Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • What family car??(hatch)
  • renton
    Free Member

We have decided that we would like a new car, after having a prang in the cmax i have lost enthusiasm for it and would like a change.

the thing is we dont know what to look at…..

must haves for the next motor…….

5 door hatch
    diesel
    less than 50k on the clock.
    good mpg
    cruise control
    big boot(for bike and dog!) and leg room for kids in back.
    bit of power when im on my own
    generally a nice sporty looking motor?

so far i have looked at a vauxhall vectra sri 150 and a mondeo 2.2 tdci titanium(when i say looked i mean on autotrader not real life!!)

im doing 24000 miles a year at mo so needs to be comfy on mway too!(moon on a stick!)

budget will be around 6k

what else is out there ????

help

cheers

steve

Edukator
    Free Member

What this lot know about cars could be written on the back of psotage stamp yet you post up here. Why? Is it a lack of thought, tact or trolling? There are all sort of places on the Net where people reside that can give you more than "they're German so they're solid" (despite lousy crash test results) or "they're French so they're flimsey" (despite topping crash test tables) or "they're unreliable" because a distant relative didn't replace the cam belt and it broke.

STW contributors don't know jot about cars, Fact.

renton
    Free Member

Erm…. ok !!!

thanks for your opinion…

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Go for the Mondeo, great car and better built than Vauxhalls in my opinion, even though I have an Astra myself, although have a Mondeo in work and its lovely!

tthew

Octavia for my money. Nice long shape so plenty of space inside. Good range of engines, inc. powerful diesels and decent petrols. Good reliability IME, prob not quite as big as the Mondeo but about the same as a Vectra, (probably)

geoffj

STW contributors don't know jot about cars, Fact.

Really?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/seat-ibiza-12-16v-any-opinions-mrs-coolhandlukes-possible-next-car

Dai – Member

'02> shape Ibizas are prone to eating their lower arm bushes, parts are cheap but the labour to change them adds up. A new design of bushes have now been issued to help cure it.
    The 1.2 engine has a timing chain, which is great as long as you keep the oil topped up. It uses a hydraulic tensioner so no oil = bad.
    Other niggles are the rear washer pipe popping off, servo pipes splitting and coil packs failing.
    Other than that, very good little cars.

HTH

Dai (Seat tech.)

sc-xc

Don't buy a French car, they're flimsy. Get German, they're solid.

Whatever you do though, don't but a Ford. My nan's brothers uncle had a Model T and it broke.

Dai
    Free Member

😆 🙄

renton
    Free Member

:mrgreen: @ Dai

Edukator
    Free Member

There you go renton .Two posts to prove my point:

tthew and santacruzsi have just come out with a lot of glib man-down-pub nonsense. They haven't got a clue. "I have Modeo so it is ace and you need one too". "I have an Octavia so it's ace and you need one too".

It's useless to you, you'd be better asking your 13-year-old kid if you have one. He's more likely to have read the (biased) magazines and is less likely to be biased himself as he doesn't have to justify his own choice by advising every dupe he meets to replicate his choice and thus confort him that he made a good choice himself.

mrmo
    Free Member

own a Octavia which i like and have recently had a Mondeo and Insignia as hire cars for work, the Vauxhall was in my opinion crap, the ford was a much nicer place to be.

Edukator
    Free Member

Now if a guy from Whyte said a "we have a few little niggles but they're fine little bikes" would you take him seriously? Would he really tell you that they all crack and fall apart and you'd do much better with a Specialized?

Edukator
    Free Member

the Vauxhall was in my opinion crap,

Now that's really useful isn't it. In my opinion Porches are crap. (I can spell in german BTW)

caledonia
    Free Member

I'm on my second Toyota Avensis and it's got to be the best car(s) i've ever owned.
    Both the Eastate and the Hatch are excellent cars.
    The D4D is a fantastic motor, although both mine have been petrol
    Great MPG, much underrated by the numpties on Top Gear. But I have to say I love mine.

Best bit, is that due to the recent 'blip' in publicity, I'd probably guess there are a bargain or 3 to be had !

Oh – and I have fitted towbars to both mine myself, so the bike carrying options are many !

What I will say tho, is Test drive one, you'll surprise yourself.

tthew

Edukator,

"I have an Octavia so it's ace and you need one too"

No I don't. I've had two as company cars in the past, a mk 1 1.9 diesel and a mk 2 2.0 diesel with a 6 speed box. I prefered the 1.9 mk 1. My car is a Fiat Punto. I was going to ask for an apology, but frankly I'm not really arsed what you think of me.

hora
    Free Member

What this lot know about cars could be written on the back of psotage stamp yet you post up here. Why? Is it a lack of thought, tact or trolling? There are all sort of places on the Net where people reside that can give you more than "they're German so they're solid" (despite lousy crash test results) or "they're French so they're flimsey" (despite topping crash test tables) or "they're unreliable" because a distant relative didn't replace the cam belt and it broke.

Octavia TDI. The French cars are shite for electrics and longevity. They only design the pap hoping someone will crash into the pile of cack and save them the embarrisment later.

warton
    Free Member

I can't give you any advice at all, but wtf is this Edukator on about? people have opinions, the OP wants those opinions, so whats it got to do with you?

