Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • what is facebook for (rant content)
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

I still can’t see the point

the photo stuff is average at best – much prefer flickr
    it’s full of adverts
    I keep finding out that people I hardly know are doing things I don’t care about
    People now seem to think that e-mail is obsolete and face book is the only way to communicate
    People I don’t want to know keep asking to be my friend
    and did I say it was full of adverts at least most of the ones here -> relate to bikes except that one about the barbie dolls dressed as cave women

rant over

tails
    Free Member

Don’t use it then, i don’t for a few of the above. 😀 🙂

AndyP
    Free Member

worst rant ever.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    soops
    Free Member

I deleted mine over a year ago

Was a great day!! 🙂

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

It’s to let you share with the world what you’re doing – even if it is just making beans on toast or ‘having an off day’ coz you’ve got PMT, or something… yawn…

The only point I see to it is sharing photos, but it pi$$es me off when people put up pics of me without asking first (esp. if i’m a tad drunk in them!).

I don’t see how people can spend long on it each day, checking out all their "friends" stuff. But i’d guess it’s not a mile away from those who sit reading this forum all day…
    I’m just too old for it! 😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

Facebook = is for ****

I hope that sums it up for you?

surfer
    Free Member

I joined a few weeks back in a moment of incredible boredom. Thats an hour I’ll never get back!

tegski
    Free Member

Facebook is for kids…
    (Teacher and father of 16 and 13 year old speaking…!)
    Personally, I already spend too much time on MTB related websites – don’t need more computer time, better to get out and ride!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

it’s for stalking people. Or thats what I use it for 😈

miketually
    Free Member

I like it. My sisters have just moved away from home so it’s a great way of keeping in touch with them, and one of my brothers is emigrating to Canadia later this year so will be a good way to see what he’s up to. Quite a few ex-students are friends on it, so I get to see their graduation photos and what they’re getting up to. Got in touch with a few half-known cousins in canada too.

aracer
    Free Member

Can you not do all of those things by e-mail, Mike?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

It’s a reasonable way of finding out what people you don’t have regular contact with are doing.

Seems some people spend their whole life on it though

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it seems to be some people actual life

chakaping
    Free Member

As Piedi says – it’s a good way to feel like you’re still in touch with people that you never see.

The photo sharing facility is really good because of the viral aspect. Only 3 or 4 of my 150ish "friends" might be interested in my MTB trip photos – and I probably wouldn’t have emailed them to those people – but they have to option to look at them if they want to.

I’ve also discovered other "friends" are MTBers via Facebook pictures, which was nice.

Honestly, if you can’t see the benefits it offers, I suspect you’d probably be happier watching Grumpy Old Men on the telly instead anyway.

DrJ

If you’ve lived in a few places, and have scattered friends, it’s quite a good way to keep some sort of contact. People sometimes write funny or interesting things for their large group of friends that they wouldn’t bother to write just for you. But if you don’t get anything out of it yourself, don’t use it – no-one is forcing you to.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i’m not just wondering why the rest of the world seems to have adopted it as a way of life, I have lived all over, currently on the other side of the world and have mastered various forms of communication that don’t involve half the crap that they pedal. Maybe at 29 it’s time I moved on from the internet

waihiboy
    Free Member

cheap form of voyeurism

phoenix
    Free Member

I’m thinking it might be a way of me getting a life…

phoenix
    Free Member

maybe not the life I want though…
    ¦o)

Cooroo
    Free Member

There are a lot of people I wouldn’t email often because I have nothing special to say to them. But I can see what they’re doing, they can see what I’m doing. If the 2 start to coincide we can chat about it.

I like playing sudoku against complete strangers, and silly word games. I like seeing photos of online friends I haven’t met.

tomlevell

The only point I see to it is sharing photos, but it pi$$es me off when people put up pics of me without asking first (esp. if i’m a tad drunk in them!).

You do realise if they took the photo they have the copyright to that picture and not you. If you don’t like it stop being their friend.

The photo and email system are utter rubbish but serve a purpose. I don’t and won’t use the photo stuff much as the T&C are draconian and Facebook own the right to use your photos for whatever they see fit. Stick to Flickr with a feed onto Facebook.

DrJ

tomlevell: – What do you use to feed Flickr photos onto Facebook?

druidh
    Free Member

DrJ – there’s an "Import" tab on Facebook – when you go into your Profile

miketually
    Free Member

Can you not do all of those things by e-mail, Mike?

Yes, but I didn’t. I wouldn’t bother writing an email to people because of something daft my kids did, but it’s dead easy to stick up a status update on Facebook.

coogan
    Free Member

Pointless ‘rant’ (as all the ‘rants’ are), you don’t like, don’t use it. Pretty simple.

nasher
    Free Member

I signed up just so I can track a handful of old friends.

Its agreat way to get in touch.

After that I use the phone, email and pub and dont use it to chat etc..

rodderz
    Free Member

i find it interesting how sad someones life must be if the greatest thing they have done is delete their facebook.account.

macmclaren
    Free Member

im in the marines but will be out in april. I joined simply to keep in touch with mates. its easy to say u will but ive found facebook works for me. Tho there are some seriously random oddballs on there.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘what is facebook for (rant content)’ is closed to new replies.