• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What more important – TT or ST length?
  • Kryton57

A new FS frame with the same TT, but 1″ shorter ST

or

a new FS frame with the same ST, but 1″ shorter TT

?

clubber
    Free Member

Top tube length. Sort of. You also need to factor in seat tube angle and all the other variables but assuming similar then top tube length matters while seat tube length doesn’t really.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Seat tube length is dependant on how high you have your saddle surely ie the theoretical seat tube length is different for every one.

As above geometry of seat tube is much more important.

Kryton57

Ok, well I have an 18.5 ST 24″ TT.

Note sure whether to go 17.5 & 24″ TT or 18.5 & 24.7 TT.

Intense Tracer current vs Trek EX 9 new. The trek sizings are the actual not the advertised sizes (which are 18.5 & 19.5 respectively).

I’m 5’11, 31 inside leg if it helps. And yes I know I should test one first.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I’s say the 17.5 for sure: you’re keeping the same reach and gaining valuable clearance for your danglies.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’s say the 17.5 for sure

+1.

you can always stick your seat up.

pedalhead
    Free Member

yep I’d definitely go on TT length. ST is mostly incidental imho and so long as it’s within a reasonable range isn’t going to cause a problem.

I’ve found that top tube length determines how a frame feels to ride and seat tube length determines how likely it is to break. 🙁

P20

Assuming you’re happy with the toptube length you already have, then stick with that. I size my bikes with tt length rather than seattube

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Famous Vegan – Fat Mike from NOFX.

Reports of him snapping bikes with his bulk are, as yet, unsubstantiated.

soulrider
    Free Member

Are we talking actual TT length or Effective TT length?

clubber
    Free Member

ETT obviously. Does anyone ever quote ATT when referring to fit?

mboy
    Free Member

24″ effective top tube is pretty long anyway for someone your height. I’m the same height and my bikes have all got between 23 and 23.5″ effective TT length, any longer feels too big. 24.7″ TT will be enormous! That said I have got longer legs than you, and obviously a shorter torso.

Seat tube length, within reason, is largely incidental as they make decent seatposts in lengths up to 410mm these days.

P.S. Is it just me that thinks Trek has gone excessively long in the Top Tube lengths these days? 24″ TT on a medium sized bike? 😕

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What more important – TT or ST length?’ is closed to new replies.