• This topic has 98 replies, 79 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jeffc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • What do you collect?
  • handyman153
    Free Member

Morning STW…

So after reading through the Airfix collection thread.. And currently attempting the task of sorting through my late Grandfarthers multiple collections (Trains, tools etc). It got me wondering what other people collect, why they start, and what they plan to do with it?

I personally would say I invest in a collection. With a small amount of studio and broadcast equipment, which I am hoping will raise in price, while also being nice to own.

So… What do all you guys collect?

tomhoward

Is 7 a collection? If so then bikes.

Music, films and video games too

If 3 counts then aircraft instrumentation too 8)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Niggling Injuries

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I only need 9 more!

(Theyv’e all been brought back from Canada/USA by people I know)

kayak23

Stones. Little stones from places I visit. I write the place on the stone and stick it on a shelf.

colournoise

Got a bit of Lego. A few traditional drums and percussion instruments (and a fair few electronic instruments). Quite a bit of music on vinyl and CD. Probably 40+ cookery books. Wouldn’t call any of them collections though, not just accruals of stuff connected to some of my interests.

Only thing I think I actually collect would be interesting (rather than expensive or exotic) pens and pencils. Probably got 80 or 90, most of which get used on an ad-hoc rotation basis. I am an art teacher, so I guess obsessing with writing and drawing equipment is OK…

EDIT. Just seen kayak’s post. I too have loads of stones and pebbles from various places – I’m just not organised enough to have written on them where they come from…

Harry_the_Spider

Slot cars.
    Travel books.
    and most recently models kits. 1 72, WWII and Cold War era stuff.
    5 1/2 bikes isn’t really a collection, but it cost multiple times more than the above 3.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Resentments.

pnik

Ok esselgruntfuttock what are they?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Owls
    Regrets
    Moss

grahamt1980

Gotta say the hockey pucks is a cool one to collect.
    I don’t tend to collect anything really. Although we do seem to be collecting a fair number of the beatrix potter 50p coins in silver at the moment and some of the other nice ones

zippykona

Women’s magazines are a great place to find handy hints that out Viz ,Viz.
    Someone wrote in saying how much she had always admired those bloody awful decorative plates that old people collect.
    She then went on about how she couldn’t afford them so she simply cut the pictures from the adverts.
    There was even a picture of her standing proudly in her hallway with all these cut outs blue tacked to her wall.
    Apparently all her visitors commented on them!
    ps do I win Star Letter and a £25 voucher?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Souls

somafunk

Nowt really, closet thing is probably tools as i’ve got 3 large tool cabinet/chests, one for bike stuff, one for car stuff, and one for “other stuff”. I doubt even that could be termed a collection as the contents get used frequently.

Don’t really do any other collections as i hate clutter/shite lying around and every few months have a clearout, I stay in a 1bed bungalow so space is at a premium and i have very minimal other stuff, my entire life at age 45 would fit quite comfortably in a small transit van. (apart from my tool cabinets)

Oh…just remembered – I collect reg numbers of vehicles that either cut me up/endanger my life on the bike and when/if i get the chance to pull them up about it at some future point i am quite polite about broaching the subject with them, what i do next is dependant on their reactions.

tomhoward

Souls

It’s spelt ‘Shoes’…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Limited Edition silkscreen gig posters..
    If i put them all together in a pile it would come up to my waist.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I collect murano glass, and glass paperweights.

skink2020

Alasdair Gray screen prints has proved to be a costly collection.

squirrelking
    Free Member

At the moment, air guns.

Diana 52 sidelever sleeved down to 22mm and short stroked. To be assembled at the earliest opportunity.

Diana 430 underlever lightly modified for smoother firing cycle.

Sterling HR81 underlever. Great gun with iron sights.

Heavily modified Crosman AS2250XT with HPA and multi-shot breech.

Wrecked Hatsan 60.

Crosman 2240 pistol with carbine stock.

Westlake S2. For teh lulz.

