Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • what shoes for work – (worth keeping)?
  • plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Looking for some decent smart shoes for work. I'm quite heavy on my heels so need something long lasting and worth resoleing.

Finally lost my confidence in mass-market when I noticed Next selling "Italia Collection" made in Vietnam shoes for £50 and you could see the glue!

I'm not minted and only work in low-glamour Ops management so budget is £60- £70 quid. Will I get anything British made & worth hanging onto for this much?

binners

Ted Baker do sshoes are really well made, really last well and come in at about £75-90 normally. Just spotted these though

http://www.scottsonline.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=12551&storeId=11801&langId=-1&cm_mmc=froogle-_-product_feed-_-affiliate-_-froogleprod&productId=269591

nickb

You have to register for the site, but these look great value for £45 (reduced from £95). Other styles available too

http://www.brandalley.com
    John White shoes collection.

Nick

Ambrose

Doctor Martens with the hidden stitching. They hurt like hell for a week, then once broken in are as comfy as slippers and last forever. I work in a lab- they have the added bonus of being oil/ grease/ fat/ acid resistant too!

brakes
    Free Member

I've always liked Poste shoes, they're not super hard wearing but are well made
    I've just replaced a pair I've had for 3 years, 3 re-heels and one sole replacement in that time

mefty
    Free Member

These peopledo seconds and discontinued line from various Northampton shoe makers, you should be able to find something in your price range

BillMC

In and around Northampton you have factory shops like Church's, Cheaneys (Desborough), Crockett and Jones, Trickers. People drive from all over the country and buy several pais and they're set up for years. I noticed in Italy the most expensive/best shoes on offer were from Norhampton.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

If you keep an eye on TK Maxx, I got a pair of Loake brogues in there for 39.99. May have to take a few trips in, but well worth it

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

+ for BillMC.

atlaz
    Free Member

How about a pair of these? Sartorial elegance and you could even go in wearing a smoking jacket 🙂

tron
    Free Member

Barker do good made in England shoes, as do Loake. However, some Loake stuff is made in India. I don't particularly rate the John White shoes – the leather isn't as good as other makes.

Both Barker & Loake are £100+, but I did pick up a pair of Barkers for £60 or so in a sale at House of Fraser. There are also a number of places that sell Loake seconds cheaply if you look around.

Both the above brands use traditional construction techniques, so the shoes do look like shoes, rather than the disgusting offspring of trainers and shoes. For me, that's a good thing, but you may view things differently.

Avoid like the plague any of the shoes advertised in the newspaper / circulars as being made with the same processes (Goodyear Welted etc.) as top brand English shoes etc. normally on a silly deal like 2 pairs for £50. Unsurprisingly, they're totally rubbish.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I was once given very sage advice, which was to spend good money on your boots or your bed, as if you are not in one, you're in the other.

It's very true. Cheap shoes are a massive false economy. If you can, get a pair of well made ones, as mentioned by Tron above they don't have to be too expensive, but they really will pay themselves off over the years.

tinsy
    Free Member

Loake's or Cheaney's, both nice and well worth a re sole when needed. Both do very classic style shoes. Budget shoes, its worth having a look in M&S they do a nice Brogue (I have some on right now)

davidrussell
    Free Member

definitely getting round to this way of thinking having bought several pairs of shoes in the last few years that weren't cheap (70 quid plus)but didn't last. Mostly the shoes were comfortable enough but did not wear well – I work in IT support so moving around a lot, crawling under desks etc. That herring shoes site looks good – thanks!

ourmaninthenorth

+ 1 for BillMC and CFH

Barker and Loake are both reputable manufacturers, who make shoes towards the budget end (bearing in mind shoes from John Lobb cost in the thousands). I have both Barkers and Loakes – nothing particularly flash (priciest pair were c£150).

EDIT: I meant to add that, if you're looking at getting shoes that can be re-soled, ensure that those you buy have stitched soles, as the bonded soles are not replaceable.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘what shoes for work – (worth keeping)?’ is closed to new replies.