Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Steel 29er
  • 1kcove
    Free Member

Not sure! i like the idea of blasting around singletrack on my steel H/T ? it’s so simple maybe that’s what it is, some reason i keep thinking i want a steel 29er but why i ask myself? they look good & they ride smooth, so i’m told. The Yank’s luv’m.
    Has anyone else made the switch & had any regrets ?
    or do you have a frame for sale.
    Don’t worry i’ll be keeping my Orange 5 for the heavy stuff.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I swapped and trust me, don’t ever do it.

I’d say more, but it upsets me too much.

Rorschach
    Free Member

After many years of big bouncy semi downhill bikes I ended up on a steel rigid 29er ss…..been on a lighter alu one for a couple of years for racing and now I’m done with that I’ll be going back to a steel one (when it arrives!)

1kcove
    Free Member

Rorschach What have you bought ?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

After only ever having full suspension bikes, I got a Haro Mary XC last year and built it up with an Alfine wheelset.

Took a while to get the hang of it, but it was a number of firsts for me. First hardtail, first 29er, first Alfine – only eight gears and no granny ring. I’d had steel hybrids so the whole steel-is-real thing wasn’t such a big departure.

Worth perservering with, ended up loving it. It’s especially good for quick blasts around the woods on technical singletrack – you get far more confident hooning over stuff, knowing that there are fewer trail features that are just the size of your wheel that it can get trapped in. Preferred it for that kind of purpose rather than long days in the saddle, which you’d think the big wheels would be more suited to.

So much so, have upgraded the frame for a Salsa Selma from the classifieds on here.

As a result, the Haro Mary frame, original wheels and another couple of bits are for sale. Could be your cheap ticket to the world of big wheels! Details HERE

tang
    Free Member

On a niner mcr, lovely ride.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I love my Karate Monkey pretty much does everything

P1000109 by jerrypc69, on Flickr

you need one of these bad boys

1kcove
    Free Member

StefMcDef Thank’s to small would be looking at Large?

Bazz

I can’t ever see me owning a 26″ hardtail again, and i can’t ever see me owning a 29er full sus either, one of each, horses for courses, all bases covered etc.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

1kcove – Member

StefMcDef Thank’s to small would be looking at Large?

Ach well, worth a try. It’s quite a generously sized 18″ frame. Dunno what height you are, but I was ever so slightly stretched out on it, at 5’10”.

The wheels are still 29ers mind, and will fit whatever frame you get 😉

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have more fun on my ss gt 29er than any full sus bike I have had. One of the cheapest bikes I have built too

pop-larkin
    Free Member

My swift saw the end of my trek ex8 if thats any use to you

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

love my Karate Monkey pretty much does everything

+1 😀

1kcove
    Free Member

Sprocketjockey is there a lot of trail buzz with steel forks?

bullheart
    Free Member

I sold my six other bikes (5 x 26″, 1 x 29″) because of this.

Rorschach
    Free Member

El Mariachi 2 (it’ll probably get here long before the Niner 15mm forks ever will though!!)
    The old war horse…will be half fat,eventually.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack – what would the 29er massive consider to be the optimum stem length/rise bar sweep/straightness?

I only ever tried what I had lying around the shed or could swap off other bikes.

What is everyone else riding with?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Sprocketjockey is there a lot of trail buzz with steel forks?

Not as much as you’d expect but depends on what you’re riding obviously…. it’s a particular riding style too. You need to be prepared to move around the bike a bit more and stay fairly loose rather than holding the bars in a death grip. I started out riding rigid steel bikes so it all feels pretty natural to me and TBH I really struggle on suspension bikes unless I’m riding really technical stuff.

Steel is pretty compliant and having a nice fat tyre on the front and some decent bars and grips helps a lot.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

On my swift I had some titec h bars- they really helped give a bit of compliance to the front end

29erconvert
    Free Member

I went from and enduro 150mm front and back, to a on-one steel inbread 29er fully ridged my riding has got loads better and wouldnt have the enduro back even if it was free!!!!!!!!!!!!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I think want OP needs is a COTIC 29″ out early next year.

takisawa2

Another Inbred here. Run it for nearly a year now, rigid, suss fork (Reba team), SS, 1×10. Enjoy it more than any other bike I’ve owned. Have my name down with Cotic for the Solaris, but will probably just keep the Inbred. I have some Fox 29RL’s to try out, & some Singular 29er forks that I cant wait to get fitted. Really like the Swift but seem to have been out of stock for the last 100 years. Dont miss the FS at all, but dont go thinking you’ll be hitting stuff like you can on your 5′.

Sam

Really like the Swift but seem to have been out of stock for the last 100 years

Trouble is, people keep buying them! I had stock arrive in September, which quickly sold. Another 150 Swifts arriving here tomorrow, hopefully that will last us through to spring, though there are quite a lot of backorders already…. Best to let me know sooner rather than later if you want one.

Clobber
    Free Member

Nice looking Swift In the classifieds…

I love mine, If I had to have only one bike, it’d be the swift…

charliedontsurf

Steel you say
    29er eh

My favourite format of bike… Welcome to my world.

Charge, surly, salsa, nicer, canfield. And some others that I can’t tell you about yet.

Get In Touch, call me, if you wanna chat about the best format of cycle ever…

bol

Charlie, your website doesn’t seem to play nicely with Safari on my phone, otherwise I’d be doing a lot more of my 29er browsing on your site.

tom13
    Free Member

I’m in the same situation. Then I ended up riding a haro mary and bloody loved it. If you look for a Mary and you are anywhere around 5ft11 get a medium.

takisawa2

You missed the SIR9 off there Charlie…your glowing recomendation has it marked down as my “lottery-win” buy. 🙂

Swifts in stock tomorrow eh… 😕 🙂

chunkypaul
    Free Member

get a cotic solaris in February and write up a report on what it is like on here 😉

los
    Free Member

Bullheart, that’s sherweet. What is it? I fear that if you had to sell 6 bikes to acquire it, it may be out of my league!

takisawa2

Hmmm…Bullhearts Jabberwocky does look very nice…

Clink

I had a Jabber for a while – really liked it, but found that lost traction out of the saddle climbing (SS) far sooner than on On-one frame.

coastkid
    Free Member

love my Karate Monkey pretty much does everything

+2 😀

Tyninghame by coastkid71, on Flickr

bullheart
    Free Member

My Jabber is fookin’ supreme…

had a Jabber for a while – really liked it, but found that lost traction out of the saddle climbing (SS) far sooner than on On-one frame

Weirdly, i’m gobsmacked how much traction it has uphill. But I do have a massive arse, which may help.

It’s very slack. Feels like a proper-sized Prince Albert.

Clink

Weirdly, i’m gobsmacked how much traction it has uphill. But I do have a massive arse, which may help.

😆

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Steel 29er’ is closed to new replies.