• This topic has 97 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • What knee pads for XC?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Quick question.

I ride with 661 Kyle Straits when I’m jumping/riding downhill etc.

I would like to get some less bulky pads for when I’m doing a spot of XC/riding involving pedalling uphill. Will be worn with baggies.

Cheaper the better.

Ta, Duane.

(If anyone has anything suitable for sale, please say!)

ruscle
    Free Member

I can’t see that knee pads would be required with xc riding!? but I think the G-form pads fit your bill.

singletracksurfer

sign up to What MTB magazine and get some free Endura MT500 knee pads http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/wmbp1l/

or see http://www.g-formuk.com/products/knee-pads.html

donsimon
    Free Member

All my riding is XC and I wouldn’t dream of wearing pads, come to think of it I wouldn’t be seen dead wearing baggies on a XC bike either. All that extra fabric flapping around would just slow me down. 😆

thebunk

Liking my Enduras. The G-Forms look like good value though.

z1ppy

G-form (in black) seemingly fit the bill perfectly.

Ruscle, the idea that a simple tumble may bash your knee on even an XC ride never occur to you? A bunch of my m8 are self employed and the chance of crashing & leaving them with no income makes them very very cautious…

wwaswas

POC’s have been doing me fine for xc duties for the past 2 years.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

these:

Troy Lee KG 5400

I wore them for four days over that very hot weekend with no issues or slipping.

I can’t see that knee pads would be required with xc riding!?

you can fall off at any speed and crack your knee.

xiphon
    Free Member

LOL @ needing pads for ‘xc’ riding.

How about a massive amount of cotton wool?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

MTFU pads are good.

🙂

Duane…
    Free Member

Just cos you lot ride like pansies doesn’t mean everyone does 🙂

When I say XC, I mean riding which involves riding uphill, not pushing up. Not boring sloggy rides across fields and swamps.

wwaswas

having been off my bike for 3 months as the result of a knee injury following an innocuous off on the sdw I chose to wear pads. I don’t always like it but the alternative was, for me, worse.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

LOL at stupid comments like this…

donsimon
    Free Member

When I say XC, I mean riding which involves riding uphill, not pushing up. Not boring sloggy rides across fields and swamps.

Like Llandegla black, only a bit more technical? 😛

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Duane – Serious Q, why do you need pads riding uphill ?? I can see downhill but uphill, why ?

flyingmonkeycorps

Having seen Duane ride on XC trails, I can entirely see why he would wish to wear knee pads. Rocks are just as pointy and hard wherever you fall.

**edit** What’s the sizing like on the Endura pads? I have a very tired pair of Kyle Straits in medium that fit perfectly, quite fancy the Enduras as an upgrade but I can’t try them on!

thebunk

why do you need pads riding uphill?

Because what goes up must come down…?

xiphon
    Free Member

Just bought one of these for ‘Hit The North’….. 🙄

Seriously, what did people wear before these ultra-light pads came along? Have the trails got that dangerous?

z1ppy

sad that so many posts on here end up being: “I’m ‘arder than you” 😳

flyingmonkeycorps

Er, trails are much the same, but lighter, more capable bikes mean they can be ridden much faster.

But that’s irrelevant. We all choose a level of protection we feel is appropriate. That may vary from nothing whatsoever to full body armour, regardless of the level of actual or perceived peril.

I wear knee pads for XC. Rocks are pointy, I fall off and I like my knees.

ruscle
    Free Member

Trail riding with rocks and roots I can see why you want pads but on smooth xc courses, no. As said the G-form would fit the bill and can be had in all black just follow the link:

http://www.g-formuk.com/products/knee-pads.html

I tried getting some of the Troy Lee KG5400 but none seem to be coming into the country at the moment.

I do see the point of pads, never used them my self but I’m in the process of getting some G-forms as old age is creeping up and every fall takes longer to recover from!

justatheory
    Free Member

I was in the Peaks on Saturday, took a tumble and bashed my knee on a rock, it needed 5 stitches, which I’m sure would’ve been prevented with knee pads. I like riding fast downhill, so I’m swallowing my pride and wearing pads from now on.

