Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • What do you do on a 9 hour flight?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Sleep? Drink? Get back ache?

TiRed

Going out (to US), I read and rest. Coming home, I sleep. Don’t be tempted by the siren calls of the entertainment on a night flight home. I’m only up now due to jet lag from last night 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

I struggle with being kept still, I get slightly claustrophobic if I can’t move about much even for 2-3 hour flights, 9 hour looks to be painful. But I’ve booked it now!

br
    Free Member

Depends on who you are flying with, and which ‘class’ you’re in.

Usually I’m laid out flat on a bed 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 BA, “cattle class”

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Sleep through take off
    Drink a little GnT
    Eat the food
    Fall asleep watching a film (Cowboys and Aliens was sleep inducing this week)
    Get more sleep
    Wake up
    Get off plane

I travel a lot and it gets easier and easier to sleep on planes. Sometimes I just put the iPod on shuffle and go to sleep listening to that as it drowns out the cattle.

Currently I am sat in the 1st Class lounge in San Fran waiting for the terminally late BA flight to arrive and whisk me home. I will sleep most of the flight.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I struggle to sleep in a quiet bedroom with the lights off 😀

Looks like little blue phenergan pills look like the solution!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I can sleep standing up.

Business class is much better than cattle it’s fair to say. I’ve got a nice bed waiting for me – facing backwards, which is better. What **** me off is they turn the temperature right up to make you sleep – but it gets too hot.

dr_death
    Free Member

Make sure it the correct little blue pills that you buy, otherwise you will be up all night!!

(Thankyouverymuch)

the_lecht_rocks

Well I’m stuck here in san Fran too, so hoping to get some kip as its. Delayed 4 fookn hours…

aracer
    Free Member

Get DVT

br
    Free Member

At least its BA and you’ll get a decent G&T.

toby1

Fidget, scratch try and sleep, get a sore neck. Get really really bored, watch some crap movies on a terrible screen.

I try not to fly long haul!

trail_rat
    Free Member

For 9 hours get an isle seat !

Nothing worse than being trapped against the window for 9 hrs

On way there i take my ipad and watch movies and play games

The good news is the more you fly the easier it gets to sleep and get comfy !

On way back head phones on red wine down the gulet and wake up at heathrow 🙂

To the guys stuck in sf – be glad it aint lax ! Hole !!

zokes
    Free Member

For 9 hours get an isle seat !

Nothing worse than being trapped against the window for 9 hrs

I do quite the opposite. Much better that you be the one who chooses when to do the disturbing IMO

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Depends when and where, but usually a mix of sleep, drink, read, watch a film or work. As others have said, business class certainly helps! 🙂

avdave2

16 years I’ve been flying regularly for work now and I still don’t sleep well even on the flat beds. Noise cancelling headphones or ear plugs are good for long haul flights.

turboferret

I generally sleep on flights, regardless of duration, but I think I’m one of the lucky few who can do so.

If it’s a day-time flight and I’m not dog-tired when I get on I’ll generally eat a bit of food and watch a film, otherwise it’s noise-blocking earphones, neck pillow and eye-blanket and out for the count.

I always go for a window seat and moderate my fluid intake to ensure that if I use the toilet before I get on, and just after I get off, I won’t need to get up during the flight. This isn’t necessarily a policy I encourage, but it works for me.

Cheers, Rich

Taff
    Free Member

Got this in two weeks. Last time had mbr, singletrack and a book. Watched a couple of films, played the onboard games

ben
    Free Member

I do quite the opposite. Much better that you be the one who chooses when to do the disturbing IMO

As do I.

I also get stuck into the bloody marys.

p7rich
    Free Member

Get yourself a handheld games console. Priceless in these situations.

PSVita?

andermt
    Free Member

I do a 12hr flight a few times a year and there is nothing worse than getting on the plane, having a few beers, some food watch a couple of films, read for a while and then realise your not even halfway yet! (it may be a 12hr flight but my door to door time is around 23hrs!)

I tend to struggle to sleep on flights, although it can be dependant on when I fly, from the UK going East it’s easier to sleep if it’s an evening flight but tends to mess you up for a few days as you arrive out there the following evening.

Coming back they are morning flights so you end up with 2 options, either hit the bars for an all nighter and hit the plane knackered and slightly pissed which means you sleep well, or hope there is a good selection of films and you have a few books to keep you going for about 11 of the 12 hours (as I really struggle to sleep in that instance).

The main thing for me though are noise cancelling headphones, they make a huge difference, a kindle with a big selection of books and a few films on the laptop just in case the choices on the plane are poor.
    Always have an aisle seat, that way you can get up and walk around if needs be, window seats can sometimes feel a bit cramped for a long haul flight.

avdave2

As do I.

