Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What headset for £30ish ?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Must be better sealed than an XL2, £30 ish, 1 1/8″

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You wont find one, Cane Creek and FSA headsets are both made by TH Industries, and they’ve got the market pretty much sewn up for £30 headsets. Just smother the bearings in grease before installing and they’re fine for a couple of years and cheep to replace. The S3 has an extra seal on the crown race and under the top cap which helps a little so would get my vote.

£60 would get you a choice or Arcos or hope though.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

the xl2 top cap isn’t sealed at all, surely their is a better alternative?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a cane creek that has been untouched for 2 years without issues. I’d get one of those.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Cane Creek S3, . . sorted.

adilc123
    Free Member
    brassneck

Have you actually had problems with the XLII or is it a perceived problem?

Have them in both my bikes and not noticed an issue – they are so cheap that new bearings every 3 years or so doesn’t seem bad value to me.
    I think last time I got a new headset off ebay, cheaper than bearings as spares through the usual suspects.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

had probles on gritty rides with muck getting into the top cap and scratching etc

Northwind

cruzheckler – Member

the xl2 top cap isn’t sealed at all, surely their is a better alternative?

Industry standard, this- the bearing’s sealed so the top cap isn’t. The bottom seals on most headsets are splashguards rather than seals, easy enough to stop muck and water going up but very hard to stop it going down.

My Cane Creek S3 might have a wee guard in the top, can’t remember, I do know it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i had a ricthey wcs off ebay for about 20 quid, was really pleased with that, bearing still looked perfect after 18mnths use

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What headset for £30ish ?’ is closed to new replies.