Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What PC game?
  • aye-aye
    Free Member

I've got hold of a newish PC and want play some games again after a couple of years off (Counterstrike and BF2 were last games I played).
    PC probably won't handle the latest games:
    Athlon 64 3800+
    2 Gig ram
    9600GT 1 Gig graphics card

What FPS games are good?

P.S. I'm really not into goblins and magic gloves of arse power etc

alwyn
    Free Member

Doom 3

Surfr
    Free Member

Halflife 2?

DomC
    Free Member

Crysis is a really cool FPS (made by the same people that did Far Cry). It plays really well and looks awesome, it does take a very powerful PC to run it to its full capabilities but yours is a similar spec to mine and it still looks pretty damn good. Call of Duty 4 – Modern Warfare is also really good (if a bit linear) with some really nicely thought-out missions and settings. Going back a bit further, Half Life 2 is brilliant. You can pick that up with some of the expansions for pretty cheap now and it's still well worth it.
    I'd avoid Far Cry 2 like the plague, it's poo. The new Wolfenstein is (sadly) supposed to be a bit dodgy too.

Flaperon

Bioshock. 'Nuff said. Your PC will handle Crysis without a problem at medium settings, I used to play it on an el-cheapo laptop.

racefaceec90

duke nukem forever 😉

dustypumpkins

Red Alert 2.

racefaceec90

sorry couldn't resist. try the orange box,mirror's edge (i know it's not strictly a shooter,but i really enjoyed it),the new wolfenstein game (haven't played it though)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Wolfensten enemy territory, free download multiplayer, multiserver WWII FPS, I've been playing it for 4 years now, haven't bought a PC game since.

I'm a moderator on the Joyrex server, if you download the game let me know and I'll link you to joyrex and give you instant admin powers.

😉

jond
    Free Member

Don't forget to check out the demos unless you're sure it'll run – my machine (a little old now) just about runs some things ok(Doom3, Quake 4) but runs like a dog with the ET:QW demo, despite it being the same engine (iirc)

HL2 ought to run well on most things – another vote for the Orange Box. Portal's great fun, btw 🙂
    If you get/install HL2, there's demos of other games available directly via Steam.

eldridge
    Free Member

HL2
    ARMA – Armed Assault
    COD 4

MtbCol
    Free Member

Fallout 3.
    And the many mods you can install to improve the gamr no end.
    2 must haves for mods are Marts Mutant Mod and Darnified UI.
    Others of note – Fallout3 Wanderers Edition – makes the game more interesting to play and actually turns it into more of a survival game
    Fellout – a nice weather mod that removes the green/brown shading from everything.

BlingBling
    Free Member

CoD4
    CoD WaW
    L4D

samuri
    Free Member

cod 4
    bioshock
    first far cry
    fallout 3
    GTA 4
    I'm playing Red Faction guerilla on the xbox at the moment and absolutely loving it. Wall in your way? No problem, just knock it down.

ComradeD
    Free Member

the new Wolfenstein is class

also Fallout 3

lowey

Orange Box.

The amount of games you get with it is unbeatable.

aye-aye
    Free Member

Cheers, thats a few to be getting on with
    Is Left4Dead any good?
    Duke Nukem, aah the memories of '96

Northwind

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. Just make sure you rip the top off and pour a load of mods in. Fantastic game…

jond
    Free Member

Hmm..I had Stalker on pre-order for about 18 months 😮 – was a bit disappointed when it finally arrived. Mebbe the mods make the difference…

BlingBling
    Free Member

Left 4 dead is good but like all online games you get some asshats and L4D has more asshats than any other OL game I've played.

afrothunder88

Another vote for Fallout 3, recently got me back into PC gaming in a big way. Have yet to try out any mods for it though.

As stated, avoid Far Cry 2, complete & utter toss.

Northwind

jond: "Hmm..I had Stalker on pre-order for about 18 months – was a bit disappointed when it finally arrived."

Heh, if you got it on release I'm not surprised, it was basically broken when they launched it, same with the sequel Clear Skies (which tbh isn't very good). Really bad stuff, no game should launch in such poor shape. But it's been pretty well patched now, and some of the mods do make a big difference. I love it, I could happily spend time just wandering the zone, finding random guys having a chat round the fireplace etc…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What PC game?’ is closed to new replies.