Edukator
    Free Member

Extolling the virtues of the one you don't own. The Iron Horse Sunday World Cup is ace not that I've riiden one much less owned one or used it for any period of time.

Great MPG You probably believe the lies the 20% optimistic computer tells you.

And those guys on Top Gear are God's gift to motorig journalism till they don't like my car the numpties

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Edukator , who are you….Jeremy Clarkson! 🙂 I'm no mechanic or car geek, however that is my opinion!

warton
    Free Member

They only design hoping someone will crash into them and save them the embarrassment later.

That is gold, pure gold (with spelling corrected.)

Edukator
    Free Member

The French cars are shite for electrics and longevity.

You can't resist posting up stuff to so obviously prove my point can you. You're just a bunch of clueless pub bores when it comes to cars. If you stereotyped ethnic groups in the same way the mods would ban you for inciting racial hatred.

mrmo
    Free Member

edukator, what would rather i said, the engine was underpowered, the interior didn't suit, uncomfortable, etc, etc, simplier to say crap,

Downside with the mondeo was i felt it was a bit big, i live in narrow streets and was uncomfortable with driving around the parked cars,

warton
    Free Member

ha ha ha, yeah but we're not, we're talking about cars. quite a big difference. why don't you find a car forum, as you never seem to post about MTB anyway

caledonia
    Free Member

Extolling the virtues of the one you don't own.

I've driven two D4d's, and two of the sales reps in our company have owned them. I however prefer petrol cars. My preference, but my statement stands on my experience of both engines.

Great MPG You probably believe the lies the 20% optimistic computer tells you.

Emmm… Actual mileage covered and money spent on fuel over a number of different driving conditions and journey types leaves me with my own opinion on my MPG. And YES I do think that it's pretty exeptional.
    My 1.8vvti out performed my mates TDI passat on equal journey lengths.

And those guys on Top Gear are God's gift to motorig journalism till they don't like my car the numpties

Top gear is an entertainment program, and they have made many valid points in the past. They have however, in my recent memory, always called the toyota cars a boring drive and nothing too exciting.

So again – I said

Test drive one

and you might suprise yourself.

I stand by everything I said, and I apologise if you find cause to bring any of my opinions to task because you believe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Cheers.

baldSpot
    Free Member

Toyota Corolla or Ford Focus.

Edukator
    Free Member

There are people on here that know just as much about MTBs as me if not more so I'm quite happy to let them get on with giving good advice. I do occasionally contribute on the locations threads when I have something that might be useful to say.

the engine was underpowered, the interior didn't suit, uncomfortable, etc, etc, simplier to say crap,

Underpowered? How so? I haven't driven a car that couldn't race throught the speed limit in seconds whilst towing a caravan in years. As for the interior and the comfort, I think the OP can make up his own mind whether they constitute crap or not without your help.

renton
    Free Member

WTF is up with edukator???

anyone have experience of a mazda 6??

hora
    Free Member

Toyota 1.8 petrol. .
    Topic closed.

samcamsdad

we just bought a citroen xara piccaso. pig ugly, but cheap. 5 proper seats, 7000 miles £7695 on a 1.6 hdi. loads of boot space, about 50 to mpg. got to be worth a look.

Edukator
    Free Member

And now they get all defensive and try to justify the nonsense they've posted by analysing my every reply. We could go on analysing all night with you propping up your expert-in-pub clichés. "I once knew a rep that had a friend whose wife had a Metro and it was ace".

Funny how the less people know the more certain they are they are right.

hora
    Free Member

You can't resist posting up stuff to so obviously prove my point can you. You're just a bunch of clueless pub bores when it comes to cars. If you stereotyped ethnic groups in the same way the mods would ban you for inciting racial hatred.

Your the son of a Longbridge worker arent you? Repressed anti-petrol flows through your veins… 😆

The Union is strong with this one. Are you TJ's Brummy-cousin?

Edukator
    Free Member

WTF is up with edukator

Why don't you ask me? I'm here.

Edukator
    Free Member

My father never worked in Longbridge.

tthew

Actually Renton, one of my MTB'ing mates has a Mazda 6. Probably the one of the things you may be interested in about that is with the back seats folded down you can get 2 bikes in without taking the wheels off. (that' a FACT edukator!)

geoffj

The Union is strong with this one. Are you TJ's Brummy-cousin?

😆

Edukator
    Free Member

I agree tthew, that is useful information and FACT.

caledonia
    Free Member

Edukator – Member
    And now they get all defensive and try to justify the nonsense they've posted by analysing my every reply.

You just did the very same to my post.
    Think about what you are saying.

The OP asked the masses for their opinion on a topic. So we're being helpful and offering our experiences. End Of.

renton
    Free Member

edukator you are one miserable ****!!

i am just asking if there were other motors to consider other than the mondy or the vectra.

that is all

mrmo
    Free Member

edukator, if a rep mobile has problems getting up the hills on the M5 in birmingham, that suggests to me a power issue. It is the only car i have had that i have had to shift down to 3rd to on the same stretch. this is to maintain 70!

It is about opinion,

renton
    Free Member

And another thing, auto trader is getting on my tits tonight, i put in a mileage less than 40k on the search and it keeps bringing cars up with mileages over 100k!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘What family car??(hatch)’ is closed to new replies.