Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What DAB/Docking stn for a kitchen
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I was thinking of getting one of the Bose Sounddock systems @ £199 for the kitchen but then got to thinking maybe it would be good to have a radio as well.

Must be really good sound quality.
    Must charge the iphone/pod whilst docked (maybe they all do this?)
    A bonus would be that it would be fairly easy to move to another room occasionally.
    And this would be a real bonus, if it could connect wirelessly to my MacBook Pro (but that might well be pushing it!)

Any suggestions/personal recommendations?

BB

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

We have one of these – does everything we need

http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-61060&Category=

DAB & FM, USB, iPod, CD’s & aux in – had it a couple of years & use it daily no dramas so far

beaker

Avoid the Intempo RDI. I had one and it suffers from a known component problem. It died a bit out of warranty and they denied all knowledge of said problem and wouldn’t help me out. Now using a non Dab Klipsch which is very good.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Must be really good sound quality.

but them you mention Bose – make your mind up.

momo

I’ll second the Pure recommendation, I’ve got a Chronos iDock, good sound quality with a nice small footprint (I have mine on my bedside table)

Clobber
    Free Member

I’d go down the yamaha route myself, I agree with turnerguy wrt Bose and place yamaha a couple of categories above the pure stuff. My yamaha, can’t remember the model, is excellent.

turboferret

Slight hijack, but my Intempo developed a fault a while ago, out of warranty, and I had it repaired by a guy recommended by the manufacturer for £32. Email kimsteve1907@hotmail.co.uk if you are interested, beaker.

Been fine since, but who knows how it’ll be in a years time….

Cheers, Rich

crispo
    Free Member

If your reasoning for wanting a DAB radio function is just so you can listen to the radio a better bet (and possibly offer better value for money) would be just to get a ipod dock and then download an app for your ipod/iphone.

We have a gear4 dock in the kitchen which is cracking for the price and then tunein radio on our ipod, which was less than £2 I think. Works really well, as long as your WIFI is ok.

zippykona

We have a quite expensive Roberts one but it sounds really compressed. Go Bose if you can afford it.

beaker

@Turboferret… I’ll e mail you a bit later, cheers!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Some of the Tivoli stuff sounds really good – you can expand them with another speaker and even a matching sub – almost real hifi sound.

Roberts are overrated – because they used wooden cases they had a better sound but other than that they are average, and they used to just rebrand other peoples stuff, like Hitachi I think.

Bose use ‘tricks’ to make their stuff sound impressive in a shop but its not real sound quality.

Listen to a piano or something else real on an Acoustimass system, for example, and you will hear how bad it is.

Plus the ‘subwoofer’ is actually playing a larger chunk of the sound than a subwoofer should – a sub has to cut off at 100Hz or you can hear where it is, and the Bose one does not – it is a real cheat.

smoke and mirrors.

The dock and tunein radio is a good idea – DAB is dodgy anyway and if your reception is not spot on it sounds worse than FM, like the radio has been dropped into a bucket of water.

5lab

i think the little denon minisystem might be almost in your pricerange

DaveP

I have a reasonably priced Roberts (~£110) one that just works. wifi, streaming, dab, etc.
    Does not charge iPOD, but didn’t need that.
    Was going to buy a Revo one, but read many horrifying reviews.

xcmtb
    Free Member

Currently using B&W Zeppelin mini and ipod touch with free “Tunein Radio” app.
    It just works perfectley.
    With Apple Airport device it can also be streamed to and from.
    Not the cheapest but room filling sound.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What DAB/Docking stn for a kitchen’ is closed to new replies.