Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What should I do (parcel delivery content)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I ordered a work-stand earlier in the week and got a sory you were out card on Thursday, thought mehhhh i’ll have to pick it up on Saturday and thought nothing of it. Ditto the 2nd attempt on Friday .

So I went on-line to see where the depot is, expecting it to be on the same industrial estate as parcelforce, fed-ex, etc in Middlesbrough. It’s in frikin Newcastle! Am I being unreasonable in thinking of phoning the shop and telling them to re-send it by a courier that can at least deliver it to a depot within a 50 mile radius? It’s not like I live in the sticks I (if I was living up in the middle of nowhere in Northumberland and Newcastle was 50 miles south then I’d be less annoyed as I’d not expect a closer depot, but no depot in the entirety of Teesside or north Yorkshire??)

khani
    Free Member

Ask for a delivery spot when you’re in or phone the shop and tell em you want a refund cos their Home delivery is fifty miles away from your actual home…
    This is why I hate couriers, total pita if you actually work during working hours…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The only option for re-delivery would be to take a day off work and wait for it, which would cost me twice what the workstand did!

Cheapest solution rather stupidly is actually to ignore it, and re-order and pay the extra for next day delivery (which would be parcelforce), have it not delivered while I’m at work then collect it from the depot.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And DPD don’t even have a phone number you can call them on with a person on the end of it! Every single frikin option takes you to yet another automated option!

khani
    Free Member

I don’t buy from places that use couriers any more, Royal mail might have their failings but at least if you miss a delivery it’s not a total pita to pick up your stuff, rather than a gazzillion mile trip to a depot in outer Mongolia..
    and the postie lives on our close, so if I’m out he takes it home and drops it off after work
    Which is nice….. 😀

totalshell

yeh but RM is EXPENSIVE. i ship a lot of gear sold on ebay i had one parcel cost 26 pound to delivery to that london. so when i sold some forks this week to a guy 18 miles away i went to the PO and was asked for 8.80 so jumped in the van and took it myself!

khani
    Free Member

Yes but once you’ve driven to outer Mongolia to pick up your stuff because you have the temerity to be at work during working hours, it’s not worth it generally….
    Edit, 36 mile round trip in a van and lets say an hour of your time to save £8.80,
    your selling yourself too cheap…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yeh but RM is EXPENSIVE. i ship a lot of gear sold on ebay i had one parcel cost 26 pound to delivery to that london. so when i sold some forks this week to a guy 18 miles away i went to the PO and was asked for 8.80 so jumped in the van and took it myself!

RM’s about the cheepest. About £12 for a parcel (big enough for a bike frame) + £1 per £100 insurance. The 110mile round trip to the DPD depot would cost me £20 in fuel and a days earnings!

awh
    Free Member

I tried to send a frame with Yodel and then City Link, both failed to turn up to pick it up twice! Even though Parcel Force is a bit more expensive at least I can walk into a Post Office and know it’s been sent! And if they try and deliver and I miss them they leave the parcel at my local Post Office. They may be more expensive but the convenience and service definitely make it worth it over the couriers.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wear this:

Cos Rmail use these:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And you get the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing they’re lasering Scottish bearing retailers 😛

khani
    Free Member

AAAAARRRRGGHH!!!!!!!!!!! MY EYES!!!!!!………right that’s it!! I’m off..[flounce]*………..

*not an actual flounce….

smudge
    Free Member

If you cant get it delivered to your works address, how about one of your mates addresses where someone will be in all day?

sv

And you get the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing they’re lasering Scottish bearing retailers

Money well spent 😆

spooky_b329

Parcelforce will leave your parcels at the local post office if you ask them, they make collections from there anyway as you can use parcelforce instead of royal mail.

I had a great experience last week, knew I’d missed a delivery due to the tracking system, was working near three depot and didn’t fancy driving home 40 miles, then making an 80 mile round trip the following day.

As expected, the item was still out on the van, but they called the driver and got him to leave it at the post office. they will sometimes leave at the post office without being asked, sounds like the OP’s driver is just bit unhelpful by taking it back to the depot after two missed deliveries.

PS note post office, not sorting office where you normally collect stuff 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The OP was complaining about DPD who don’t have a depot within 50 miles, not RM/PF (who are generally fine and either leave it in the post office or the RM offices down the road).

Can’t get it delivered to work as they’d have to sit through a 20 minute H&S briefing before being allowed through the gate.

Flaperon

In that case why not ask them to leave it with the bloke at the gate?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont you have neighbours ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dont you have neighbours ?

Surprisingly enough they have jobs too (well, acutlay they don’t, one is utterly mental so I ignore him, and the other is far too nice, but I’ve lived here a year now and it’s got past the point where it’d be rude to ask her name again!).

Just figured out it’s not the workstand which probably means it’s more expensive and acutaly worth picking up, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

In that case why not ask them to leave it with the bloke at the gate?

Can’t do that either.

geoffj

You wouldn’t have this problem if you bought it from your LBS
    Just saying like

trail_rat
    Free Member

i had similar issues with TNT tbh at my parents – they live in town , tnt will not leave packages round the back there.

at my gaff they leave stuff all over the place but im in nowheresville

anyway TNT were trying to deliver a 30KG wooden mantel for my fireplace – tried twice to leave it at my parents after id informed them twice that it was to be delivered else where if they would not leave it – both times they left a card with a delivery number that would not work on their system so i couldnt change it (change of target address would have been an option on their system according to the card)

phoned up and twice i got them to do it manually for me

the third time when i went off the head they agreed to deliver it to my grandparents who are always in and i asked them to email me confirmation of this (as they were going to send it back to sender after this attempt)

i have a dislike of couriers – least with royal snail i know my postie by first name and he just puts it in an agreed place 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

dpd have an option to set up a ‘leave in secure location’ service. Can’t you do that?

Its hardly the couriers fault if you can’t get it delivered to work is it? Do you want every courier company to have a depot close to your home?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ts hardly the couriers fault if you can’t get it delivered to work is it? Do you want every courier company to have a depot close to your home?

No, but 55 miles is taking the piss, the sender is only marginaly further away than that!

Sorted now, coleague has to go home that way so he’s picking it up.

PePPeR

To be fair my local DPD driver saw my liveried van as I was driving past him the other day, flagged me down and let me sign for a parcel that he had attempted to deliver to my house, (after seeing some ID off me). I thought he used his initiative very well and saved us both a lot of hassle!

Some delivery drivers have more sense than others possibly 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What should I do (parcel delivery content)’ is closed to new replies.