Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What light weight powerful head torch to mount on a quadcopter gimbal?
  • eviljoe
    Free Member

Simple question really….

I have one of these;

And I’ve just bought one of these;

And I need to do this;

I’ve done some experiments with bike lights, but the battery pack is too big and heavy, I need to get at least 5 minutes flight time, and keep the beam consistently on the ground, regardless of what the quadcopter is doing…

Can the STW hive mind recommend me a small yet powerful headtorch ideally running on max 2 x 18650 (or that I can patch into the 11.1v phantom powerpack- would this blow up a cree t6??) that I can bodge mount onto the rather small surface area of the gimbal?

Fairly random request I know, but if you are having a slow Wednesday, please feel free to pitch in with ideas 🙂

Just don’t ask why……

DrP

Joystick, with the ‘bar mount bracket’ – could glue/screw the bracket to the gimball (it has a tiny footprint).

Job done

DrP

clubber
    Free Member

Why?

eviljoe
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    Why?

Just don’t ask why……

Tedious work stuff…

Cheers Dr P- can you make any up/down adjustment on that?

Northwind

Joystick is lightweight but not especially bright. OTOH most of the brighter (cheap) torches will be a bit heavier.

trout
    Free Member

Hi Joe
    What sort of beam IE spot or flood and what range do you need

I could make a single Led and driver for you to wire into the copters battery . which led depends on the range and beam .

then you dont need to carry heavy batteries .

eviljoe
    Free Member

Hi Trout!

Thought this might tickle your fancy…

Would need to be about 2.5 m wide spot at 10-20 m away, my experiments have been with aldi zoomable torches, they’ve been quite useful so I can zoom to fit the available space on different sites.

Northwind, I think you’re right. Quick ebay search brings up this;

1800 zoomable headtorch

But don’t know if I would blow it up plugging it into 11.1v

trout
    Free Member

If that zoomable head torch is right then it would be a simple job to swap out the driver for one you could run from the copters battery

thats quite a tight spotlight at 20 metres

mogrim

Tedious work stuff…

Tedious work stuff is drawing up a document analysing risks in the crappy software system I’m dealing with. Sticking torches on a quadcopter isn’t.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Thanks Trout-

Yes, as I said, having a variable beam is the most useful.

Talk to me about different drivers? Where do you find them?

Cheers

Found pictures from our week in Germany again the other day- cracking bit of riding. Still miss that Salami and Weissbier…

flyingmonkeycorps

I have no idea, but I’d like to see the results some time!

eviljoe
    Free Member

@flyingmonkeycorps- once I’ve got it up and running I’ll post some footage of my experiments.. suffice to say it will involve me running around in the dark with a cordless smoke machine in one hand and the remote control to £700 of flying kit in the other…

You know the drill 🙂

trout
    Free Member

Just going to have a rummage in the tip/Garage and see what I have in stock .
    got most drivers so should have one that will do the job .

Going to Bavaria with the Germans in September you welcome to come along
    may have a space in the van as expecting one of the lads to drop out .

flyingmonkeycorps

We need to sync one of our trips down South with one of your performances. That or you should come up North again!

eviljoe
    Free Member

@trout- tempting, let me know the dates when you have them. Give me a shout when you’ve had a rummage in the garage- my email address is the same.

@flyingmonkeycorps- in Dorset end of April (for some reason I remember you having some links there?) but yes, may stray back oop north sometime soon…

onandon
    Free Member

You could knock up something using a couple of P60 drop in modules wired to the existing battery.
    I’d image a P60 drop in would only be 60 ish grams.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What light weight powerful head torch to mount on a quadcopter gimbal?’ is closed to new replies.