

sofatester
    Free Member

Cake, lots of cake.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Would diluting juice in the water bottle do for the short acting carbs rather then jelly babies or similar.

Was out today for 25miles and felt i could have done with something about half distance, just had brown bread toast and 2 eggs for brekkie. probably should have had something a bit more short term like a slice of honey and toast.

Bez

Fish pie before a ride, cherry pie afterwards.

rOcKeTdOg

Home made mueseli, take a cheese sarnie with u

Bez

I hope that one’s not a euphemism as well. Ugh. You should try using soap.

brooess
    Free Member

All the advice re carbs the night before and porridge for breakfast work well for me, and it’s been well tested…
    Fry up is the worst. It’s all fat and protein, no actual energy. Banana and toast would be better than that

xcneil
    Free Member

Mc Donalds sausage and egg mc muffin x2 yummy & a huge bag of popcorn the night before !

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What sorts of food shall I eat before a hard ride.’ is closed to new replies.