Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What port for christmas day?
  • sam_underhill

nothing too pricey, but perhaps something a bit better than normal, or different to share with the family (or at least pretend to).

of course once it has all gone, there will hopefully have been a lovely single malt of some description left under the tree for me. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For quaffing, Warre's Otima is usually reliable. Other than that, what's your budget?

tankslapper
    Free Member

Why not try white port as an alternative?

sam_underhill

budget – probably up to £30 – £35

AndyP
    Free Member

big vintage fan here but how about going for something a little different and serving a quality chilled tawny with the cheese.

this is a stunner for the money, if you can get hold.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Last year I found a Cockburn's "Platignum" – about £30 but tasted terrific, if you can find one.

The best I ever tasted was a Cockburn's vintage 1967 (more crust than bottle glass) as a treat after an appalling wet and cold ride across the West Mendips on a coast-to-coast in 1997, in an italian restaurant in Wells.

Worth every penny at £15 a glass… 😯

Tasted like liquid silk. 🙂

GSter
    Free Member

a nice bottle of Fonseca

Pigface
    Free Member

Harwich…… Iwgmc

Dobbo

Port 21 FTP is my favourite.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the one nickc gave me for my birthday last year

the whole bottle between me and mrsmw

first christmas at home together 🙂

will
    Free Member

Think Portsmouth would be nice on christmas day.

upanddownhill
    Free Member

Graham's make a great tawny port, for something interesting to try.

Just settle down with some white stilton, heaven!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The one my brother bought me for Christmas two years ago and has been sat in a cupboard ever since. (And it is a proper vintage one but can't remember which).

sam_underhill

cheers all, some great suggestions. mmm…. I wonder if I need to test a bottle first just to make sure 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh definitely. Don't take anyone'sh word for it. It's besht to be shure… 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If you're testing bottles, I recommend a 2001 Graham's LBV (2003 is good also, but try and find a 2001 if you can), it shouldn't cost you more than £12 and knocks the socks off more expensive ports. Graham's Crusted Port also got a good write up by Oz Clarke recently (approx.£18). Failing that, Ramos Pinto do a good range at £30 and upwards.

bomberman
    Free Member

Ellsmere port? what what?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

LBV is indeed a good option if you're on that sort of budget. Some great stuff out there.

For vintage, check out the tables on http://www.bbr.com/vintage-chart or http://www.decanter.com/vintageguides/region_guide.php?region=Vintage%20Port

teef
    Free Member

Strongest stuff you can get hold of and swig it down as early as possible that way the day will hopefully pass as a painless blur.

richmars

I did a port tasting last year and the best was a 1995 LBV Smith Woodhouse at £15. Also tried 1982 Ferreira and 1977 Warre which cost alot more but not as good. Also tried eating things other than cheese so my supper is a glass of port, dark choc and rasins.

iamtheresurrection

Go for a single Quinta for a good alternative to a vintage.

I absolutely love Taylors Quinta de Vargellas for top value… It'll be about £30.

backhander
    Free Member

Depends on the weather really.
    If there's a storm, then any will do.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What port for christmas day?’ is closed to new replies.