Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What lawnmower?
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Going for most boring STW thread of all time here.

Any recommendations?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What size lawn? What sort of effect do you want? Do you have a ready supply of electrickery to hand?

Markie
    Free Member

Leaving aside MF’s sensible questions, get a Honda Izy. Unless you need a tractor mower in which case get a John Deere. Sorted either way!

neilforrow

I thought you were a pikey student, what are you doing worrying about your lawn??? 😀

oh but a Hayter Harrier 56 Autodrive VS cuts the mustard well, grass

soma_rich
    Free Member

RealMan
    Free Member

Oh right, good point.

Yes to electricity. Medium sized lawn (30mx20m ish). The sort of effect that makes the grass looker shorter. Easy to push, lightweight, not too expensive etc.

I thought you were a pikey student, what are you doing worrying about your lawn???

I’m not, but my mum doesn’t have a STW account.

neilforrow

fair, you are in exeter right… I have got a flymo you can have for a tenner. that will do the job no probs…

RealMan
    Free Member

No, Portsmouth.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hayter or a goat.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

At that size I would be tempted by a petrol mower. Our (shared) lawn is some 35 metres long and 8 metres wide. I used our electric Flymo on it once and it was a pain. A neighbour bought a petrol thing from Homebase when it was on offer (about £100 IIRC) and it is much easier – just wander up and down with it as it pulls you along.

stumpyjon

One of these

just don’t get it stuck in a sewage treatment bed 😳

Just bought a 40cm Bosch electric one to replace a 10 year old Flymo, been very good so far.

Clobber
    Free Member

Petrol? Then buy a Honda Izy, nothing else is an option

thehustler
    Free Member

got me one of these back end of last year off ebay, get it in 3rd gear it will even do wheelies

allthepies
    Free Member

Bosch Rotak

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Ransome 5/7

sam_underhill

Really pleased with my hayter spirit 41

Same money as the izy, but you get a roller as well. And it’s a british company as well.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The Hustler – that looks like a children’s toy ride-on ‘mower 😉

The father in law has one with a powered tipper for the grass collection box and everything – it’s proper bling innit.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve always found Flymo’s very hard work and pretty crap to keep going in a straight line.

I currently use a Bosch electric thing is it better than others, havent got a clue, but its not as hard work as the Flymo.

If you want stripes you need to get a traditional style one with a big heavy roller on the back. If the garden is perfectly flat, sqaure or rectangular they are easy enough to use, if not a real pain.

People I know who have power mowers are always at some point struggling to get them going…

Electric is good because it makes a very loud bang when you cut through the cable. (well at least it did when my brother cut through his)

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Honda Izy replica was £80 from B&Q – it even refers you to the Honda workshop manual. Normally I’m not a fan of Chinese motors but……..

Obviously nowhere near the quality though has done two years with no problem.

donsimon
    Free Member

Get to your local HSS Hire shop, see what they’re using, buy one of those. If they’re tough enough to withstand the abuse of customers, they must be ok.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Unintentional repost

beanieripper
    Free Member

Our garden is pretty big, 90ft x 80 ft rear and about the same at the front. TBH i should have probably got a petrol but we have just got a Bosch Rotak 40 and I cant speak highly enough of it, £140 quid very well spent. Light, easy to push and leaves the lawn with nice stripes..

stumpyjon

That’s what I got, a Bosch Rotak 40, looks like I made good decision after all.

flip
    Free Member

I use mine everyday this time of year for my job, it’s never let me down…

Except when i flooded it 😥

Honda IZY all the way, in fact Honda full stop.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Honda izy here as well

I don’t have that big a garden but it is hilly.

The Izy makes short work of it.

Davesport

10 Yr old Izy (Yawn) here & still going as good as the day I bought it. By way of contrast, next door bought one of the Honda powered copies 5 years back. He’s just given it to me as the deck has corroded where the handle “used” to attach. The prime mover’s still in top nick though.

Can’t go wrong with a Honda IMO.

D.

timber

ebay Honda
    Got mine for £10, Its an HR173 if that makes any difference to you, most importantly though, it has an injection moulded plastic deck (no rusting through), old contractors favourite and was a runner.

If you’re a bit mechanically minded, most skip mowers are fixable, just neglected. Have pop rivetted bits of microwave casing to patch holes in a deck and often engines just need a lube and run.

toys19
    Free Member

I bought a champion petrol mower from focus diy 6 years ago. Its great. Never failed and spares easy to get.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What lawnmower?’ is closed to new replies.