Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What is it with jeans?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

They seem to grow to untold proportions within a few weeks of buying them. Jeans you could only just squeeze into in the shop (bought small on purpose cos they auto grow) rapidly acquire immense proportions. I have got used to waist bands getting to be 4 inches too big 34″ becomes 38″+ etc but I bought 2 pairs from Next a while ago. Both seemingly identical. The first pair were content with the old waist band trick while the second thought this is stuff for amateurs. They have grown 3 or 4 inches round the middle AND they have got longer both in the leg and the the body. I now have a pair of jeans that fall off if I don’t use a belt to scrunch them up, the legs are too long so they flap about under my heel and the “body” of the trousers is now so big it reaches higher than my belly button whereas once it sat on my hips.

it doesn’t matter how much or how little i seem to spend, the result is always the same. Can’t anyone make a stable denim any more?

Grumble over……

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elasticated waist? 😯

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Never noticed that with any of the Diesel jeans I’ve bought, ever.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

slowjo is frickin Simon Cowell !!!!!! 😮

steve-g
    Free Member

tumble dry them on high for a day, problem solved

cynic-al
    Free Member

Erm never had this with any jeans, I usually buy TKMAxx’s finest.

flyingmonkeycorps

Never had this with any jeans either, last ones I bought were Alpkit ones…

Ewok
    Free Member

Jeans do grow in size a little with wear, have you tried washing them?

Always returns them to the size i’ve bought.

maybe you’ve lost weight and not realised.

uplink
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed it either

slowjo
    Free Member

It must be me then. I have tried cheapies and expensive ones but they all end up the same. They get washed regularly Ewok 🙂 The days of being a smelly student are decades behind me.

I’ll have a go with Alpkit and Diesel next then and see if it happens again.

hels
    Free Member

Depends on the fabric, cheapies seem to have more stretch in the denim. Levis grow to fit and stay there.

rossrobot
    Free Member

+1 for Diesel. Great, unfussy jeans.

bazzer
    Free Member

Another +1 for Diesel jeans.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Howies 30″ waist for me – never any issues. Think I have about 5 pairs now. Perfect fit, last ages.

Their Towpaths (waterproof cotton) are great too.

martinxyz
    Free Member

try a pair of levi 47 rodeo hero jeans.washed and shrunk quality denim.you will pay a lot more than next denim but it might be the answer.
    ive got a few pairs of next jeans and the last pair have ripped open at the groin within a month (denim seemed to just fail and shred in a big way) and the fit wasnt great either. but thats my problem, i shouldnt have bought them!

pjt201
    Free Member

get some selvedge denim jeans and then you’re not supposed to wash them so that wouldn’t happen…

slowjo
    Free Member

ive got a few pairs of next jeans and the last pair have ripped open at the groin within a month (denim seemed to just fail and shred in a big way) and the fit wasnt great either.

Interesting. The fit on my Next jeans was initially pretty good (I didn’t buy these ones too small to let them grow) but they just expanded like mad. Within a month or two the fabric just started to disintegrate on one pair and the legs are now full of holes where the material has just “evaporated”.

Never again as far as Next are concerned.

CountZero

I’ve got several pairs of Oakley and Howies denims and while there’s a degree of stretch I’ve never ever had issues with them stretching very much. I always try to get them when there’s a sale on, too.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

All jeans do this after a week or so, but good denim will snap back into shape after a wash/iron.

I favour Levi’s 501/506 for regular or Volcom for a looser cut.

donsimon
    Free Member

but good denim will snap back into shape after a wash/iron.

Iron? You iron jeans??? Do you find you eventualy get a white line where the crease used to be??? 😉

br
    Free Member

Surfmat said:

Howies 30″ waist for me – never any issues. Think I have about 5 pairs now. Perfect fit, last ages.

http://www.howies.co.uk/section.php/11/0?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=howies%20jeans&utm_campaign=howies%20jeans&utm_content=1

How much…, no wonder you can’t afford to buy a house!

Cougar

Oddly, I’ve had the opposite problem.

