• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • what roof bars and where from???
  • fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

going off to see my sis in law in july(she lives in Exeter so if one knows some good routes on dartmoor please let me know)so need to get my bike there and was thinking that roof bars and bike rack would be a good way to go.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

slight thread hijack – i’ve seen inflatable roof rack thingies recently – does anyone know if thy’re any good?

Drac

Thule and from here http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

Spongebob
    Free Member

A boot rack is cheapest, but is a hassle to fit and restricts access to the boot (especially when a bike is loaded). Can also damage paintwork/body panels and will obscure number your plate.

Roof bars are good, but reduce fuel efficency and some peoel will struggle to lift a bike onto a car roof. I recommend Thule Aero bars and matching aluminium bike carriers. Thule’s Steel ones are cheaper and just as functional however. Get a locking kit so it doesn’t walk off the roof of your car one night!

The best solution IMHO is a towbar mounted locking bike rack. But this is the most expensive route.

charlierevell
    Free Member

You ought to ride the quantocks really…

roach

i can recommend Thule as I bought a full roof bar and proride 591 setup last week for 2 bikes. Bit fiddly to initially setup but rock solid for taking to the Dyfi on saturday.

wors

how do the halfords bars compare to the thule?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thule bars and racks (591s – I’ve had mine for 2+ years and they’ve been completely faultless and you can drive at speeds waaaay in excess of their reccomendations!). Yes, you can feel them if its windy etc but they’re brilliant.

Bought mine from skidrive.co.uk (think thats the address). Can’t rememeber how much I saved over RRP but it was a lot.

coffeeking
    Free Member

bigbutslimmerbloke – not tried them but can only cringe at the thought of bodywork damage from grit between “bar” and roof paint – not for me.

flatfish
    Free Member

skidrive.co.uk

just bought some last week cheaper than anywhere else and at my door by 8.30 next for no extra charge.

fab

theflatboy
    Free Member

i got mine from skidrive as well – i’ve got the outride 561 fork mount job, it’s tres solid and generally awesome. 🙂

markenduro
    Free Member

Another + for skidrive.co.uk, bought 2xthule 291s last week, already had the roof bars though.
    What make of car is it? Sometimes it’s cheaper to buy bars from the main dealer for your make of car, most of them are made by thule anyway (ford and VAG certainly are anyway).

haddock
    Free Member

Thule 591, brilliant and been selling for half price at Halfords of late (think they were £75). Mine on the roof permanantly, use them several times a week, can load bike up in 20 secs max using the wind up ratchet system located at roof bar height. Brilliant! 😀

Drac

hule 591, brilliant and been selling for half price at Halfords of late (think they were £75)

£68 on roofbox.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘what roof bars and where from???’ is closed to new replies.