Luckily on long haul I don’t usually have to mix with inconsiderate riff raff. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tablet is a better bet, imo. Films, tv shows, games and music. All on top of what’s on the IFE. I worked my way through everything I could have wanted to watch on BA’s IFE one month last year. Having my tablet, and noise cancellers, was ideal!

Keva
    Free Member

isle seat here too. It means I can stretch my legs out, but that’s easy for me on a plane as I’m 5’4″, loads of room. Watch a film, catch up on sleep, read books, play music have a glass of wine or two. I only remember one time struggling to keep my sanity when the passengers next to me were one parent having to look after an 18month old and a two and half year old, on a 15 or something hour flight from Madrid to Lima. I was glad to get off that plane.

Kev

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Always have an aisle seat, that way you can get up and walk around if needs be, window seats can sometimes feel a bit cramped for a long haul flight.”

at 6 ft 3 just the ability to stretch my legs into the isle is worth the disruption and the ability to get up and walk about when you want on a long haul without being the c**t that wakes everyone in your row up on a regular basis

noise cancelers are worth weight in gold – even the cheap sony ones i have.

TimS
    Free Member

I fly long-haul cattle-class about 10 times a year. 🙁

I always try to do what will make the jet lag easier. Going west, I try to stay awake to make sure that I sleep through the night. Going east, I sleep — earplugs and an eye mask are priceless.

zokes
    Free Member

Luckily on long haul I don’t usually have to mix with inconsiderate riff raff.

Well, as there are far more non-aisle seats on planes than aisle seats, that’s quite a lot of inconsiderate riffraff 🙄

pomona
    Free Member

Does the Mile High Club count if one is alone in the toilet?

peterfile
    Free Member

I do long haul about once or twice a month (a mixture of Business and Economy class, depending on the client).

I take on my MBP/Books (kindle recently), lots of music, work etc etc….and I never touch any of it.

Something weird happens to me when I get on a plane. I have no motivation to do anything other than sit there, bored senseless.

One of the most unpleasant ways to travel IMO, even in Business class. Not many alternatives though if you need to get somewhere in under a week though ha ha! 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

Wait until you’re the last person to board the flight. Claim nerves if the staff at the gate ask you. Then walk in casually and claim the row with the most empty seats = bed, lounge etc. In the good old days you could get into business class this way. Not so now, but in cattle-class they don’t care what seat number you were originally given. Then do whatever you want for 9 hours. Apparently the people who stand at the back and chat to cabin crew are loathed by said cabin crew, despite thinking they’re being sociable and friendly.

Earplugs with noise canceling headphone over the top and a Burton Sleeper for the flight back

http://www.boardsonline.co.uk/Hoodies/Burton-Sleeper-Premium-FZ-Hoodie-Team-Blue-X-Large-2012/prod_152.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    willard

I’ve been on civilian long haul flights, and have managed a combination of drinking, eating, dozing and reading for the 9 or more hours it takes to get to where ever I am heading. If the alcohol is free, then more drinking earlier on means less eating and more sleeping.

On the military flights there is no drinking, so I read, eat and doze.

Both of said types are hampered by the lack of legroom for my 6′ 5″ frame in cattle class, so a lot of the time I wake up with a sore neck, or when I am am knocked into by either a trolley-dolly or a squaddie going to the bog. The only option is to tie my head to the head rest and attempt to sleep sitting up.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I don’t sleep on planes so can sympathise. Don’t drink too much alchohol or you’ll get dehydrated and feel crap. Keep topping yourself up with water.

Try to get an aisle seat in the centre block – only one person inside you to have to move for assuming its 3-4-3 seating.

Good book and an iPad or similar

joemarshall
    Free Member

Double vodka and coke when they first offer drinks, and after first meal. Then sleep and drunken stupor until you’re nearly there,then just coke to rehydrate.

I find coke wakes me up for a little while then I zoom back off to sleep – if it doesn’t have that effect,maybe replace first two with g+t, the drunken stupor is the important bit.

I’m a good sleeper though, which probably helps.

Joe

BoardinBob

Drink.

9 hours of complimentary booze. Beer and a whisky chaser. Win.

OmarLittle
    Free Member
    CaptJon
    Free Member

If you can check in online do it as soon as you can, pay the extra to pick a seat, and chose one without any seats in front of you – much more leg room. On flights to and from DC i did this and was the best £20 i ever spent.

Rubber_Buccaneer

For an overnight flight I get into the ninja sleep suit at the first opportunity, have dinner then watch a film or go to the bar followed by bed when I feel tired. Come to think of it there isn’t much else to do, luckily I’m easily pleased 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

I drink as much wine as they’ll give me, watch a film, put on an eye mask and ear plugs, and go to sleep. Works a treat.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What do you do on a 9 hour flight?’ is closed to new replies.