Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What music set-up for an 11 year old?
  • crimsondynamo
    Free Member

When I was his age in 1985 it was a Matsui mini getto-blaster cassette/radio type affair, + a walkman.

What’s the modern equivalent?

My collection is all CDs which are all ripped to Itunes and mirrored over to Google Play music if that makes any difference.

senorj

Get him/her a record deck ,a half decent amp ,speakers& some vinyl!
    Or some ridiculously overpriced headphones.

luke
    Free Member

My lad has music on his laptop and mobile via spotify.
    Could also do the ipad spotify/Deezer route.
    A fixed monthly amount allows him to access music on the go and I share the plan as does the wife so we all use spotify for £9.99 a month.

Cougar

Sadly,

Isn’t the answer here “iPhone”?

iainc

Ours are 9 and 13, iPhones and logins to the family Spotify Premium works well. It can get a bit heated when the main HiFi (with Chromecast audio) goes into competition with the Bluetooth Soundbar/woofer 😀

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Sigh… He had a phone (£50 Nokia) and lost it.

curvature
    Free Member

My two aged aged 8 & 12 have Sonos Play 1’s.

jeffl

Phone/tablet here, access to the NAS with all the music on it plus Bluetooth speaker and headphones. For long car journeys he can download to the phone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Headphones or you will have to listen to it

nickc

Sigh… He had a phone (£50 Nokia) and lost it.

They do that at that age… 😆

A free sub to spotify, and a tablet that doesn’t leave the house.

sharkbait
    Free Member

My 3 girls all use nothing but Spotify now. Headphones a must (they use them 95% of the time) but they also have a Cambridge audio Bluetooth speaker each.
    Don’t spend to much on headphones as they will only break or lose them.
    There’s just too much music out there to be buying it.
    Boys requirements might be different though.

My collection is all CDs which are all ripped to Itunes and mirrored over to Google Play music if that makes any difference

Is he really going to listen to your music?

CraigW
    Free Member

For out and about, just buy a Sandisk Clip for £20, and load it up with MP3s.

For getting music, aren’t all of the cool kids using Pirate Bay etc…

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Sonos 1 x 2 actually a pretty good shout, as I have an 8y/o too.

Any better deals than £300 for a pair at John Lewis?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Don’t forget you need a controller for Sonos, smart phone, iPod or tablet.

Great kit though.

Chromecast Audio with your choice of plug in speakers could work well for streaming from Google Play. You’ll still need a smart device to control.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Chromecast Audio and Harman Kardon soundsticks would be a great setup for £120.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Yes, we have a Tesco hudle and soon to get a kindle fire (neither of which leave the house) so that should be fine.

I had a chromecast plugged into the sitting room hifi but it was a v. poor experience. The connection between the hudle and the chromecast kept dropping out and sometimes wouldn’t initiate in the first place. I replaced it with the good old CD player!

I have used Sonos at a friends house and it was flawless.

Is £300 a good deal for a pair of 1s?

iainc

Chromecast audio works perfectly here with various tablets, iPhones etc. Great idea and seamless result.

sirromj
    darrenspink
    Free Member

Spotify premium and a device to use it with. He won’t need anything else for a long time. He’ll discover a shed load of new music/artists and have the social side of it as well.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I have Sonos and Chromecast (for video). Both are rock solid and flawless with no dropouts.

If you are getting dropouts with Chromecast it may be a router issue that you may see with Sonos too. Maybe borrow a mates to try with your router.

£299 is what you’ll pay. Pricing is very static with very few deals about.

Would be a very good setup and a pair sound great, I love my setup and Play 1 the most likely impressive for the size. Sonos is expensive though and only really shines in value for money in multi room systems in my opinion. Needs a power plug by each speaker location which is a consideration.

Spotify, tablet and bluetooth speaker

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Option B, if they’re into electronics like I was at that age is some really basic but quality secondhand seperates.

You could pick something like a Rotel 930AX, a NAD 3020 and a set of classic B+W DM110’s all up for the same money, I bet.

Whack a line in jack and youve covered all the bases while also letting them learn a bit about the gear, stimulating the interest in electronics (wire it all up together) and I bet it will make a Bluetooth speaker sound like a fart in a can…

Bonus-each part can be replaced if damaged.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What music set-up for an 11 year old?’ is closed to new replies.