Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)
  • What is so wrong with Human Rights?
  • GrahamS

The European Convention on Human Rights all seems like fairly cool stuff:

So can someone explain why Tories are so keen for us abolish it? Which bit do they object to?

I know they got a bit upset when they weren’t allowed to have compulsory ID cards or indefinitely store the fingerprints and DNA of innocent people.

But is that really a good reason to join Belarus, the last dictatorship in Europe, as the the only country not signed up to the European Human Rights Convention?

bencooper
    Free Member

They’re not means tested.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Those pesky foreigners wont let us be mean to our own citizens…the bastards

athgray
    Free Member

Well raised GrahamS. How many people have benefitted from this? Sadly, the likes of the Daily Fail, only raise it when mentioning the likes of Abu Hamza.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The notion that the nasties want to abolish this makes me very, very angry indeed.

Remember that they’ve a small majority and I daresay they won’t get every right-wing mentalist legislation change passed.

grum
    Free Member

Human rights are only needed by terrorists, are you a terrorist? Sounds a bit like it TBH.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The brain dead pond life that think it needs abolishing should be deported to one of the lovely countries that doesn’t have/regularly flouts these rights, to see what fun times it can be for people at the wrong end of state abuse these rights protect against.

Britain has been there and done it, we moved on long ago.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The perceived problems are the one in a million cases where “perceived common sense” doesn’t seem to apply. Deporting people seems to be the main one, also prisoners voting (may be to do with the prison locations and marginal seats though) makes lots of right wing headlines but not much else, to get round this would allow many more bad things unfortunately.

timba
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with the Act IMHO, it’s the interpretation that the rights of one person can outweigh the rights of the many

Is it right that one anti-social person can invoke the act to the detriment of their victims and justice (all of which may be in another country)?
    Let’s not forget the enormous cost of the process to the general population (through taxes) in both countries

(…opens up a whole debate on judicial systems in other countries and the price of justice 😳 )

deviant
    Free Member

Timba gets it.

The act is fine, the interpretation by well meaning but brain dead academics in the judicial system can be farcical.

As Timba said, when a scumbag can invoke his ‘human rights’ to the detriment of the victim, the cost to the tax payer and as a nice triple whammy seemingly be at odds with common sense then it seems sensible to give it an overhaul.

We don’t need it and could instead draw up a UK style constitution or bill of rights instead….the better informed may be able to correct me on this but didn’t the UK have common law, Magna Carta etc which covered an awful lot of what the EU human rights duplicates?

It’s a cliche now but at one point (maybe still now?) the British justice system was the envy of the world for its fairness and equality, that sentiment predates the EU and didn’t evaporate on joining up, Jesus we don’t give ourselves enough credit most of the time!….whatever did we do before the EU was there to hold our hand?! FFS

cloudnine
    Free Member

The human rights scrapping is a probably a diversionary tactic from some other severe cuts in social care or some other privatisation bill.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The act is fine, the interpretation by well meaning but brain dead academics in the judicial system can be farcical.

As Timba said, when a scumbag can invoke his ‘human rights’ to the detriment of the victim,
    I’d like to see one written with a Scumbag exclusion clause, problem is you then have to define scumbag and what a scumbag is and how scummy the scumbag is. One of those problems when you write down rules.

GrahamS

the better informed may be able to correct me on this but didn’t the UK have common law, Magna Carta etc which covered an awful lot of what the EU human rights duplicates?

Yes we did, and that’s one of the reasons that we were founder members of the European Convention on Human Rights Act, lead by David Maxwell-Fyfe a British Conservate MP ironically enough.

the British justice system was the envy of the world for its fairness and equality, that sentiment predates the EU

Then why did the ECHR have to step in on matters such as compulsory ID cards, detainment without trial, indefinite storage of fingerprints and DNA of innocent people, and the rights of homosexuals?

MSP

Do you mean educated experienced legal professionals (like judges) who disagree with you? Thats the thing really the opposition to the act is based on a fantasy that it creates some kind of terrorist/criminal utopia.

