Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • what size stem?
  • robhenry85
    Free Member

i somehow orded a kingdon lunar 680 carbon bar 😉

so i though i’d get a new stem to go with it, at the moment i have a 100mm one that came with the bike. i have been thinking about jumping on the short stem bandwaggon to see what all the fuss is about.

so what size do most people have/ recomend for a hardtail that i use for alsorts, trail, hills, rocks etc

robhenry85
    Free Member

anybody? i was thinking an Easton Haven 70mm is this short enough of a short stem?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

70mm. I have been running this length for over ten years, occasionally try a 90mm to see if I’m denying myself any benefits, but no.
    Its always going to be a personal choice though. The Haven is pretty pricy, I would see if I could borrow one, or buy a cheapy just to try the fit first though.

skywalker
    Free Member

It depends on;

Effective top tube length

The length of your torso

The length of your arms

The height of the front end

Bar width

The type of riding you will be doing

Plus a bit of personal preference and probably a few other things I have missed.

You can’t just tell someone to fit a __mm stem and expect everything to be fine and dandy.

smell_it
    Free Member

I thought it was short stem and wide bars that were on trend, and that wider bars offset reach issues with shorter stems. Either way, as said above no one can tell you what’s right for you, I wouldn’t go spaffing big bucks on a combo until I knew what was right for me

robhenry85
    Free Member

right then, looking like i’ll get on ebay and get a few cheap stems

smell_it
    Free Member

Put an ad on the wanted’s here, there is usually plenty of kit floating about.

muckytee
    Free Member

I run 711 bars with a 50mm, should be with a 60mm really (a bit twitchy) depends on your Head angle (mine is 68) 70mm would be a safe bet.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I’ve been toying with this dilemma as well recently – I have a 100mm stem on :?my 29er and my LBS very helpfully had a rummage in their spare parts box and found an 80mm for me to have a go with. Might be worth asking your to do similar. On the understanding that you end up buying your new stem through them though, I guess.

Haven’t yet had time to try them both out in a control experiement to see whether there’s any discernible difference.

It’s a bit of a brainache as there are so many variables, stem length, angle, bar width, bar rise, bar sweep. 😕 Impossible to try them all out.

robhenry85
    Free Member

just seen the on-one for £20, will give a 70mm a try

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘what size stem?’ is closed to new replies.