• This topic has 95 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by tron.
Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • What is going on with Jack Straw?
  • binners

Fred. I’m just saying that the difference in attitude demonstrated, when embracing western culture, is breathtaking in its extreme’s

The blokes embrace it to an outrageous degree. Flaunting the cars, designer labels. I suspect this isn’t just a surface image, and that these guys get up to some behavior Allah wouldn’t necessarily smile upon.

Yet they expect the female half of the population to reject consumerism and sexualisation utterly and completely.

This is just misogyny on an absolutely epic scale

Oh… and on the Jack Straw issue: for some reason he always comes and visits a family in the next street. I’ll say hello to everyone when I see him next. He’ll be made up us lot are discussing him 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Massive assumptions being made here and stereotyping without any knowledge or evidence.

How on earth do you know that the lads with the bling motors treat their wives so badly? Do you know that they are married? Can you tell a muslim from an agnostic from a christian by looking at them?

Really – what a load of ignorant piffle ( not aimed particularly at you binners but at many of the posters)

Asian men are not all muslim, those that embrace the bling culture are unlikely to be devout muslims, not all muslims are misogynists.

Its like say all white boys are lager swilling football louts.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Binners; I agree. And so do loads of the older folk. It sometimes seems that an entire generation is being lost to decadent Western consumer culture. 🙁 I think there’s a lot of ‘overcompensation’ and rebellion going on with some young Asian men. But they’re careful at playing the ‘good Muslim boy’ game, because they know it serves themselves to appear to conform.

Things do need to change. Things are changing. Many Asian people need to try to become more integrated into British society, to become British, not simply remain as a minority. But likewise, British society must change and adapt to new members. Those who don’t agree with this, well, sod ’em, I say. Dinosaurs will wallow in the mud, and get stuck and die out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

Elfin, it’s obviously an observation made by others also.

You draw comparisons, yet when I turn them round on you I’m clutching at straws. Your arguments suit your own personal agenda.

Of course I’m aware there are very few coloured MTB’ers, but I don’t make a marked observation when I do see one.

Fast cars however are an object of desire and draw attention – it’s only natural to look at the driver and it’s a common observation that in cities the 20-30yr old demographic are predominately represented by Asian drivers – FACT.

binners

Tj. I know this because i see it when i walk through my front door every day. Played out in the street I live in. I’ve lived in a predominantly Asian community for years. *CLICHE ALERT* I regard some of them as friends, but find the way they treat their wives very uncomfortable at times.

Where is it your ivory tower is located exactly?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Of course I’m aware there are very few coloured MTB’ers

The 70’s was a good era for design and stuff:

So now I’m chastised for using the word ‘coloured’?

This word was used as not to make a distinction between yellow, black, or ‘brown’ as is your choice of word to describe skin colour tonight.

chewkw
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

And so do loads of the older folk. It sometimes seems that an entire generation is being lost to decadent Western consumer culture.

That is the problem by assuming Western decadent consumer culture. i.e. They have not integrated.

So when they try to revert back to their conservative root there is always the danger that they might fall into the more extreme views of living in a “foreign” society.

Things do need to change. Many Asian people need to try to become more integrated into British society, to become British, not simply remain as a minority.

Unless they have totally uprooted themselves from their ancestral land for several generations the hurdles remain.

But likewise, British society must change and adapt to new members. Those who don’t agree with this, well, sod ’em, I say. Dinosaurs will wallow in the mud, and get stuck and die out.

They already have. London is already a tourist city …

They even bend their back with no spine to accommodate all …

binners

OI FRED! How did you get pictures of my boudoire? Did Hora give ’em to you? Have you got the ones of my phallus-shaped swimming pool too?

Junkyard
    Free Member

well to be fair it is a very old 70’s term used for people who were non white …granted it is not as offensive as non white and some people argue it is not offensive but just ignorant
    Everyone knows the term is BME now – black minority Ethnic. No race in the UK would describe themselves as coloured hence why it is not used as a term for describing people as no one considers themselves to be coloured.

these guys get up to some behavior Allah wouldn’t necessarily smile upon

Next you will be saying that some christians dont really follow their religion that well.
    Re Women there was an excellent programme on this on Channel 4 iirc that showed how both communities think the other community opress women. to many Muslims the dress of say Jordan – wow the freedom to have plastic surgery and artificial boobs how respectful – and the way she dresses behaves to objectify herself for the attention of men [ and for money] is a little oppressive and exploitative.
    To us their women folk seem opressed into dress codes and being the lesser part of a society that is patriarchial.
    Any anthropologist will tell you that you cannot judge another culture by your standards as it will always seem poorer – theirs to our and ours to them.

druidh
    Free Member

binners – Member
    OI FRED! How did you get pictures of my boudoire? Did Hora give ’em to you? Have you got the ones of my phallus-shaped swimming pool too?

That’s weird…….

I have a swimming-pool shaped phallus.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

In the interests of cultural enlightenment, I’ll just say that such a term is very outdated, and not considered acceptable as a descriptive term these days. Hence the 70s reference. If you are suggesting that ‘non-White’ people are ‘Coloured’, then doesn’t that then lump all ‘non-White’ people in together as some sort of single homogenised group? It’s a term that was used by White people to describe other ethnic groups, but it makes no recognition of the diversity of their ethnicities. It also has negative connotations with the Apartheid regime of South Africa.

This word was used as not to make a distinction between yellow, black, or ‘brown’ as is your choice of word to describe skin colour tonight.

I do not wish to be described as ‘coloured’. Brown, I’m ok with, as I use this term to describe myself. I’m not sure if other Asian people would agree, however.

Again, I think the term ‘Yellow’ to describe people of Oriental origin is no longer in vogue. Again, it’s a word used by others, without consideration for those it actually described. Words are funny things sometimes. They can be completely innocuous by themselves, but very powerful within particular contexts.

Mugboo

`Please don’t crucify me for this.

I watched a Kiwi comedian at the Beehive in Bradford. Bear in mind that Aussies & Kiwis put an i’s on the end of everything.

He pointed out that the word **** is not the offensive part its the F*****g in front of it thats the problem!

mrchrispy

lol @ Mugboo

Mugboo

Just got round to reading the OP’s link.

Isn’t the clue in the ‘small’ part of small minority?

Surely if he meant to vilify a race he would have missed the small bit out..

tron
    Free Member

There was a documentary covering this subject which was pulled shortly before broadcast a few years ago due to fears that it would incite further race riots. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3602854.stm

I expect that Jack Straw is in a position to know about the issues – he was home secretary after all. This kind of thing is, however, gold dust to the BNP, EDL etc.

I expect the majority of people who have got a reasonable idea of whether it’s a case of common or garden perversion or a cultural issue are extremely unlikely to stick their heads above the parapet.

I think we’d be better off if we did discuss these issues more openly and stopped thinking so bloody oddly as soon as race or religion enters the equation – things like not airing that documentary gives racists a bucket full of “This is what they don’t want you to know” ammunition.

And another thing, if someone in my area turned out to be abusing young girls, I know they wouldn’t go and find the vicar, chair of the neighbourhood watch committee etc. and stick them on the telly as a “Community Leader”. Could you get any more patronising?

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘What is going on with Jack Straw?’ is closed to new replies.