My biggest problem with it is that article 8 has not been implemented any where near strongly enough. The right to privacy in the digital age has been completely brushed aside, partly by knee jerk Government agency data collections, but mainly by commercial use of private data.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Are the Tories getting rid of the HRA which is UK legislation, or are they refusing to be bound by the European Convention on Human Rights?

tmb467
    Free Member

They want to amend the HRA but can’t really without breaking away from EHRC. As I see it, if they reject EHRC then we’d have to leave EU (another of their fine plans)

And as for “educated experienced professionals” – I work with some of those (albeit not in the legal sense) and a lot of them don’t really understand how to relate to reality. Principles and policies are all well and good to guide but i don’t see much difference between someone who lives their lives based on 200 yr old written laws and fundamental religionists who interpret good from evil by reading a 2000yr old book

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

The Act just allows domestic courts to apply the convention–we still have a right to individual petition. So if you want to assert a right you will have to schlep over to Strasbourg. If the tories want to try to renege on its international obligations altogether they’ll have to withdraw from the convention. So the UK will have to leave the Council of Europe (of which the Uk was a founding member–Google ‘churchill’ and ‘place kleber’). So the UK will be the only member of the EU that isn’t also a member of the CoE and a signatory to the convention (o and the the EU as an entity’s accession to the convention is a looong standing work in progress–I assume if that happens the tories will have us leave the EU too). Tbh the convention norms are so established that on an international level the UK is probably bound under customary international law anyway.
    https://paulbernal.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/withdrawal-from-the-echr-a-venn-diagram/

footflaps

It will be great PR for dictators everywhere, next time the West chastises them for stringing people up without trial they just say that the UK binned Human Rights…..

Utterly shameful if we bin the EHRC.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

It needs updating not abolishing.

MSP

And as for “educated experienced professionals” – I work with some of those (albeit not in the legal sense) and a lot of them don’t really understand how to relate to reality. Principles and policies are all well and good to guide but i don’t see much difference between someone who lives their lives based on 200 yr old written laws and fundamental religionists who interpret good from evil by reading a 2000yr old book

They are Judges, who’s job is to deal with criminal law on a daily basis.

Can anyone explain where these fantasy academics and theists come into the application of the human rights convention? Other than in some peoples imagination.

Which part of it would you update? I mean of the real thing, not the bullshit imaginary version that the daily mail gets all frothy about.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

It’s just another step on the road to becoming an absolute laughing stock on the international stage

Why? As the ECtHR says on a regular basis, the convention is ‘a living instrument which … must be interpreted in the light of present-day conditions’. The UK falls often foul of the convention because its practices are way behind developments in other member states.

epicyclo

Maybe Human Rights interferes with the commercial rights of the non-dom billionaire owners of the the UK media who sponsor the Tory party?

binners

Isn’t it something to do with straight bananas?

lunge

Human rights acts are always going to be unpopular with “The Masses” as they are not there to protect them, they are there to protect a minority of people who need it. It’s one of those policies that shows strong government as they need to say “I know a lot of you don’t like this but this is why it’s here to stay and why it’s important”. Sadly, no current party has the strength to do this.

MoreCashThanDash

Timba plus one.

Anything written down is open to interpretation, and lawyers earn a fortune arguing any vagueness left by incompetent legislators.

All laws should cone with coomon sense and common good clause.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ad hom and not even an accurate one.

As Timba said, when a scumbag can invoke his ‘human rights’ to the detriment of the victim, the cost to the tax payer and as a nice triple whammy seemingly be at odds with common sense then it seems sensible to give it an overhaul.

Ah the Daily Mail argument Can you cite examples where this happens ? ie the scumbag gets more rights than the victim or does better out of it that the victim?

We don’t need it and could instead draw up a UK style constitution or bill of rights instead

Which is of curse any govt could then re write when they are found to not be obeying it. We lose a check and balance on what govt can do to us. There will be no check to their power and this is not a good thing.[ narrowly avoids a goodwin]
    ….

the better informed may be able to correct me on this but didn’t the UK have common law, Magna Carta* etc which covered an awful lot of what the EU human rights duplicates?

Well as we were at the forefront of drafting and the leadt person was British then yes. The real question is why we cannot live by stnadards we woucl in 1950
    Its not the EU its seperate from the EU

It’s a cliche now but at one point (maybe still now?) the British justice system was the envy of the world for its fairness and equality, that sentiment predates the EU and didn’t evaporate on joining up, Jesus we don’t give ourselves enough credit most of the time!….whatever did we do before the EU was there to hold our hand?! FFS

That statement is so full of wrong its embarrassing.
    Indeed and when it was the envy of the world [ jingoistic pish tbh] we gave Europe the human rights acts which we signed way before we joined the EU . Could you at least read up on the thing you are criticising ?.

Do you really think unilaterally withdrawing will some how increase our prestige in the eyes of the world?