Wanting to get a proper PCP, regret selling the Falcon Prairie CM for a friend.

willard

Failed relationships?

I used to collect graphic novels and, unintentionally, books. Those have mostly gone now as I attempt to de-clutter.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Debt

badgerbater
    Free Member

Currently colds. I’ve just got my second in a row and fed up with the constant runny nose and phlegm! And why always on a double bank holiday!?

Cougar

Souls

It’s spelt ‘Shoes’…[/quote]

Soles?

pictonroad

Half finished things, can’t get enough of them.

wilburt
    Free Member

Money

deadkenny
    Free Member

Junk.

And then I never get round to chucking it out.

Bikes and bike stuff could be considered a collection but I don’t intend to collect the stuff, it’s just stuff to use and a load of worn out replaced junk I haven’t thrown out.

I used to collect DVDs (films). Had 400 at one point. Then I found I don’t have the time / energy to watch them any more and on top everything went HD so I refuse to watch films in SD but I can’t be bothered replacing the collection (and wouldn’t have time to watch them anyway. I’ve got dozens that I had replaced on Blu Ray years ago and not watched them).

If space allowed, I’d have a collection of retro computers. At present I just have a ZX81 and Spectrum. I want a BBC Micro again at least, maybe others. But then again, if space allowed, I’d have a lot more bikes.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Regrets

tomhoward

Regrets

+1.

…I’ve had a few…

thepurist

KOMs 😉

Or actually miniature orchids, small plants with tiny flowers. Though “collect” could be taken to mean “try and sometimes fail to keep alive”

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Failed relationships?

I used to collect graphic novels

Comic books, dude. Comic books always do that.

nach
    Free Member

Nothing physical. My mum used to collect ornaments and tat, which just seemed like a lot of junk and dusting.

Outside of that, uh, browser tabs and games on Steam.

I suppose bikes count, but if n+1 gets over four I get pretty brutal about selling them.

sofaking
    Free Member

whisky, memories- though I lose a lot of them, vinyl, films, books on abandoned places, Mike mignola comics

P-Jay
    Free Member

Lessons unlearned.
    Nervous twitches.
    Broken dreams

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve got a few airguns:

BSA R10 Airtech tuned with 32mm dia. Carbon shroud/silencer. Stupidly accurate.
    Steyr LP2 Compact PCP match pistol.
    1980s vintage Gamo Center under lever pistol
    1990s vintage BSA 240 Magnum pistol.
    Gamo P25 CO2 pistol with 16 shot mag’ and blowback “slide”. Much fun.

Cougar

If space allowed, I’d have a collection of retro computers. At present I just have a ZX81 and Spectrum. I want a BBC Micro again at least, maybe others

I’ve got a Speccy, an ST and an Amiga. I should actually do something with them at some point…

Outside of that, uh, browser tabs and games on Steam.

I’m brutal with browser tabs. I go on a mad closing session once I’ve got so many open that there isn’t space to show the icons any more…

I have 181 Steam games. I’ve probably played half a dozen of them.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Muscle fibres, a very good investment for later life.

Dickyboy

Nothing, having a father who collects everything is a good education

loddrik
    Free Member

Arc’teryx jackets it would seem, much to the wife’s annoyance.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Retrobikes and old cameras. Trying to thin the bike collection down a bit though(this mostly happens in my head). Haven’t bought any cameras for a while either.

I’ve limited my book buying considerably and try to borrow or use the library as I have boxes and boxes full of them. CD’s and records are really just gathering dust now I’ve been using spotify. Magazines still slip through the net though, I must have most Singletracks and a few older mountain bike ones.

I have been trying to stop gathering stuff and getting rid of a load is very cathartic as I try to declutter.

EDIT: its actually worse than I thought, I’ve boxes of comics somewhere, first day covers, spoons(yes really), and coins.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Oh and bags for life. Possibly Scotlands biggest collection.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘What do you collect?’ is closed to new replies.