• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by tron.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What phone's decent & comes with buttons?
  • tron
    Free Member

I’m after a new phone – preferably a candybar format, maybe Sony Ericsson – had them in the past and found them to be super useable and no faff with bluetoothing contacts from the old phone to the new.

I currently have a HTC Hero, and whilst all the Carlos Fandango stuff is nice, the battery doesn’t last long enough, and it’s not that great as a phone. Not interested in a jesusPhone for the same reason.

So what is there in a fairly normal, no sliding stuff format that’s reasonably nifty? Ideally I’d not be lashing out a load of cash as I’m mid contract.

Ideally whatever I have will have Google Maps, a decentish screen so that the internet is useable (happy to use Opera Mini if the browser isn’t all that), and a facebook app.

Any ideas?

Edit: IT NEEDS TO HAVE BUTTONS. BUTTONS! And be quick. I still miss my 8310’s instant responses.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Nokia X6.

tron
    Free Member

Should have mentioned that I want something with buttons. I’m fed up of having a phone that requires both hands and my full attention to use.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Nokia E72. Full Qwerty so you can type really fast, decent screen, good web, Nokia maps installed but can download Google maps, GPS, 5mp camera. Apps available from the Nokia Ovi website

IA

Been enjoying an E5 I’ve had on loan the past week or so. One thing going for it is its great buttons. And battery life is pretty great for a smartphone.

I wrote more about it here: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/talk-to-me-about-nokia-phones#post-1824057

Not sure price wise how they stack up, though I know they’re mid-range.

tails
    Free Member

Nokia are releasing the X3 and C3 touch and type hones in the next month, have a look.

IA

Good call with those, I’ve used an X3 touch n type and it was ace. Very slim, solidly built and the genius of the simple addition of a touchscreen to a regular phone has to be used to be appreciated. Not a great webbrowser/maps experience though, it’s not a smartphone. Decent enough though, and there’s a lot to be said for it being small, tough, cheap etc.

crikey
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a geriatric phone.

I SAID, SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED A GERIATRIC PHONE…

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

My current sony W995 has been brilliant, despite the abuse i’ve given it as a builder type person.
    I will shortly be replacing it with HTC Desire Z

Cougar

There’s a Sony Android with buttons, X10 Pro maybe? Something like that.

tron
    Free Member

Not right bothered about having Android again. It seems far too keen to do everything but provide a decent phone – calling someone’s mobile as opposed to the default landline is hugely complex compared to any decent normal phone.

As for geriatric phones, I reckon we’ll see a generation of people crippled by the utterly shocking ergonomics of touchscreen devices.

CountZero

As for geriatric phones, I reckon we’ll see a generation of people crippled by the utterly shocking ergonomics of touchscreen devices.

What shocking ergonomics are those?

Sandwich

Make sure the phone comes with Cadburys buttons, giant size are best.

Toasty

Tried the swype keyboard? Very quick when you get used to it.

tron
    Free Member

What shocking ergonomics are those?

The unnatural hunch involved in holding it in one hand and pecking at the screen with your other.

beej

Try the Nokia C5. My girlfriend has one, good battery life and proper buttons.

Nokia C5

5lab

blackberry curves are dirt cheap on virgin at the moment (mine was free on a £10/month contract, with unlimited data). Has buttons, facebook, browser (and opera), google maps. Screen isn’t as big as a touchscreen device, up to you if that matters or not.

the new one (torch??) I’ve not seen myself, but also has 3g, large touch screen (and still buttons), gps and a better camera.

tron
    Free Member

I’ll have to try a Blackberry out. I wonder if it would be back to having something a bit too big to comfortably operate with one hand.

Ultimately, I’ve decided that what I’d like is something roughly equivalent to the old Sony Ericsson K800i, with GPS, sports tracker, google maps and Opera Mini. Wifi and facebook would be nice bonuses, as would some ruggedness, as my phone’s screens always seem to fill with dust. I’m mid contract too, so cheap helps!

The Nokia 6700 is getting close, but it’s a bit too much of a phone purely for ringing people on, and it’s made by Nokia.

alanf
    Free Member

Sony Erickson Elm I believe fits your bill

tron
    Free Member

That looks spot on. I reckon it’s a toss up between the Elm and the Nokia 6720 – probably the Elm due to my dislike of Nokia. Soon I will be free from the tyranny of touchscreen!

And the Elm’s a hundred quid. Spot on.

Thank you AlanF!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What phone's decent & comes with buttons?’ is closed to new replies.