This is the problem we have to debate emotive uniformed and inaccurate DM style frothing like this as the RW press has blamed everything in Human rights…the rights we helped form and give to Europe that we now cannot live by

Its embarrassing for the nation tbh that “informed” views like that are winning out

*I would read up on the Magna carta as I doubt you are a noble man needing your relationship with the monarch formalised. It was not about ordinary folk on their rights.

I would read up on that as well as you dont seem to know what that was about either

saxabar
    Free Member

Which bit do they object to?

I don’t think they object to any of the articles in their entirety, but inconvenient parts of many. Article 8 and Snoopers Charter stands out for me. How the f*** we have let people believe that dragnet surveillance is a useful and resource efficient way of catching bad folk is beyond me.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Would its removal ease the passage of TTIP?

mogrim

I know they got a bit upset when they weren’t allowed to have compulsory ID cards or indefinitely store the fingerprints and DNA of innocent people.

I’m not sure the EHRC stops ID cards, after all most of Europe have them. They were stopped more by public outrage.

Anyway Junkyard +100.

munrobiker
    Free Member

There are some daft examples of the Convention being used in ways that are not popular with the public. However the whole point of the Convention is that it needs to be completely watertight- these laws need to apply to everyone, no exceptions. If you start making exceptions in particularly nasty cases you then have a precedent set which may be used in cases where generally vulnerable people need help. It is also the sign of a bigger man if you can go “I know you are nasty, but we will not be so barbaric as to stoop to your level”.

The Convention helps people who are vulnerable most of the time, with some examples of it being exploited, and it will help more people than you could ever imagine. Speaking from my point of view I am one of a large number of people married to a non-EU citizen who is currently holding out for the success of a case brought by Marianne Bailey.

The delightful government that has just been voted in changed the rules on non-EU spouses during their last term and decided that if a British citizen has non-EU family and earns less than £18,000 a year then they waive their right to family life and a visa will not be granted, regardless of any other circumstances. If I lost my job tomorrow then my wife’s next visa application would not be granted, despite us being married for nearly 3 years and her having lived here for 8 years. Bailey is in a situation where she technically doesn’t meet the criteria (she is self employed and makes a second income from rents) and her husband was due to be deported a few weeks before the birth of their child. She has gone to the courts to appeal this and the judges decided that the rules broke the Convention. The government appealed, and won, and now Bailey is heading for the European Human Rights Court, and will likely win.

The Convention is there so vulnerable people are not picked on, and it keeps governments in check. If you have a government that sacks it off and self regulates then they can effectively do what they want, and that will lead to a lot of people not having their rights upheld.

It’s a good thing, and I can’t see how you could think otherwise.

jonba
    Free Member

The reasoning and planning is laid out in this document

https://www.conservatives.com/~/media/files/downloadable%20Files/human_rights.pdf

nuke

Timba has it. Nothing wrong with the act but overtime through judgments/caselaw the interpretation has been diluted particularly under, imo, Article 8

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m not sure the EHRC stops ID cards, after all most of Europe have them. They were stopped more by public outrage.

They were stopped because Labour lost the election, otherwise they were a done deal.

We invented human rights and made the Europeans sign up to them as they clearly had no idea what the hell they might be. Unfortunately we put the Europeans in charge of them and they still don’t understand them.

jonba
    Free Member

It would seem from a brief skim that they do not disagree with the convention itself but the implementation and scope creep from the EU courts.

I’m not sure what the implications will be but I await the usual suspects to put on the tin foil hats and tell us we’ll all be barcoded and in gulags b the end of the month.

munrobiker
    Free Member

the interpretation has been diluted particularly under, for me, Article 8

How? Why don’t people have a right to family life? Can you imagine if the government came to your door tomorrow and said “you don’t earn this much money, so your wife has to leave”? Can you really, honestly say that having an outside body stopping families from being ripped apart is a bad thing?

jonba
    Free Member

😆

MSP

What is so funny jonba? I take it you find reading difficult and failed to see how munrobikers statement directly related to his life.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

All laws should cone with coomon sense and common good clause.

AND a set of John Wayne commemorative wall plates.

Although maybe you shouldn’t draft them.

fin25
    Free Member

Can anyone using the “common sense” argument please give examples of when the HRA has been misinterpreted?

Just because you don’t understand why a court has reached the decision it has doesn’t mean that their decision is wrong.

Just because the HRA is cited when decisions you don’t understand are reported to you by journalists who also do not understand them, it doesn’t make the HRA wrong, or out of date or liberal hogwash or whatever.

What is common sense, anyway?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The revised version

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘What is so wrong with Human Rights?’ is closed to new replies.