I’ve worn everything from Tesco Value(*) jeans to 501’s to designer, and they all seem a little tight directly after washing. It has to be the way you’re washing them.

(* – far better than they’ve any right to be, incidentally)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Maybe it was wind?

I get terrible wind from time to time. Does cause my lower abdomen to swell somewhat.

Cougar

(or rather, the way we’re washing them)

Tinners

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else find that 501s are tight around the thighs for cyclists? I can barely get 501s over my thighs and the seams are at bursting point when I squat, even though the waist fits. I don’t have that problem with any other trousers.

project
    Free Member

Why does anyone under 24 have to wear their jeans half way down their arse, and builders over 35 the same.

philsimm
    Free Member

Slowjo – give Nudie dry denim jeans a try. Great quality /fit denim and seems to fit exactly to (my) size. They do start off slightly tight but tend to grow out once worn for a bit and stay that way without ever going baggy. Also your meant to wear them for 6 months before washing them to give them that unique patina in the denim.
    Linky Here

jools182
    Free Member

Levis and diesel are the way forward

last years

tony24
    Free Member

another vote foe levis

timc
    Free Member

+1 for Nudie Jeans, wear them to work most days!

Personally dont like dry denim, end up with blue die all over you shoes, hands etc, crap! normal denim are boss!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Also your meant to wear them for 6 months before washing them to give them that unique patina in the denim.

What, scummy greasiness? Nasty.

bikebore
    Free Member

Gas Jeans. Pricey, but they’re the bollocks.

philsimm
    Free Member

Never had any dye coming off on hands or owt Tim, only when cleaning bit of localised grime off and the indigo comes off. Elfin, some people swear by putting their jeans in the freezer to kill off any nasty bacteria etc, using Fabreze or sticking them on the line overnight to “air”

CountZero

b r, ever looked at the price of quality denim jeans? £85 is about average. Try looking through any magazine featuring women’s fashions. A pair of jeans with some swanky name go for £180+. Howies are pretty reasonable, the selvedge ones are about average for selvedge denims. Last pair of Howies I bought in their shop were 20% off, previous two pairs were £30/pair in a clearance sale in Bath. You don’t have to pay full price if you’re paying attention.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Are you sure it is the jeans growing? Have you been overcome with a need to write the theme tune and sing the theme tune recently? Are you finding it more difficult to get up onto chairs? Do ice-creams seem much bigger than they used to?

samuri
    Free Member

I think the problem is, fashion. Clearly.

Young whipper snappers like my son, have adopted being ridiculously skinny as the fashion. Hence, jeans becaome fashioned for ridiculously skinny people. Sadly middle aged people aren’t built that way. Some people are fat biffers, other older people (like me), are dead butch, have narrow waists and dirty great muscley arses and legs. Lets get this straight, we have MUSCLES!!!, NOT FAT! Legs and arses.

So the industry builds stupid jeans that look stupid on everyone, especially the people who make up the majority of the population, us. Which make sthe fashion industry ****, like the marketing and diet and sock industries.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elfin, some people swear by putting their jeans in the freezer to kill off any nasty bacteria etc, using Fabreze or sticking them on the line overnight to “air”

The dirty bastards.

Not washing your jeans for six months? That’s disgusting.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve worn everything from Paul Smiths finest (in my foppish youth)… through Carhartt Workwear (courtesy of a generous and fashionable young girlfriend in my confident late 20s)… to Peacocks sale rail (in my middle aged financial reality)… and have never suffered from this problem…

user error for sure unless Next are a part of Bush’s axis of evil..?

Kahurangi

have narrow waists and dirty great muscley arses and legs. Lets get this straight, we have MUSCLES!!!, NOT FAT! Legs and arses.

I have to buy baggy jeans for this very reason. Get me.

slowjo – you are an OAP, AICMFP

palmer77
    Free Member

+1 for Alpkit Epic water resistant and currently only £30.00 delivered for the Regular Joe and Slim Jim!

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16387&category_id=298

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What is it with jeans?’ is closed to new replies.