Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What is an enduro?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Another thread is asking about what you ride for an enduro, what I'd like to know is, what exactly is an enduro?

This is a serious question, here in Spain we have cross country (multi lap max 45km)or maratones (50-110km or more!!)

Thanks

nonk
    Free Member

its a maratone then.

donsimon
    Free Member

Cheers.

foxyrider
    Free Member

And enduro – my definition is a 1 lap – usually circular route – usually natural riding which can range in distance from about 25km to infinity 😉 usually about 25Km to 100Km 🙂

So Marathone like about 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

technically there should be a difference. see here

it doesn't help that to most people, including event organisers, the terms are interchangable

foxyrider
    Free Member

Trouble is if everyone uses the term Enduro like I do what is the point of defining it otherwise like on teh wiki site i.e. :

Enduro – Enduro (ND) is a relatively new format which appears to have taken some inspiration from both car rally and motorbike enduro racing. Mountain bike enduro is essentially the competitive side of the mountain biking format often referred to today as "All-Mountain". It is a stage-race format where the winner is the rider who accumulates the lowest combined time from the various timed sections. Mountain bike enduro competitions typically take place over the course of 1 or 2 days, however, week-long enduro competitions do also exist. A typical one-day enduro race consists of 3 to 5 timed "special" stages which take place on technically demanding, generally descending terrain. These special stages are linked by predominantly ascending "liaison" stages. Although a rider's specific performance on the physically demanding liaison stages does not affect his or her result, the liaisons are often associated with a time-cut off (i.e. a latest permitted arrival at the summit of the next special stage). Due to this eclectic combination of attributes, enduro racing is increasingly recognised as the truest test of the all-round mountain biker.

Hmm that definition sounds like a race like the Kielder Avalanche ?

juan
    Free Member

What you guys have is long boring xc races around a muddy field…
    Enduros are something mucho different.
    Have a look here:
    http://www.1001sentiers.fr/1001endurotour/epreuves.html
    It is indeed what foxtrider have put in his reply.

mAx_hEadSet

I'm with tombthumb somewhat, the correct definition of Enduro lieshere an event where there are traditionally four elements of a riders ability on test, cross country riding skills, reliability of the bike and mechanic skills, maintaining a scheduled time to progress around the course with the aim to neither ride to fast or slow, and finally one or two specific sections timed to see who can be the quickest and penalise everyone else by how much slower they were than the winner.

The American name was churned up in the mid 70's by Jack Penton, Malcolm Smith and a few others who wanted to rename a traditional European Motorcycle sport of Timed, Reliability and Observation Trials for US Consumption. The American enduro rules used only by the yanks make for a far more challenging event than the international FIM based ones used in Europe which allows the rider to ride as quick as they can and to slow up and stop as they approach the check and only needing the skills required to ride a bike with a nailed open throttle. In the US riders have to maintain an average pace, secret checks are placed in hidden locations and any riders who have picked up too much speed and gained time will loose points if they ride into the check ahead of their scheduled arrival

Specialized purloined the name for an illustrious range of bikes and ever since opportunist event promoters have misused the name to mostly associate an event that is little more than a long distance XC race (Marathon) or a non competitive XC hack and to draw in fools to be parted from their money. I think the Original definition of enduro is ideal and anyone wanting to run anything different should call it by some other name to avoid confusing those who do know the difference, I would suspect the word Endurothon might well be unused at present.

I hope one day somebody out there will bring to mountain biking the joy of check cards, burning the check and special tests. Indeed someone may be organising something along this line very shortly and might be letting you know very soon. 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

I thought there was more to it than just a long race, as the motorbike enduro was something different.

thanks.

ash

Hmm that definition sounds like a race like the Kielder Avalanche ?

That's because the Kielder AvalancheEnduro IS Enduro, whereas races like the Kielder100 and other extended XC races are NOT Enduro, they are "Marathon", as defined by UCI.

I agree with the Wiki definition quoted above, which is also the definition used in all of mainland Europe. It seems there's just a certain percentage of British mountain bikers that insist on calling 12h, 24h and other Marathon races "Enduro".

ash

p.s. if we're talking multi-day races: this is an Enduro, whereas this isn't.

J0N
    Free Member

Enduro = special timed stages
    Endurance = riding as far or as many course laps in a single time frame.
    I think the confusion is coming from people being lazy and shortening the word endurance along with the fact that endurance is better established in the UK.

I have an additional question. Is the mega avalanche an Enduro or an endurance event? 🙂

ash

The Megavalanche isn't an Enduro, as it's just one (albeit very long) timed section.

juan
    Free Member

BTW speaking of proper enduro I am going to pre check the sospel enduro tomorrow want to join me ash 😉

ash

Obviously I can't… BUT… I would very much appreciate a topo summary of the route!. We are going to ride it on 17th or 18th April.

juan
    Free Member

Ash keep me posted as I already told you, if I am free I'll ride it with you.
    I'll see if I can get you a GPS tack.
    nity nity

ash

Have a good 'un. See, there are *some* benefits to being unemployed 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

BTW – English language changes depending on how people use it so 10 years ago and Enduro was mean't to be timed stages etc etc. But if most people use the term 'enduro' for and 'Endurance event' which I now agree is the case (stand corrected) then Don't hold out for people to suddenly use teh correct term – I suspect teh english dictionary will be updated to suggest its a long endurance event 😉

ash

10 years ago and Enduro was mean't to be timed stages

That's my point though it has ALWAYS meant that (to at least 80% of the European MTBing population anyway)… IMHO it's certain UK 12/24/marathon events promoters (not necessarily those who part-take in them) who are to blame for introducing misuse of the expression 🙂

Don't hold out for people to suddenly use teh correct term – I suspect teh english dictionary will be updated to suggest its a long endurance event

I feel a Facebook petition coming on 😉

juan
    Free Member

Bring it on ash

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What is an enduro?’ is closed to new replies.