Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What rear rack?
  • scratch
    Free Member

Are Tubus much better than the Blackburn?
    Anyone ever snapped a Blackburn rack?

Related pics would brighten up a boring Monday.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes and yes.

Tubus are much better and I have snapped a blackburn one – panniers full of camping kit offroad.

For a light load it doesn’t matter but for heavy loads especially offroad the tubus is the one to go for. You can see the higher quality as soon as you see them. Its also much more stable

soma_rich
    Free Member

I got this one as it was so cheap and was not expecting much but its used every day and has covered hundreds of miles now. Never taken massive weight but goes off road quite often with my pannier on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-26-700-mm-cycle-bike-luggage-pannier-rack-/160578696536?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item6b1b6e99c6#ht_1439wt_952

TiRed

If you absolutely must have steel (for repairs), then yes, get a Tubus. If not, I’ve been satisfied with Blackburn (carried luggage and a child). I also like the Topeak racks, and commute with one of these. The slot to take the MTX rack packs is excellent.

CraigW
    Free Member

I’ve got a Tubus Logo, it seems nice and solid. I like the design, with the lower rail for panniers. Though the top platform may be a bit too narrow for securely attaching a rackpack.
    I’ve also been looking at Racktime racks – they are the same company as Tubus, but cheaper and made of aluminium.

I have previously snapped a Topeak rack, but that may have been after it was damaged in a crash.

scratch
    Free Member

Cool, thanks, It’ll not be taking a huge amount of kit, I usually use a number of dry bags tent / cooking, food / clothes
    (sleeping bag + liner gets bungee’d to the bars)

I did a long tour over the weekend, as it was just a road 2 dayer I thought I’d get away with a rucksack on my back but found I really suffered with back pain on the longer climbs.

I have an old Blackburn rack, I was going to chuck it on but thought the extra weight of the rack and the short trip length it’d be a better option not too.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I used my Tubus racks on the TransAm, Mme Moonteresse used the old (80’s)USA made Jim Blackburn alloy expedition and low rider racks.

Both performed faultlessly. Off road may be a different kettle of fish.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can of course get the titanium tubus fly if you are worried about weight

scratch
    Free Member

Yeah I looked at that, and the price!

Baldysquirt

Tubus are really strong. Hd a couple of crashes whilst touring in Africa a few years back. A couple of slightly bent tubes on the front racks from pretty big impacts, but rack still perfectly useable. Excellent bits of kit.

yunki
    Free Member

I haven’t got vast experience of multiple racks..

but the blackburn expedition that I use to mount a child seat on is tough enough to carry a hefty 40lbs young lad off road with no sign of wear..

Coleman
    Free Member

“You can of course get the titanium tubus fly if you are worried about weight”

Or perhaps even a Tubus Airy;

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What rear rack?’ is closed to new replies.