Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What digital mapping?
  • spooky_b329

At the moment I use Tracklogs v.3 for route planning etc, but having recently moved into the dark side of road biking I am finding I am being limited by ‘uncharted territory’ i.e. I have bought the South Downs (and Peak District) national park areas, and they are quite small when you are looking to do 60 mile plus rides.

My wife has just bought a GPS unit so it needs to upload routes to that, (Holux GPSport Pro).

Before I splash out on buying the whole country at £115 from Tracklogs, (all of our holidays involves bikes, and most years we stay in the UK) are there any other companies/software I should consider?

Also, is there anything to stop me selling my National Parks on eBay, was a bit surprised to find none on there already?!

singletracksurfer

I use Anquet – they’ve had some good deals on recently too.
    Prefer it to Memory map.

You usually have to register the software, so won;t be able to sell it on.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I had no problems buying some Tracklogs V3 maps off someone else and installing them on my PC. You have to register them, but the registration key is on the packaging and doesn’t seem to be limited to one machine.

This was several years ago.

geoffj

Why not just use one of the online options like where’s the path?

spooky_b329

Well I just tried ‘Wheresthepath’, didn’t look too hopefull as the fourth dialogue popup box informed me that the site had exceeded its allowance of OS tiles for today, so I could only look at copyright free 1940’s mapping. Still interesting, but only because so much is missing! Does it normally exceed its quota of mapping? I’d have thought Tuesday would be one of the quieter days…

Off to play with Anquet, I remember doing a trial of Memory Map a few years back, and much preferred the Tracklogs software.

riatsala
    Free Member

Try Grough Route – £2 / month for access to all UK 1:25K

allthegear
    Free Member

OS 1:25000 is on maps.bing.com

That’s what I use on the Mac as it always has Internet. On my iPhone, I use the sustrans app, Cycle Network, which lets you cache large areas at 1:25000 before you go into a dead zone.

Rachel

cinnamon_girl
    ebygomm
    Free Member

If it’s for road biking do you need the traditional OS 50k/25k maps? Can’t you just download OS Vectormap District or Streetview and import into what you want?

spooky_b329

Thanks everyone…plenty of research to do 🙂 Will be trawling through the options 🙂

Ewan
    Free Member

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/

If you register you get the whole of the 1:25000 OS mapping for the UK for free. And the ability to do GPXs. It’s ace.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What digital mapping?’ is closed to new replies.