• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What front mech for Genesis Altitude 853 ??
  • roadiesean
    Free Member

Hi guys

Its new frame time and I have everything to build up my new Genesis Altitude 30 853 frameset except a front mech as the one that came off my Blur is too big. Now I’m pretty sure I need a 30.0 clamp for the frame, but do I want top pull, bottom swing, bottom pull top swing, top pull top swing……WTF ???? Why can’t they make MTB’s like road bikes, all nice and straight forward !!

And also, is it possible to buy braze on style front mechs, so I can just use a collar and it will fit any frame in the future ???

Thanks all !!

Sean

andyha
    Free Member

enquiries@genesisbikes.co.uk

Try emailing James or Chris with your queries at the above address, I have recieved answers relating to a genesis frame which I bought last year pretty quickly, after buying the wrong front mech…

Andy

Mister-P
    Free Member

Shimano front mechs are multi-fit and dual pull so they are as simple as road mechs really.

Genesis fit top swing to their bikes so I would recommend doing the same. So all you need to do is decide what spec level you want.

Mister-P
    Free Member

BTW Chris is on holiday this week so if you have e-mailed Genesis there may be a delay in reply.

roadiesean
    Free Member

Yeah indeed ! They have been a little tardy in their response. As for level, I’m currently X9 throughout, so something along those lines. Thanks for your help.

S

roadiesean
    Free Member

Sorry, so should that be top swing, top pull ?? Or top swing bottom pull ??

Ta

mboy
    Free Member

It’s a 28.6mm clamp you need.

Either a Top Swing or a Conventional (Bottom Swing) is fine.

Needs to be a bottom pull, though Shimano mechs have been dual pull for years so if you’re buying a new one not an issue.

I have a spare M770 XT brand spanking new, over in the classifieds if you’re interested… 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

The cable routing on the frame is bottom pull but as Shimano mechs will take the cable from either direction it doesn’t usually matter. I have to admit my knowledge of SRAM front mechs is weak so not sure if they are pull specific.

rondo101
    Free Member

FYI conventional isn’t fine due to the bottle-cage mounts on the seat tube. You’ll want a top-swing.

Jason
    Free Member

Definitely a top swing. A conventional wouldn’t fit on my Altitude 20 frame.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Just checked the mech on my Altitude 30 and it’s marked as an FD-M660.
    As you can see from the pics, it’s bottom pull, top swing design.

[/url][/img]

[/url][/img]

Hope this helps 🙂

OCB
    Free Member

Mine’s got a top-swing (bottom pull) Hone F-mech on it.
    (The Genesis ended up with it purely as it was languishing in my spares bin, and had all of it’s clamp spacers with it).

XT-M785 (10spd) or XT-M770 (9spd) would be fine I’d guess.

I think SRAM refer to their mech’s as ‘High Clamp’, and ‘Low Clamp’ don’t they?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What front mech for Genesis Altitude 853 ??’ is closed to new replies.