Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • What is British culture?
  • Brainflex

Being a pom in NZ I often come up against Maori culture and their way of living. This lead to me thinking about British culture, What would you say are the main points of british culture and way of life? Especially if describing it to a foreigner.

noteeth
    Free Member

A kind of stout miserablism.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Let’s start on something easier,

1)what is ‘British’
    2)what is culture?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Beer and football.

donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t think there is a singularly identifiable British culture in itself as Britain includes diverse cultures from Wales, Scotland and England.

Stoner
    Free Member

Bitter and Rugby

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvPuj4f5CKw[/video]

j_me
    Free Member

I think that technically it is an oxymoron.

noteeth
    Free Member

Let’s start on something easier

Culture is something you grow in petri dishes.

The British are the result of leaving a petri dish out in the endless, endless rain.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

LOL @ Noteeth! 😆

rs
    Free Member

definitely moaning about stuff

ton

british culture is dead.

it was replaced by chav thug materialistic greed selfish culture in the early 80’s when thatcher was in power.

sharki
    Free Member

It’s rather like the life of sheep.

You’re brought up by your mother, or the mother of another lamb until you’re old effort to feed yourself.

You live with the belief you have freedom, yet follow everyone else through the fields, usually along the same old paths as you and others have ever done.

Occasionally you’ll be taken to one side and there you have hope for a less sheep like existence, however you find yourselves shoved into a Dip or VAT and have everything you been saving taken from you. and shoved back into a live of grazing and following the other sheep.

At time you be pushed into a room, were one by one you’re pulled to one side, tossed on your back and properly fleeced of everything, then you’ll be chucked out in the cold, nekid and in tatters.

You will either live you life like this and get to breed or end up making those in control of you lives fatter.

Junkyard
    Free Member

super answer no teeth 😛

chewkw
    Free Member

Bureaucracy. The computer says noooo.

yunki
    Free Member

the perpetual rivalry of the prim toffs versus the gruff peasants amid the confused and pompous bleating of the middle class sheep in between..

TheBrick
    Free Member

A little bit of this

Daily Mail-o-matic

druidh
    Free Member

A combination of the responses from SbZ and yunki.

gordimhor

There is no’British’ culture

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s not a monoculture (thankfully).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s Cultimultural.

donsimon
    Free Member

the perpetual rivalry of the prim toffs versus the gruff peasants amid the confused and pompous bleating of the middle class sheep in between..

Beer and football.

Aren’t those just englandshire and not Britainland?

As Wales doesn’t really have toffs, we’re all gruff peasants who prefer rugby to football and drink bitter. 😉

aP
    Free Member

Xenophobia, ignorance and fear of anything difference characterises a lot of the populace – together with intolerance and the desire to destroy anything foreign. Oh, and a love of German pseudo executive cars.

easygroove
    Free Member

whatever it is…..you miss it a little when you move away….living in Aus for past 6 years and there are many things that are missed from the UK culture: footy, humour, music, quality tv, ……i’m sure these all contribute towards ‘UK culture’.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Moaning, beer, fry ups, page 3, fox hunting, public school, council estate, binge drinking, tea drinking, football hooligan, country gents, Chubby Brown, Stephen Fry, MCC, working mens clubs, Carry on films, Brideshead revisited…….

I’d say we’re a bit confused really. But our superiority complex means we are still better than everyone else!

catfood
    Free Member

I`m rather saddened by many of the answers above, personally I dont think the majority of us are a bunch of chavy, moaning xenephobes. The vast majority of British people I know are open-minded, warm, friendly, funny and tolerent, this includes youths.

Culture for me is the framework which everything hangs off and I think Britain`s is extremely rich and diverse.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

British culture is Irish, Welsh, Scottish, Cornish and Breton culture. English culture is German. 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

british culture is dead.

it was replaced by chav thug materialistic greed selfish culture in the early 80’s when thatcher was in power.

So, what was it before that, then?

No doubt going on strike because the canteen had run out of teabags was a part of it…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

British culture is a mixture of proud traditions.

One such tradition is being proudly upheld here by fine British patriots……

…..it travels well btw

juan
    Free Member

i think you british people fail to understand what the british culture is.
    It’s something I can’t name or describe in a few words, but it is something that I would recognise in a heartbeat.
    Something that brings a smile to my face as soon as I touch down at the airport and that make me think I am back here as soon as go through the doors of the terminal building.
    Something you can’t touch, something you cant smell but something you know is here, unmistakable and yet undefinable…
    HTH

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

HTH

Well if I’m honest, no, not really.

Cougar

As beautifully demonstrated here, British culture is steeped in cynicism.

Sure, we have a percentage of idiots, but I don’t think that differentiates us from a lot of other countries. It does sadden me that our cultural ambassadors these days seem to be the “Brits on the lash” stag party / football fan brigade.

TheBrick
    Free Member

juan – Member
    Something you can’t touch, something you cant smell…

You can usually smell it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sure, we have a percentage of idiots

Cooee! (Waves) 😀

footflaps

You could read Jeremy Paxman’s ‘The English’ although I can’t recall anything profound from it.

Brainflex

Hmmm, I am amazed at some of the answers, what happened to being proud of being British? I know I am. Are most of you ashamed to be British? If so why?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

British culture is the meek, Nimby-ish middle ground between the prolelitarian, binge drinking soap opera loving mouth breathers and the hyper elitist workshy toffs in their ivory towers.

“If you want to imagine the future of British culture, imagine a Hyundai Getz, driving slowly to the garden centre, forever”

firestarter
    Free Member

Brainflex when I was in the forces I was proud of being British but it was slowly eroded the more and more British I saw overseas and it was well killed off upon my return to uk 12 years later after seeing the state of the place and a lot of the people

trailmonkey

There isn’t much of a ‘British’ culutre on account of Britain being a political convenience rather than a clearly defined homogenous whole.
    Lots of evidence of English culture, Scots culture, Welsh culture, Irish culture but I’m not convinced of how much of it interrelates to become British. In fact I’d say English culture is more influenced by culture from the Commonwealth than it is by Burns or the eisteddfod.

I’m certainly having no truck with any of that awful diddly diddly music either.

Brainflex

Ok, trailmonkey talks about english culture, can anyone sum that up for me? I would say that is harder to define than british culture, We dont have national costume, an english anthem or english beliefs or do we?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘What is British culture?’ is closed to new replies.