I’ve signed up for a years subscription to What MTB mag and got a pair of Endura MT500 for free, which aren’t bulky and pretty comfy.

donsimon
    Free Member

Just bought one of these for ‘Hit The North’….

A toyboy? 😯

sad that so many posts on here end up being: “I’m ‘arder than you”

Are any of the above posts serious “I’m ‘arder than you” posts or are they just “gently poking fun” posts?

Do you do the “inverted comma” thing in real life with your fingers when you’re “talking”?

Paceman
    Free Member

It’s like judgement day on here today… give the guy a break, if he wants to wear pads thats fine, it doesn’t hurt anyone else.

POC ones might be worth a look, although I suspect most of the lighter knee pads aren’t disimilar to your Kyle Straits.

thebunk

Does no-one else ever fall off when speeding along a rocky rooty trail section then? No-one ever had an over the bars on a natural rock feature?

Accidents happen, and knees are pretty complicated to fix properly. Doesn’t seem like a completely ridiculous idea, once you’re past your invincible teenager years.

Though maybe XC to some people means riding well within your limits on your six inch “Trail Machine” on a tow paths?

Yeah, I used quotes DS. Have some.

flyingmonkeycorps

But anyway. How does the sizing of the Enduras / Ninja Turtle pads compare to Kyle Straits?

And speaking of Turtles:

http://teenagemutantninjanoses.tumblr.com/

passtherizla
    Free Member

just use the kyle straits… i wear mine for pretty much everything unless I’m out riding in the local park with the good lady.

justatheory
    Free Member

If you ride regularly in the peaks, you will come off eventually. I don’t see anything wrong with a bit of insurance, especially after my recent experience. The way I ride I exect I’ll crash again, so I might as well be protected.

Can’t comment on the Kyle’s but the Endura fit me nicely and I’m 6,3″ and 90kg, fairly standard build.

donsimon
    Free Member

Yeah, I used quotes DS. Have some.

“Have some” what? Is that some kind of “threat”? ” 😛 ”

sheffield43
    Free Member

I also use the Kyle Straits for Peaks and the like.

votchy
    Free Member

Pity the OP hasn’t had much help here, who cares what he rides, where he rides, what he wears to ride in, I have used Kyle Straits for what I term XC, however, my XC may be anothers trail riding or all mountain riding, why not just answer the question instead of ‘willy waving’

thebunk

“Yes”, it was a threat. You can’t hurt me, I’ve got Endura MT500s AND a helmet on.

(‘dammit, put them in the wrong place’).

Oh, and to get back to the OP – you have to try some on! No point getting cheap ones if they aren’t comfy. The aforesaid Enduras are great but seem to size up small, though that might be my tree trunk type legs.

DS, did I mention my tree trunk type legs? Bet your scared now.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

old age is creeping up and every fall takes longer to recover from!

precisely.

No-one ever fallen off trying to get up a very steep and rocky section ?

What about other hazards, like off-camber rooty sections – why wouldn’t you find these on an xc route?

donsimon
    Free Member

” 😆 ”

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Troy Lee KG 5400 from ebay US seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TROY-LEE-DESIGNS-SD-KG-5400-KNEE-GUARDS-MEDIUM-M-/130524399069?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item1e63dc45dd

only going to work out to be a few quid more than chainreaction.

Paceman
    Free Member

Pity the OP hasn’t had much help here, who cares what he rides, where he rides, what he wears to ride in, I have used Kyle Straits for what I term XC, however, my XC may be anothers trail riding or all mountain riding, why not just answer the question instead of ‘willy waving’

+1 😀

Too many people trying to tell us how GGrrrrrr they are 😉

Duane…
    Free Member

Do I look silly ‘cos I have knee pads on while riding XC?

(As seen in this months MBR 😀 )

wwaswas

no, but you do look silly for not being able to post an image first try 😉

Duane…
    Free Member

Shush you 😛

traildog
    Free Member

A helmet as well. Why would you wear a helmet when riding XC?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘What knee pads for XC?’ is closed to new replies.