Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What is XC? I'd appreciate a definition.
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

As above really.

Thanks

DS

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dunno, but on here it seems to pass for freeride dude*

* sarcasm intended

cullen-bay
    Free Member

what type of XC? Gnarlcore-lite-extreme XC or just plain XC-softcore-jeyboy XC?

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

It's somewhere between darkside and jeycore lite i think.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Aggressive XC, that's a funny one. Is that where you headbutt all the rocks and trees and stuff? Or do you just ride like a pissed of knob and swear at folk as you pass?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

XC = riding arround Swinley at an average of 13-15mph on 18-22lb hardtails

Freeride = riding arround Swinley at 6-7mph on a 30lb 6-7" travel bike.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Very good TINAS

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Riding up, across, and down the open country, off road, on an off-road bike. Descretising your experience of existence is bit old-hat really – the universe is a continuum.

allthepies
    Free Member

It's all XC 🙂

james
    Free Member

It depends on how many riding definitions you are 'recognising'

If the only riding sub genres are Cross Country and Downhill/Freeride (plus BMX, road, CX, DJ etc etc) then Cross Country would seem* to be anything that involves riding up hills on an 'MTB'

If you 'recognice' many other marketing sub genres and it breaks down something like: XC, Trail, All mountain, Freeride, Downhill (+ others mentioned previously) then in that order it seems to correalate to how well the bike will go up and downhill

then XC would seem* to include XC racing, XC endurance racing, trail centre/'natural' trails that don't include any/many (bigger) 'technical trail features'/jumps/drops/'northshore'/etc ..

All mountain I thought was supposed to be bikes that will ride up pretty much any mountain uphill and down pretty much any mountain downhill. In practice it seems to used on bikes that will just about winch up a fireroad and handle the downhills much much better than the ups

Trail would seem* to be some kind of middle ground between XC and all mountain and freeride and downhill, basically XC trails with (some/more) 'technical trail features' and (some/more) bigger jumps/drops/'northshore'/etc ..

*this is just my interpretation of many different 'definitions' and sub genres

oldgit
    Free Member

XC=200BPM/Min

GW
    Free Member

I still call every off-road ride that has a climb in it XC, all these new genres are all just XC trying to be cool

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup – its all cross country unless its DH – which is done on a bike you can't ride uphill.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

+1 GW

GW
    Free Member

TJ, dirt jumping isn't XC either 😉

Drac

Yup GW pretty much covers it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

best one i heard was someone looking for a commuter for the 20mile road commute 'and a little bit of 'street", WTF?

_tom_
    Free Member

If it involves off road miles and climbs then I'd call it XC! For me, "aggressive xc" means long miles/climbs with more hardcore downhills, possibly involving small jumps or drops. Big drops and jumps = downhill or DJ 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough GW.

glenh
    Free Member

XC=200BPM/Min

That's some good heart rate acceleration

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It doesn't matter.

james
    Free Member

I think aggressive XC was used for long travel 'beefier' bikes (that wouldn't really ride up any mountain like an all mountain bike would), or at least thats what What Mountain Bike used it for, so trail/freeride bikes

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

its odd, WC Xc courses often use the 4X courses as the finish, yet the 'aggressive XC' crowd bottle at the sight of a dropped curb.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What is XC? I'd appreciate a definition.’ is closed to new replies.